HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Postponing my surgery: Vitamin D deficiency and fibroids Postponing my surgery: Vitamin D deficiency and fibroids

Unread 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Postponing my surgery: Vitamin D deficiency and fibroids

I think I made an emotional, gut-reaction decision last week when I scheduled my surgery the day after talking with my doctor, and after having a 12-day, heavy period. I found out I'm significantly anemic AND that my Vitamin D levels are very low and "insufficient." I'm on iron therapy and taking megadoses of Vitamin D and know that I'll start feeling better in a few weeks and be more clear-headed.

I have fibroids and have had some really bad periods and pain recently, but have been exploring natural, homeopathic methods for shrinking fibroids and getting rid of the problems naturally and think I will give that a try before going forward with the surgery. A few articles that I read recently stressed that low Vitamin D levels can contribute to fibroid growth, so I'm hoping that getting those levels up will help...makes sense! I'm not a candidate for ablation or hormones (birth control pills), but trying natural options can't hurt and may very well help. If not, I can still opt to have the surgery later.
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Vitamin D deficiency and fibroids

FYI...new research has indicated that Vitamin D deficiency may very well be linked to formation/growth of fibroids and that bringing those levels up may shrink the fibroids. I just found out that I am deficient (as well as anemic) and am hoping that once my levels are optimal that my fibroid issues will be improved. I've postponed my surgery to give alternate methods a chance.
Unread 06-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Re: Strange question to help make a decision.

VAprof,

I take 25micrograms (500% of the daily RDA) of Vit D2 daily -- is this about what you were taking?

Thanks for any info on that!
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Re: Postponing my surgery: Vitamin D deficiency and fibroids

Hi Martha,
It's my understanding that Vitamin D3 is the one that is needed and the type that is optimally absorbed into the body. I have problems absorbing it (and some of the B vitamins) because I am gluten intolerant so I take--and need to take--dosages higher than the average person. Right now I'm taking several thousand units a day but am in a stable, good range. That's just for maintenance. When I was low, I was taking more than 10,000 units a day for about six weeks to get my levels up.

Again, the amount I was taking and continue to take is higher than what most people need due to my absorption issues. All of that was also done under supervision of my doctor with regular testing to monitor the levels. When I was tested in early May, my Vit. D levels were back up in the "very good" range so I dropped to a maintenance dose. I'll have my levels checked again at the end of the summer.

I am happy to report that my periods in May and June were normal, with this last one coming right on time--not weeks early as had been the case (May was a week early but that was better than previous months...I bled for pretty much the entire month of April!) and I had no extremely heavy bleeding, no bad pain, and was not passing HUGE clots as I had been. I think for me, getting my Vit. D levels up has helped with my fibroids. If things continue like this, I'll be happy to wait things out until menopause!
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Good luck with it. I hope it works for you.

From what I understand, anemia can cause you to have heavier periods (which, of course, seems counter-intuitive). Getting your iron levels up may certainly help make your periods lighter.

With vitamin D, as far as I know, low levels can contribute to fibroid formation, but I don't think there's evidence that getting your levels up will shrink them.

For me, I was also diagnosed as anemic and low in vitamin D. Taking supplements, for me, didn't reduce my symptoms at all.

Having said that, I think it's well worth exploring all the options you can to avoid a hysterectomy if you have fibroids. I believe it should always be the last option, though.
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM

I'm hoping it maintains for me. There was really recent research from this March (I printed out med journal articles and shared them with my doc) about lab tests with rats that showed Vit. D supplementation actually shrunk fibroids significantly. Human trials were pending but I hoped for positive results for me. The docs in those med articles said they suspected the same might be the case for humans--some at least!

Like you, Lotus, I was also diagnosed as "significantly anemic" in March and was on iron supplementation until recently. My levels there are finally pretty normal. I think that helped me too. As I've posted before, all of this is so individualistic depending on so many factors...what may work for some may not for others. At least it gives ideas and options to explore. For me, surgery was and is a last resort. I won't ever count it out, but hope I won't need to do it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.