HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pessary use after hysterectomy Pessary use after hysterectomy

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Pessary use after hysterectomy

I have been reading on this forum for awhile. I had a complete hysterectomy 14yrs ago and I now have a lg rectocele. My dr started me on estrace cream to improve my vaginal tissues and I got a pessary today. I can't believe how good I feel at this moment. I was taught how to place it correctly and remove it before leaving the office. I no longer have terrible back aches and pelvic pain/pulling.I was so miserable before the pessary.
This is my first day with it and I can even have a bowel movement without pain now!
I have a 12hr job, so we'll see how it goes with that. But I am so excited to be feeling so well.
My dr will do surgery if/when I want it. For now, if this pessary can keep me comfortable, I can have time to think about surgery. I wanted to share this positive experience.

I
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Pessary use after hysterectomy

Thank you for your post. I previously had a TVH but I have been having terrible trouble with my rectocele which I had elected not to have fixed the time. May I ask what kind of pessary you're using? I wasn't even able to keep a tampon in before my TVH. How are you doing after using it for a few days? Thanks for reminding me, even confirming the back ache that comes with this, it's relentless.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Re: Pessary use after hysterectomy

My pessary is the ring with holes in the middle. It's even a pale pink color. It has been a learning process trying to put it in or get it out. Once it is in, it is like suctioned in there, so it doesn't slip out. It does help me to be more comfortable at work. Sometimes on a day off, I give myself a break from it, but I do have a back ache and pelvic pressure on those days.

I am glad I have the pessary, although I am going to discuss surgery options with my Dr at my next appointment. I really don't want surgery but I feel like the rectocele /cystocele and the problems they create are controlling my life.
I would rec trying a pessary to anyone who can benefit.
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Pessary for a falling bladder. Has anyone tried this? I have tried 2 this week but both "fell out!" I don't want the surgery at this point but am not ruling it out at some point~
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM

I've been using a pessary for six weeks now for uterine prolapse while waiting for my surgery to be scheduled and will say it's been a life saver. I could barely function before I got it, lots of pain and general discomfort, and it did help me a lot to be able to wait for surgery but isn't a long-term option for me as I still can't do my normal activities. Mine is next to the smallest ring size as mentioned above and it helps greatly to attach a string to it for easy removal. Learned that the hard way. It fits and stays in differently than a tampon which I struggled with for years. If it falls out, I would assume a larger size is needed. I had to go down a size due to discomfort sitting with a larger size.
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:46 AM

I'm almost wishing I would have skipped the hysterectomy all together and just stayed w/ the pessary. Now my bladder is prolapsed, Wondering if I can just use the pessary, but there is no cervex to hold it in place? Will it "hold up" my bladder?
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Check with your doctor, jforj, it may have t be refitted.
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Thank you!
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Not to sound ignorant, but what is a "Pessary"? So many terms I have never heard of.
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM

I received a donut type pessary today at my first visit with the doc I chose for a second opinion about my hysterectomy. It had slipped before I got home, but in the few hours before then I could not believe the difference. I have had continuous pressure from a stage 2 prolapse of uterus. It was like I constantly felt as if all my organs would drop out of my vagina. It was painful to wipe because I would hit my cervix. The uterus has been smashing my bladder making it difficult to hold urine and difficult to release urine. Once the pessary was in place I used the restroom and instead of forcing the urine out I was able to relax and just let it go. My bladder even held more urine. I am going back tomorrow to have the pessary re positioned and possibly try a different size. I am grateful to find something that gave me so much relief so quickly and gives me time to decide what surgery I want done eventually. I have not been able to have sex for 6 months due to my issues. The doctor said I can with this pessary. I promise to come back and let you all know if it works or not. A few hours may not be much to go on, but ohhhhhh it was such a relief from the past 6 months that I am willing to give this a real shot.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.