HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal repair Vaginal repair

Unread 01-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Vaginal repair

I am now 6 days post op, vaginal hyst(kept ovaries), vaginal repair. Its the vaginal repair that is really uncomfortable. My doctor told me to treat it like an episiotomy. Well this hurts a h### of alot more than my episiotomies ever did. I have a throbbing pain back at my rectum that is driving me crazy. I am taking Darvocet. Have moved my bowels once and it was not a pleasant experience. Has anyone else had this problem. I am also starting to worry now that everything is tightened up sex may be uncomfortable. Yes I am looking ahead 5 weeks so why worry now? Guess I don't have anything else to do.
Thanks alot just wanted to vent. I don't even feel like getting up and doing things yet which is frustrating. I over did it alittle yesterday and paid for it last night. Will be good today. Hey this is the first time I have been able to sit at the computer. Even if it is on my donut pillow. '
Thanks again,
Tonya
Unread 01-10-2002, 06:45 AM
Been there!

Hi Tonya,

I had a TVH with A&P repairs on Oct. 3. Yes, the episiotomy was the worst part!! It is a very diiferent kind you have than when you have a baby. It is deeper into the tissues. I thought I would never be able to sit down again! Stay off your bottom as much as you can. Also, Tucks were a lifesaver. Put one of the pads on the spot and leave it on. Very cool and soothing. Part of the trouble is all the swelling and that pulls on those stitches - ouch. As far as sex, yes, it does take awhile to get back in the swing of things. Three months later and it is still not back to normal, but getting better each time. You will have to be patient! I wish I had been better informed about the epis. part. Also, when you are more healed, try massaging the perineam with ky jelly or something. I felt very "stiff" there for a while, but it has softened up finally. The massaging sounds wierd but it helps! Just yesterday I was thinking how great I feel, no periods, no PMS , much more erergy.

Hope this helps. Misery loves company you know! It will get better!

FRAN
Unread 01-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Vaginal repair

I had TAH and A&P (perinium included) and extensive bowel repairs and a birtch bladder proceedure done on November 16th.
Beleive me I can relate!

(My doctor explained that I was having pretty much a TAH and TVH built into one - pretty much free OPEN access to EVERYTHING all at once - made his job alot easier!)

In fact, I have been miserable and due to the fact that it is hard to find other sisters that can relate and get what we are going through I have made myself scarce. Very frustrating indeed.

However, those A&P repairs, now at almost 8 weeks things are finally starting to settle down, but the tightnes is still there, especially if I do too much. So, I beleive Frannie when she says that at 3 months things are still uncomfortable.

I am glad that I got my nerve up to look at the boards today and found your posts! Please feel free to contact me!

mugwump@hystersister.com :email:
or MeighenD@as-if.com
Unread 01-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Vaginal repair

I had a TVH, cystocele, rectocele, umbilical hernia repair and bladder repair on 11/14/01. When I asked my doctor before the surgery if the recovery would be similar to having an episiotomy she said it would be a LOT worse than healing from an episiotomy. I'm so glad I had that warning because it WAS worse. But by about 3 weeks post op it was a lot better. I had sort of a knot on one side of my vagina that I asked her about at my 2 week check up and she said that it was a ligament that was healing and would go away. She was right and it was gone by about 3 weeks after surgery. I am 8 weeks post op now and I feel great! I do still get tired a little if I overdo it (easy to do with a 2 year old!) but overall I feel good. Hang in there, it will get better. Oh, and the sex is better, too!
Robin
Unread 01-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Vaginal repair

Hi, Tonya!

It's tough, isn't it? My doctor told me to sitz bath a few times a day which was soothing for me (check with your doc to see if it's OK for you), and I kept an ice pack practically permanently attached to my perineum for about 2 weeks . I also did the massage thing after about 4 weeks. I used Vitamin E oil along the incision site, which helped a lot.

Good luck, and feel better soon!

