HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What Do The Hormone Test Results Mean? What Do The Hormone Test Results Mean?

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
What Do The Hormone Test Results Mean?

Hi All, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have recently had some blood work done and have had some of the results back. Unfortunately, I no longer have any idea about my cycle after my hyst a few years ago. I still have my ovaries.

The tests I had are:
FSH - 3.1
LH - 2.1
Progesterone - 16 nmol/l (5.03 ng/ml approx)
Estrogen - still awaiting results
Testosterone - still awaiting results
DHEA - Still awaiting results

The lab said that the three that are back are "normal", but I really don't have the foggiest idea of what "normal" is, despite trying to find answers all over the internet.

Can anyone help? Is there a good chart on line anywhere that shows all the levels overlapped during the cycle?
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Re: What Do The Hormone Test Results Mean?

I think I would ask the doctor to get it straight from him.

Hope get some answers on all your tests soon.

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Well, my DHEA (DHA Sulphate) came back as high, at 11.70 umol/L (the normal range for someone my age is 1.2 - 7.3 umol/L). Unfortunately the lab decided not to do the estrogen test so I've got to go back for more bloods to be taken.

My doctor has no idea what the high DHA sulphate result means, and from my own research, on it's own, it's not indicative of anything specific any other tests need to be conducted to establish why this one has come back so high.

I spoke to the Menopause Clinic who advised that just because the results are normal doesn't mean that I'm not pre/peri meno.
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM

When I had my ovaries, before my hyst, I started having menopause symptoms. The doctor would not run tests to see if I was in menopause because he says if the ovaries are still working(peri menopause) they will fluctuate from high to low and are not accurate tests unless you test several times in a day. He went by my symptoms and gave me hormones for the hot flashes and it helped. People are so different in how they feel in respect to what their ovaries are doing. The tests may show normal and you may be having awful hot flashes, so yes, the tests aren't the whole picture.

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauz_lea View Post
Hi All, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have recently had some blood work done and have had some of the results back. Unfortunately, I no longer have any idea about my cycle after my hyst a few years ago. I still have my ovaries.

The tests I had are:
FSH - 3.1
LH - 2.1
Progesterone - 16 nmol/l (5.03 ng/ml approx)
Estrogen - still awaiting results
Testosterone - still awaiting results
DHEA - Still awaiting results

The lab said that the three that are back are "normal", but I really don't have the foggiest idea of what "normal" is, despite trying to find answers all over the internet.

Can anyone help? Is there a good chart on line anywhere that shows all the levels overlapped during the cycle?
Regular blood work is not going to give you the best results;it has to be blood serum or saliva.Find out what your Dr.ordered and if not serum?have he/she reorder the test.
A-
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauz_lea View Post
Well, my DHEA (DHA Sulphate) came back as high, at 11.70 umol/L (the normal range for someone my age is 1.2 - 7.3 umol/L). Unfortunately the lab decided not to do the estrogen test so I've got to go back for more bloods to be taken.

My doctor has no idea what the high DHA sulphate result means, and from my own research, on it's own, it's not indicative of anything specific any other tests need to be conducted to establish why this one has come back so high.

I spoke to the Menopause Clinic who advised that just because the results are normal doesn't mean that I'm not pre/peri meno.
Why did the Lab have the authority to not do a test the Dr. ordered??

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.