HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What worked for me for fecal impaction after surgery What worked for me for fecal impaction after surgery

Unread 03-30-2012, 07:27 AM
What worked for me for fecal impaction after surgery

Hi everyone .. Im new here, and am 19 days post op. I only had my Uterus removed, plus had a Tension Free Vaginal Tape put in.

Anyway, I had severe fecal impaction after surgery too, and decided that there was no way I was going to strain, as I was petrified of causing myself damage.

The recipe that worked for me to get things moving were, just before bedtime I would mix 1 heaped teaspoon of Psyllium Husk in a glass of Prune Juice and swallow 2 Magnesium tablets with it too. Drink it fast, as the Psyllium Husk swells very quickly in the juice, and you would have to end up eating it with a spoon.

In the morning, just after my breakfast I would get a huge (slightly painful) urge to go. And when I did go, there were copious amounts (sorry tmi) and no need to strain whatsoever.

I hope someone finds this useful
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Re: Fecal Impaction, 4 days Post-Op

Jaxx59, Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago! I had some real problems for a few weeks. I drank prune juice and took stool softeners every day, but still had some pretty painful BM's. Things are much better now thank goodness but I do still take the stool softeners. Don't ever want to go back to where I was!

Unread 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Hi Nonna4

No, I dont want to go back there either .. It ruined the first 2 weeks of my recovery!

If/when you decide to come off the stool softener and you feel yourself getting bunged up again (which I hope you dont) give it a try. Ive been told as its a purely natural product, and you can take it for as long as you want.

Apparently, it also has the added benefits of lowering cholesterol (like Oat Bran) and mopping up excess dietary fats in your system, and is therefore used for weight control!
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx59 View Post
Hi Nonna4

No, I dont want to go back there either .. It ruined the first 2 weeks of my recovery!

If/when you decide to come off the stool softener and you feel yourself getting bunged up again (which I hope you dont) give it a try. Ive been told as its a purely natural product, and you can take it for as long as you want.

Apparently, it also has the added benefits of lowering cholesterol (like Oat Bran) and mopping up excess dietary fats in your system, and is therefore used for weight control!
I will - Thanks! I would really like to get off stool softeners but have been afraid to. The weight control is also attractive. I have lost 10lbs. since surgery and would like to keep it off!
Unread 03-31-2012, 03:10 AM

I lost exactly 10lbs too, and from reading other peoples experiences I was fully expecting to put on 10lbs, so I couldn't believe it when I jumped on the scales!

Now ive just got to make sure I don't put it all back on!!
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:11 AM

Did u feel a bit of heaviness in vagina after the hard BMs? I experienced fecal impaction last week (3 wks) post op & the painfully hard BMs. Now I don't know if it's all in my mind but I think I feel heaviness in vagina. Did u get checked out immediately after to make sure no damage was done?
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Re: What worked for me for fecal impaction after surgery

Quote:
The recipe that worked for me to get things moving were, just before bedtime I would mix 1 heaped teaspoon of Psyllium Husk in a glass of Prune Juice and swallow 2 Magnesium tablets with it too. Drink it fast, as the Psyllium Husk swells very quickly in the juice, and you would have to end up eating it with a spoon.
Warning:
Before taking this advice, please check with your own physician. If you already have a bowel obstruction (and may not be aware of it), this could be harmful. Also, without adequate fluid intake, this could result in serious bowel or esophageal obstruction.
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM

After resorting to an enema for my first two bowel movements (terribly humbling experience!!!), I have been taking the Metamucil several times a day (it's the 1 heaped teaspoon of Psyllium Husk in a glass of water, and agree with the warning- it says right on the label to get it with 8 oz of water or more!). Better to keep it soft than to deal with it at the bottom end as a hard lump. My doctor didn't give me a laxative, she just said to start on fiber the moment I got home, which was a few meals too late, IMHO.
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Yeah I've been taking citrucil (fiber supplements) daily as well as stool softeners, plus eating fiber foods to avoid that from happening again. It's been working, but I wonder if damage cud have been done to my vagina from the pushing that took place when having those hard BMs??
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maemae37 View Post
Yeah I've been taking citrucil (fiber supplements) daily as well as stool softeners, plus eating fiber foods to avoid that from happening again. It's been working, but I wonder if damage cud have been done to my vagina from the pushing that took place when having those hard BMs??

What makes you think there is damage? I think it's normal to feel if the vagina has been "pushed on"- there is a common muscular wall between the end of the intestine and the vaginal wall, but unless there is new bleeding or a new pain that wasn't there, I would not suspect damage. It is very possible to pop a stitch if they are new- I don't know where your stitches are. The hard BMs tend to rip the anus a little, but the vagina is a much more pliable, adjustable organ, and you have that muscular wall in-between. If you really think you did damage, then I would see your doctor right away, you might have popped a stitch somewhere. The doctor could tell you for sure upon examination.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway