HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

endometrial cancer Grade 1 Stage 1b endometrial cancer Grade 1 Stage 1b

Unread 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Re: endometrial cancer Grade 1 Stage 1b

I've had one post-op appt, but that was 10 days after the surgery to remove my staples.

I do have the pathology report; I guess it was just hard to sort all that information out. I've got grade 1 stage 1C. I've had a hard time finding mention of that stage online. I've only found things like IIIC1 and IIIC2. I did a medical review article that mentioned FIGO IC, and said that for that stage either pelvic RT or brachiotherapy are indicated. I do wonder what to expect.

I know they checked 34 lymph nodes and didn't find anything there. I finally found reference to the wash, which was clean. I had fibroids as well as mysterious masses; one of the masses may have been punctured during removal, which is scary.

Reading up on all of this is making me a tiny bit panicky...but you folks sound pretty calm, so I'm going to try to follow your example. And to keep reading up!
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM

I had Stage 1 Grade 1b and my doctor's approach was fairly aggressive. He did a minimally invasive LAVH, and pelvic washing, 20pelvic nodes removed, and one pelvic aortic node removed, also took out my omentum and ovaries. No cancer was found outside my uterus. He told me to see the radiologist to discuss internal brachytherapy. The radiologist said that I would be a 0% recurrence risk (my oncologist insists it is 2% instead of the 5-15% risk I would have by not doing it). Anyway, my husband and I decided to go with the three treatments. Yes, dilation is a must, but I would rather work with it (every other day when not having sex) than risk a recurrence and have cancer growing in the vagina (or spreading to the rectum). My internist also said that if she were faced with the same choice, she would take the more aggressive option. I have had no other side-effects from this form of radiation. It is so much easier than dealing with the effects of external beam radiation. Please keep us posted on your decisions.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM

LovePeonies, I am so glad to see your report of the lack of side effects from brachytherapy. I have just had my second of five treatments and so far so good, although I understand that most of the side effects would likely show up a week or so after treatment. Your surgery was about a year before mine. When did you finish the treatments?

I've seen different reports that the dilators need to be used forever, and others recommending decreasing use during the first year and then not at all. What did your doctor recommend? My radiation oncologist said I probably wouldn't need them but that we could talk about it if I did.

They said I was most likely to have fatigue. I have to get my mother's house emptied and put on the market, so I have a lot to do whether I'm tired or not. Hope the fatigue isn't too bad.

alyssum, how are you doing? About the Stage 1C - they changed the staging definitions a few years ago and that's probably why you aren't finding much about 1C. You might ask your doctor about the specifics if the path report is confusing.

Good luck to you all!
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Anne21, so glad for your response. I don't know alot about Stage 1C, which I assume involves the penetration of the uterine wall of more that 50%? I hope you are doing well. Brachytherapy was not a bad process for me at all and I was minimally fatigued. Just take it easy for a couple of days after each treatment. I'm a realtor so am understanding of what it is like to empty out a mother's house--my own parents as well. Seems like so much has to go on at the same time we get sick... As a 58 year old and with my ovaries gone, my hugest work is to make sure the dilation gets done, because my doctor will absolutely not allow me to use any low dose estrogen cream. I found a substitute cream by doing some research and found an NIH study which backs it up and my doctor agreed for me to use it. I'm not sure if I am allowed to mention it on this post but I have had good results. My three treatments were done exactly one year ago and I am doing OK. I personally have had no other negative effects.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM

LovePeonies, thank you. Just to clarify, my statement about Stage 1C was to alyssum, because she said that was her stage and she was having trouble finding information. Mine was Stage 1A, Grade 1, with less than 50% of the uterine wall involved.

I'm 56, and haven't asked about estrogen cream but it's interesting to know that there's a good substitute.

Thanks again.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks, Anne21. We have a similar situation so please continue to update us. Allysum, please try not to panic. Please all of you update with our support.
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:56 AM

What vaginal dilators are you ladies using?
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:02 AM

Mine are from Soul Source. Lots of sizes and they are made of silicone. How are you doing with yours?
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM

I got mine from a site my gyn recommended. Vagismus.com. They are also silicone. I am doing ok but of course I wish non of this had happened to any of us. I had surgery last July for stage1. Now I have vaginal atrophy from the loss of the estrogen. Gyn won't give me estrogen.
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM

I had my surgery 2/12. Had a good recovery with no complications. Final path report was Grade 1 Stage 1b. Met with the radiologist. Based on my path report therapy was not recommended. I will have my 3 month check-up on May 9th and will have one more discussion with my surgeon. I will make my final decision for further treatment after that visit. I'm 62 years old and had everything removed with no spreading. Amazing how many differing opinions are out there among doctors. Makes it hard on a patient.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.