HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Radiation treatment for DCIS Radiation treatment for DCIS

Unread 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Radiation treatment for DCIS

I had a lumpectomy surgery for DCIS early stage breast cancer on 2-3-12. I did get my pathology results and all my margins clear, now I am having time to heal. I am suppose to have radiation treatment, but there is no clear date. My next appointment is 5-23-12, I am a little worried because it seems a little long to wait. I would like to know if someone had the same experience on waiting for radiation treatment. I going to call the clinic this week to see if they can get things moving.
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Re: Radiation treatment for DCIS

I think you might have slipped through the cracks, so you should call and be sure. I don't know what the protocol is for radiation for DCIS, but for me (IDC), everthing was 6 weeks, this, then 6 weeks that (surgery, chemo, radiation). Might not be the same for DCIS because it's considered confined to ducts, not out wandering around. I dunno. Given them a call and ask when you're supposed to start radiation.

Good luck. Radiation is a piece of cake!

Suzanne
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM

Mine was IDC and I had the Mammosite internal radiation whih started about 2 weeks after surgery.

I don't know how that works for DCIS but you will feel better if you call and get an answer -- that question deserves your doctor's attention.
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

I finally got my 6 week radiation treatment last week was the last of my treatment. I felt a little tired but not bad, I still manage to do my normal housework and stuff. Of course it's like having a bad sun burn I have been using 100% aloe vera gel it seems to be helping. Now I have an appointment in 2 weeks with the medical Oncologist regarding Tamoxifen. Which I'm not to crazy about I know about all the side effects. I have 0 stage DCIS clear margins, and have no uterus and cervix but I do have my ovaries and no breast cancer in my family. I'm even wondering why would they suggest this to me, of course I'm going to let them know what I know about it and see what there going to tell me. If there is someone that has the same issue as me I would like hear from you. Thank you
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Hi Raven,

I had DCIS stage 0 very blessed for that. I also had an lumpectomy in 12/2006 and then we waited until 2/2007 for the radaition and only symptom was very tired too, but not to bad and I too have no family history breat cancer. Then I started Tomoxifen 8/2007 and this August I can go off tomoxifen 5 yrs now The only thing I remember the drs rushed was my surgury for my drs recommended radiation tx did not stress timeline, but things might of changed.

I recently had a historectomy 3/7/2012 7.5 fibroid so with my breast Ca I had my ovaries, flopine tubes and uterus removed and no hormore tx because my breast cancer.

It has been 3 months since my historectomy and finally feeling better only I thought this was the worst surgery to recover from. I hope this info helps. Wishing you the best of health.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.