HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Keep the ovaries?  Pros and cons? Keep the ovaries? Pros and cons?

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Keep the ovaries? Pros and cons?

Hi all. I'm new here and I'm having my surgery via daVinci robot on April 19. I'd like to hear from folks who have actually been through it - should I keep my ovaries or not? My doctor says I can keep them, but I'm wondering if I should. I'm 38 years old and I understand that if I don't keep them, I will go into menopause. On the other hand, if they are already going to be in there, why wouldn't I just eliminate another risk source while I can? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Re: Keep the ovaries? Pros and cons?

Hi Twinks22! What are you having surgery for?
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Twinks22,

First
!

By eliminating another risk you may be bringing on new risks. Here is a great video explaining one of the many risks of surgical menopause at an early age. 38 is young and HRT isn't always as good as the real thing. I was 55 when my ovaries were removed and need HRT. It took a long time and many adjustments to get to where I am now and I'm sure I'll be on it for many more years.

If your ovaries are healthy, consider keeping them. Hopefully they will keep producing useful hormones for many years to come.

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

I am having surgery because this year was the second year in a row I had an abnormal pap. I tested positive for one of the two strains of high-risk HPV. I had an internal/external ultrasound and there were fibroids in my uterus. Last year my colposcopy showed a couple of areas that needed biopsied. It came back with grade 1 changes. I'm having another colposcopy on Monday. My periods that used to be 28 days to the hour, 4 days of light to normal flow have become 20 days apart, with 3-4 days of spotting, followed by 2-3 days of what I like to call "massacre days" followed by another 2-3 days of spotting. Female cancers run in my family. My husband had a vasectomy 6 years ago so my doctor feels like with everything going on, a total hysterectomy is a good idea.

My doctor said my ovaries looked spectacular on ultrasound. No cysts, everything looked great. She wants me to keep them. I'm just trying to be informed. Thank you for the info
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM

I think that if both of your ovaries look good, and the doctor is not concerned, you should definitely keep them. Why send yourself into an early menopause if you don't need to. :-)

I wanted to keep one of mine, but I was diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis, with cysts presenting themselves on one ovary. Because of the risk of endo returning if I didn't remove both, I decided to go ahead and have both removed. Turns out that I had a bigger cyst on the ovary that looked okay in the ultrasound so I was thankful that I did what I did, but the hormone replacement has been a process for me. I'm getting it under control now, but if I had healthy ovaries and no endometriosis, I would have definitely kept my ovaries!!

There's a lot of information on this site regarding this topic, so continue to research and ask lots of questions so you are totally informed in your decision!!!

Best of luck to you!!! :-)
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Hi Sister,
My story is identical to Pattypat's. At age 55, was still not in menopause by my gyn was certain that taking the ovaries was the right thing to do "given my age". I hit the menopause wall with a fury and it wasn't pretty.
That all said, I am four months post-op, have found a form of HRT that works well for me and I feel wonderful - really wonderful, but the journey was difficult. Given your age - if your risk is very low for ovarian cancer, I would recommend you keep your ovaries and let your body be natural. Best of luck to you - not having periods (especially terrible ones ) is pretty darn wonderful!
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Hi,

Removing the fallopian tubes significantly reduces your future risk of ovarian cancer. Because leaving the ovaries is supposed to protect you against heart disease, but I still wanted to minimize my cancer risk, I had the tubes taken out but my ovaries left in. In Canada they're recommending it as standard practice because it so greatly reduces the risk of cancer. Something to look into! We have both heart disease and cancer in my family, so I know that this is a tough decision. Google fallopian tube removal and ovarian cancer - I think you'll find the research pretty reassuring.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.