HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Questions after hysteroscopic polypectomy Questions after hysteroscopic polypectomy

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Questions after hysteroscopic polypectomy

Hello, I'm new to the site and just have a few questions. I am waiting for a call from the nurse, but thought I would start here in the meantime.

I had a D&C and hysteroscopic polypectomy 2 days ago--am not having much bleeding but am still experiencing quite a bit of cramping. It's not unbearable, but quite uncomfortable and I will no longer have my husband home to help out tomorrow. Is it normal to still be in a moderate amount of pain? I've read that recovery time for this procedure should be pretty minimal--and I have a few friends (maybe?) that tell me I'm "milking it" because I asked my husband to stay home from work again today. Keep in mind neither of these "friends" have had the procedure done themselves.

Was also wondering, do polyps tend to come back? Or if you've had them before, are you likely to get them again? I've heard differing opinions on this, so a bit confused. The Dr. never came in after my procedure to discuss what was found/done, so sorry for so many questions.

When the polypectomy was suggested, my Dr. made it sound as though that would take care of the problem (I've been severely anemic due to heavy periods and having a lot of pain/cramping), but now they are talking about possibly doing an ablation also. I'm not sure what I think about the ablation, have heard both good and really awful things about it. I don't understand why an ablation is necessary if they already removed the polyp(s).

Again, sorry for so many questions, and thank you for listening and for any input anyone has to offer!

Unread 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Re: Questions after hysteroscopic polypectomy

Your friend is an idiot and your not milking it at all. I had a hysterctomy April 4. On January 31 I had a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and D&C. Was put under anesthesia for this. I had some polyps removed, small amount of endo removed and she cleaned me up a bit inside, but she didn't do much more because once she got inside me she new immediately she'd be scheduling a hysterectomy as soon as I recovered ( 8 weeks) due to what she saw. I was on high doses of narcotic pain killers for at least a week after the january 31 surgery. My hubby stayed home with me for 4 days as I was dizzy from the anesthesia and pain meds and couldn't walk safely unassisted. After the first week I was on a lower dose of narcotic pain killers every 4 hours for another 2 weeks, and after that I took the same pain meds less frequently, but still took them for a few more weeks. After a few days I was ok to stay home alone, but still jot up to par for at leas 2 weeks so just rested a lot. After 2 weeks I was still slow, weak, and hurting, but I could go to the store and things like that by then.I may have been in more pain than a regular laparoscopy recovering patient due to the fact that I had fibroids and adenomyosis which was the reason she scheduled the hysterectomy so quickly.My doctor said I'd be up and running in a few days and 2 weeks max for pain, but that wasn't the case. Hopefully you'll do better than I did, but seriously, If you just had this procedure done 2 days ago you are certainly not " milking it" as your moron friend implies.Feel free to tell her I called her that!!
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Heavy bleeding and painful cramps and periods are most likely a sign of something besides just the polyps. If your doctor was suggesting ablation then my guess is that she is thinking you have something in addition to the polyps. ( which is also why you may have so much discomfort after your procedure, perhaps she poked around and moved some stuff inside while exploring.)
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Thank you for your quick reply! I hope you are feeling better I was actually able to get my husband to stay home through today, and I told my friend I was not going to apologize for feeling like crap, and that perhaps she should think before she says things on occasion. I'm feeling a bit better now, less painful cramping but am now starting to bleed. Nothing major, so not going to worry about it for now. I have been having some weird little pains, like behind my right knee and in my right inner thigh, but they're very intermittent and I don't have a fever so I'm guessing it's nothing. I am still feeling pretty rotten from the anemia--my hemoglobin levels were up from a 7.4 to an 8.9, so hopefully that is on it's way out too.

I've heard that your first period after a D&C can be the stuff of nightmares, any idea if that's the case? I'm hoping this is an instance of people reporting more on the bad than the good. Thanks again for your support and advice, it is much appreciated!

Unread 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM

All my periods for the past 3 years were pain and bleeding nightmares, but the one after the D&C was a lot more bleeding.Did you ever get a call back from your doctor? Those weird little pains behind your knee and thigh could be shooting nerve pains. My uterus was so large from my fibroids and adenomyosis that I used to get a shooting pain down the back of my leg all the time and another one shooting out from between my legs. My doctor said my heavy uterus was probably sitting on a nerve. Since my hysterectomy that pain is gone now, so I think she was right.
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM

I did talk to the nurse, but she didn't have a lot of information. At my ultrasound I was simply told they'd "found something, probably a fibroid or polyp". After my operation, my husband said the dr. told him they removed "a few polyps", but didn't say how large they were. When I talked to the nurse, she said they "removed multiple polyps", but that was about the extent or her information as well. Pain has been on and off--when I got up this morning I thought it was completely gone, but now it's coming back again pretty good.

I'm just going to wait with the rest of my questions until I go in again on the 2nd, trying to contact that office is like pulling teeth. I too am experiencing that shooting pain between the legs, and a good deal of pressure too. I'm going to write a list this time before I go in, and make sure I don't leave before all my questions have been answered!

I've been dealing with awful periods for years, but over the past 2 years or so they seem to have gradually gotten worse, and I guess eventually my iron stores couldn't keep up--the anemia is what sent me to the E.R. last month and led me to where I am now, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack!

I certainly hope I'll get some answers next month, feeling like crap and never wanting to do anything is getting pretty old. I'm only 32, and some days I feel 92! I will be sure to mention the nerve pain when I go in and again, thanks for listening and all your help
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM

Do some research about fibroids and adenomyosis before you go go the doctor. Adenomyosis CAN NOT be detected through ultrasound, so if you have that the nurse would not have known. Just take it easy for a couple of weeks. Youll be sore and achy, and if you start your period that's going to be another week of pain. Did you have anesthesia and get your belly cut open or did the doc go in vaginally only?
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM

I've done a bit of research on fibroids, but haven't looked into adenomyosis much as of yet. It was just done vaginally, but I was put under anesthesia. I've still been taking the pain meds and doing as little as possible, but back to business as usual starting tomorrow. I'll do some more reading on adenomyosis tomorrow.
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Great! Research is good. that way when you go to the doctor you won't be clueless if these things come up. Maybe you'll be lucky and find that this surgery you just had took care of all your issues and it will be smooth sailing for you forever!!Get some rest!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.