Unread 01-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Vaginal repair

Ok, sorry ladies, but I'm going to be the one here.
What exactly is A & P, cystocele, and rectocele ? I am having
LAVH/BSO on 02/12/02 and guess I just want to know ahead
of time so I can talk to my GYN and find out if I'm going to have
any of those !!

Thanks,
Dawn
Unread 01-12-2002, 11:42 PM
I know how you feel

I had TVH and rectocele repair on 21 Nov so I am just coming up to 8 weeks. If you search post op we had some discussion about treatments for stitch sufferers a few weeks ago.

I recommend baths with 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt - check with Dr as all have different views on this. I had at least 2 baths a day.

Dry area with hairdryer because dry skin heals faster than wet soggy skin.

Ask pharmacist for xylocaine gel - anaesthetic of the highest degree for when you just cannot stand it any more.

My doctor insisted that I take ibuprofen regularly while it was still very painful. This is pretty mild stuff but suited to swelling. Remember that they have been "in there" up to the elbows and the instruments left me with deep bruises, blood blisters and major swelling. The stitches themselves were what I kept blaming, but they were probably the least of the problem.

When healed more - puncture vitamin E capsules and rub the oil over the area regularly to encourage more healing and soften the tightened skin.

I still have some very tight bits in the perineum and just inside vagina. The procedure involves using a certain kind of stitch to hold the muscle layers in back wall of vagina together. They rely on the formation of scar tissue to add strength but that also adds some rigidity. The good news is that this should keep on improving for some time yet. Finally got the okay for fun with DH last week and everything worked - although I admit we were pretty careful with position and lubricant is highly recommended for added confidence more than anything.

Good luck,
Downsy
Unread 01-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Tonya

Hugs to you mate. Hey remember that it is way early in your recovery right now. 6 Days is not alot and your body has just had major surgery. I think that maybe you are rushing things and believe me the body will not be rushed. If you do too much your body will react. I know that things are a little uncomfortable for you right now but if it is really concerning you then ring and just have a chat to the DR. I really think that if you try to keep off your feet and rest more it will feel better. Also the thing that I found sooooooo good and soothing was a heat pack, very soothing and I used mine for weeks. I hope that each day is abit better for you hun. Rest abit more nd i think it will feel better. Hugs Vicki
Unread 01-13-2002, 05:21 AM
Vaginal repair

Hi Tonya!

I agree with home body; you are so so so very early in your recovery; you have just had MAJOR surgery! It is quite normal to not feel like 'doing much'. In fact, your DR probably advised you not to do very much during these first few weeks.

This is a critical time for your healing, and it is very important that you get more rest than you may be accustomed to, your physical activity should be limited to short, easy walks several times per day, and overall pampering! The more you try to do during this time, the more pain you may be asking for.

Please try and take it easy on yourself for a while; relax and enjoy a long, smooth, recovery for the betterment of your healing.

s,
Unread 01-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Vaginal repair

((((Tonya))))

I had a TVH with Posterior repair a year ago in December. Initially, the pain from the posterior repair was the only pain I felt. For some reasons, I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Here's what worked for me: I would use a peri-bottle filled with warm water after each trip to the washroom and would spray the "episiotomy" area. What a relief that was If you do not have a peri-bottle, you can use of those condiment bottles available from the discount stores. You can also use a wash cloth that has been soaked in warm water to gently pat at the area.

I asked to be taken off of the Tylenol 3 by day 3 -- I was still in the castle, due to complications. That was to avoid constipation. I also added just enough fibers to my diet: warmed prune juice - one or two glasses a day; a bowl of Raisin Bran cereals and, if needed, 4 or 5 warmed stewed prune. This and walking regularly and drinking plenty of water, warmed or at room temperature, meant that not only was I not constipated, I never had to strain.
<----- was really afraid of straining

Hang in there: the pain relented around the end of the 2nd week. By then, sitting was still not the most comfortable position, but it was manageable, for short periods of time.

BTW, I used my faithful "tummy" pillow to sit on

Sending healing s your way.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.