HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:12 AM
maca root

Hi I am 4 days post op total hysterectomy. I guess I will have to think about hormones soon. Has anyone tried macs root instead?
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Smile - maca root Re: maca root

Hi, I take maca root. I don't see a huge difference in libido or hot flashes, but my energy is up. I am almost 4 months post-op and my major complaint would be "dryness" everywhere. Hair, nails, skin, female parts, etc......working on that now and still trying to avoid HRT. Good luck!
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Re: maca root

Hi,
One of my doctors recommended Maca as a progesterone substitute (for women who couldn't take progesterone).

I haven't really read anywhere about it's effectiveness. I bought some ready to try, but ended up finding someone who would help me with progesterone therapy.

I am using high dose transdermal progesterone therapy and it is helping with many issues (hot flashes, joint pain, brain fogginess and overall well-being). I have read that it can also help with bone density. I will be finding out in September when I get my next bone density test.

Estrogen is the hormone that usually is recommended to help with all these issues. I can't take estrogen because of cancer, but I don't know why the progesterone therapy is working. It just is and I'm grateful.

Best of luck on your healing journey.
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:06 AM

Thank you for the info. I am going to try the maca before hrt. I am only 42 and am afraid to go on estrogen because of cancer risks in my family.
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM

I had TAH BSO on Feb 17th and my ovaries had estrogen and progesterone receptive cancer so I cannot do any HRT. I am trying black cohosh now and it seems to be helping the hot flashes. I asked my onc and he said if I wanted to do herbs that it would be ok. I heard about the maca and was going to try it.
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM

has anyone tried pregnenolone ? I bought some face cream called Eterna 27 with this . My skin not only looked better but I felt a bit of a lift.
I can't post the link but just google pregnenolone and read Wiki.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway