HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 18,2012 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 18,2012

Unread 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 18,2012

mine was yesterday at 8am. I'm home now. Everything went extremely well. It hurts, but not worse than my cramps pre-op.

I think mainly having gas hurts, but that's it. I lost very little blood, too. The nurse said she was surprised-- it was only 20ccs!
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Greetings. I am now on the other side and it is wonderful; no more waiting, no worries, and no more trying to get everything done!

I had a LSH, kept part of the cervix and everything else is gone. The doctor found a 'medium size acorn squash' uterus, a grapefruit and a tangerine size fibroid outside the uterus, and tangerine sized size ovaries, but NO cancer. I could not wait to get out of post-op so I could see my husband and hear what they did to me. Thank God it was only this I needed.

My stay in the hospital was awesome. Every single person was kind, helpful, and caring. Went in at 6 am, at 7 went to pre-op, at 7:50 went to surgery 10 minutes early, at 11 was in post-op, at 12 in recovery. Went home at 4. Unbelievable to do this so quickly. No problems to report.

Feeling better every hour. Taking only 1 pain pill every 5 hours along with a colease as I haven't done a bm yet. Wearing my HysterSisters abdominal binder with the ice pack and adding another ice pack in a wash cloth above it; HEAVEN. I recommend this to everyone. The pressure is very nice when standing up. Reading my get well card from HS was really nice, it put a smile on my face. So glad to be here.

More info on the process next time. Right now I am sleepy. Take care of yourself everyone. love, K
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Great to hear so many sisters have had good experiences.
Welcome to the next recovery stage
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Well its done, and dont think I anticipated the lack of pain! I do have a high tolerance, but this is better than expected! Came in at 6am, cried my eyes out when I got to the prep room...really hit me what was about to happen...took about 15for me to get it together...my poor husband felt helpless! Got wheeled in at 7:29...last thing I remember is the cute nurse aneshtitist (sp?) saying he added a cocktail fentinol. Out.
Next thing I am in recovery 1.5 hrs early cause it went so well. Mind you I did not have fibroids etc so probably easier surgery than most. Got to my room at noon, slept until 3. Drunk dialed a few friends inbetween naps! Pain is at 1, really feels like bad period cramps. 6:30 got the catheter out and feel much better...that was uncomfortable. Got alittle nauseous at 6 but burping resolved that. Have had lots of water, juice, decaf tea..few crackers but not much of an appetite. Belly binder rocks! My hospital has them. Feels like I did too many sit ups, but once I got out of bed I am not so scared. Thankfully in private room so going to chill for a while and read my book. This site really has gotten me thru the last 3 months can't thank you all enough...really truly special women to share their stories! lol last night reading the posts of how to do an enema when all I wanted to do was cry since it was the last time in a Long time to have sex w my hubby! Its all good. Hope all you girls sleep well tonight...I am going to ask for a pain killer!

For all you sistas going in tomorrow will be praying for you...keep thinking its not going to be that bad...WILL IT TO BE. oX
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 18,2012

Had a DaVinci hysterectomy March 12, spent two nights in hospital but I'm home now. Great doctor, but I was under much longer than expected with a very large uterus with fibroids. First day was terrible. I have back problems so it's very hard to sleep on my back, and I couldn't even shift my weight at all. But I got my catheter out the next morning and things are better. Tried to spend time in the chair because it's so hard to get out of bed. But now I'm walking and drinking water and peeing a lot. Not looking forward to trying to sleep tonight. I actually feel best when I am standing up.

Thanks for all the info, sisters!
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM

March 13
I was awake at 4:45 a.m.
Fed Freedom at 5:15 and let her out for 20 mins.
Hubby was up and ready to go. got my bag and out the door we were to the castle.
arrived at 6 a.m.
but 6:15 I was in the prep room changed in my lovely gown that I would ware for the next 24 or so hours. lol
Talked with Dr. S's assistant she wanted to know what I knew about the surgery. She told me that I would be tilted a bit upside down so my organs would be out of the way for the surgery. (cool)
Than the anesthesiologist came in talked to me about allergies, what some of the effects of the anesthesia might have with feeling like sand in my eyes, my face would look swollen b/c of the angle I was at. I gave him a Tootsie roll pop and he liked that.
Dr. S came in to say hello and meet Jim told me what she was going to do and she didn't expect anything other than taking everything out. She gave me a little hug and a smile and off she went.
The anesthesiologist came in again asked if I was ready, gave my sweetheart a kiss and said I love you and the Dr. gave me the shot of happy juice in my IV and we went through one set of doors and two sets of doors and I didn't even get to see the di Vinci robot. I was OUT!
Next thing I know I was in the recovery room and a nurse talking to me and had a hard time waking up. Than she told me that they were taking me up to my room.
I ended up on the 3rd floor Maternity ward. That was SO NICE, and quiet up there. I finally woke up for a little bit about 1 ish to my sweet husband sitting there. He told me that he walked into the wrong room b/c there was a new mother nursing her baby. The receptionist gave him the wrong room #. I told Jim to go home about 2:30 and then went to sleep I ate a little lunch and fell back to sleep. lol
I woke up for dinner and was up until 10:15ish and when back to sleep till the nurse came to give me my meds every 4 hours.

March 14
I went for a walk with Barb the nurse about 4:00 and visited and welcomed the babies to the world. and than walked back and fell asleep for 2 hours. when she came back in to introduce me to my new day nurse.
Dr. S came in and told me what she found and how things went. Sh said she found some endometriosis once she got in there and it was quite a bit. She said that was all, no cancerous cells or anything else. She said that explained why I was in so much pain during my monthly. She said she didn't put me on the Estrogen patch b/c she didn't want the endometriosis to come back if there was any left that she missed. That was fine. I haven't had a flash or anything yet but to let her know if it was something I couldn't tolerate.
I needed a pain killer cause my pain was at a 6-7 so she gave me the stronger stuff but wasn't till after breakfast, a buffet they had down at the dining room down the hall. I was going to call him but I knew he was asleep which he needed..
I've peed a lot but haven't passed gas or had a BM (no wonder I'm empty)

Noon I left the castle with my "fixed" shirt and left the candy for the staff and told them thank you for all they do. They thought that was great that I thought of them. even the house keeping staff and wait staff that brought my meals.
I had one nurse Colleen come in to say good bye and wish me the best in my recovery.

It's 9:03 and I still haven't passed gas yet but was told to take a Gas-X so that's what I took.

I'm doing good so far and happy to be home w/ my hubby and puppy.

I love my belly pillow and i don't care how looks when i walk with it. I happy to be on the other side and healing. Rest ladies and don't over do it. we only get one chance to heal.
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM

Hi all,
Had my surgery yesterday, a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy and they took out the right ovary as well.

We got to the hospital a little early and they took me right back to pre-op. I can't remember where I read that someone brought chocolates for the staff when they had their surgery but I'd like to thank that person! We brought Ghiradelli chocolates and everyone was so happy We got lots of attention.

I don't have great veins but they got the IV right in with no problem. Had a little wait but then they gave me my "margarita" and I was out very quickly. The surgery took 4 1/2 hours because they were trying something new I guess. Woke up in recovery with awful shoulder pain. The doctor had warned me that the gas hitting my diaphragm could cause referred pain to my shoulder and she wasn't kidding. That was the worst part, but it didn't last long, thank goodness. Definitely the gas pains are the worst part. Was in recovery 2 hours. Had a low grade fever but I started guzzling fluids and it went back down quickly. I had a fairly restful night. I couldn't even feel the catheter so it was nice to be able to drink so much and not worry about getting up that first night.

At 11:00 p.m. I mentioned to my nurse that I was really hungry and he brought me a turkey sandwich. It was so nice to eat! I got my oxygen taken off first thing in the morning and then my nurse took out the catheter. He was a little rough pulling it out and it stung, but it didn't last long. I got a full breakfast, took a walk around the halls (I definitely recommend walking, it feels so good to get up and it really helps move out the gas), was able to pee and pass gas. My doctor came at 8:00 a.m, called me a "star patient" and said I was ready to go home. We were out the door by 10:30.

I'm very bloated and retaining fluid. Can't get my rings on and even my face looks a bit puffy. I highly recommend the perfect pocket abdominal binder that the HysterSisters store sells. It feels wonderful, really helps keep the pain down when you cough and are getting up and sitting down.

My incisions (3 of them) are tiny, the stitches are internal and the outside layers of skin are glued, which is nice because it's not at all uncomfortable to have clothing against them. I'm having no problem eating or drinking. I had a nice nap today. I have a prescription for 2 percoset every 4 hours but I only need one. The pain isn't all that bad.

I've read so much that the waiting is the hardest part, and it really is. All of the hospital staff were terrific and very nice. My doctors were amazing. So very glad to have it done and be in the recovery phase. My husband has been a huge help. He spent the night at the hospital with me and I was so glad he did. I can't say that I feel great, but I don't feel nearly as bad as I thought I would.

Thank you so much to those of you who have told your stories here. I have gotten so much encouragement from them, got great ideas for things to bring to the hospital and to have at the house when I got home. My experience wouldn't have been as easy without this web site!

Unread 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Had my surgery yesterday morning right around 9 am. Was done and in recovery by 10:30 and in my room by 11:30. Got up and walked overnight started the "gasses" moving, removed Vaginal packing and catherter around 3 am and IV out this morning around 10 am. left the hospital at 1 pm.
1. I should have taken ear plugs was in a room with a snorer and it was just hard to sleep.
2. I love the adominal binder I bought from the sister store
3. I love percocet even more than the binder.
All in all, I am feeling much better than I thought I would, It is amazing.
Oh and I kept both ovaries, doc said they looked fine, and my cystocele bladder, moved back in place on its own after my uterus and cervix were removed!!
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Hi my sisters,

Surgery was yesterday afternoon at 1:00 they ended up taking everything out except my left ovary. To say I was nervous was a understatement. i had wonderful team of doctors and nurses.

I ended up in the recovery room around 5:30 so surgery lasted 4 1/2 hrs. I was then taken to my room at 6:30 with much to my surprise a room filled with friend and family, and also a room filled with flowers.

The pain the first night was managed with pain meds. I was discharged today around 3:00 in the afternoon. I am having a lot of pain where my incisions are at but taking the meds on time helps.

My chief complaint now is pain in my shoulders from all the gas they pumped in me. Anyone have any suggestions for easing that pain?

I'm glad to finally be on the other side thank you for all the great info you guys gave me.

Much love to u all
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:38 AM

I guess I spoke too soon! I had no pain meds the first night and then coughed on day 2 and had a bit more pain. I ended up calling the doctor on day 3 as I was in excruciating pain (burning, searing) down my right side. The doc inspected me and said I may have done too much (although I didn't do anything except go to the bathroom) and gave me much stronger meds. He patted my arm and the nurse hugged me when I cried (the pain was a 9). I haven't moved in 24 hours and still hurts so bad when I do! I'm going to stay positive however, and just keep on sleeping! Thanks for all of your thoughts.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.