HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder cut during hysterectomy, who will remove my catheter? Bladder cut during hysterectomy, who will remove my catheter?

Unread 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Bladder cut during hysterectomy, who will remove my catheter?

I had LAVH surgery on Feb. 23rd... in which they ended up taking a HUGE right ovary and also cut my bladder... they saw the cut and repaired it during surgery.... I am scheduled for my first post-op on Monday March 5th... I haven't spoken to the uro. at all. So, I don't know how large hole is or anything... the dr said they "nicked" my bladder but I have this catheter for 10 days.... wondering if the Gyn will remove the catheter or who and what side effects to expect because Im clueless.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Re: Bladder cut during hysterectomy, who will remove my catheter?

Is it just a foley catheter? After my surgery, I was sent home with a foley with instructions to take it out the next day. I had a 30cc syringe. Deflated the cath and it came right out.
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM

I had a homecare nurse remove mine after 4 days. I had a visit every other day until I could empty my bladder enough...
Unread 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM

I dont have anyway to deflate it and I'm assuming they are going to remove it Monday morning... my dr sent me home with a leg bag on Friday but on Monday called in for a bed bag... so I wouldnt have to get up all night to empty it...
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

My tip

When you go down for the night put your "night bag" into a pail or some sort of basin just in case of a leak.

I found it easier to just leave the night bag on for the few days and less chance of infection from bag changing... and less time spent getting up to empty it. I wore nighties to keep it simple.

Be sure to wipe down your catheter hose from skin downwards with a clean washcloth a couple times a day.
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:43 PM

My bladder was also cut in two places during my surgery. I came home four days post-op with a catheter. I was stuck with it for 19 days. Not much fun, I know. I just had mine removed this past Monday at the urologists office. It was very fast and easy.

I go back next Thursday for him to remove two stents. I am a little nervous about that. Kind of strange but right now I am seeing my urologist (whom I acquired during surgery) much more than my gynecologist.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM

My bladder was also cut during my surgery. I had the cath in for 7 days. It was removed in the urologist's office (the one who repaired my bladder). They first did a blue-dye test and x-rays to make sure the hole had repaired completely. The removal was painless and my bladder healed without any issues.

My uro-gyn, who did the main surgery, said he would take the cath out at my 2 weeks check up. However, the urologist who did the repair went ahead and took it out at 7 days because the results of the blue-dye test were fine.

I had the stents removed 4 weeks later, also with no issues.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register