HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can I get the DaVinci surgery with a large uterus and fibroids? Can I get the DaVinci surgery with a large uterus and fibroids?

Unread 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Can I get the DaVinci surgery with a large uterus and fibroids?

Any one out there have the DaVinci done that had a large uterus? I have numerous fibriods, some as large as 6 cm, and she compared my uterus to a 6 month pregnacy. My ob/gyn recommends a TAH, to see a dr. and consult about the DaVinci is over 100 miles away. Would I be wasting my time or is it possible. My uterus is prolapsed as well. Would like to know if a DaVinci surgery is possible.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Re: Can I get the DaVinci surgery with a large uterus and fibroids?

I had a dvh yesterday with a ginormous, prolapsing uterus. I had cysts, fibroids, endometriosis... I had to go 80 miles away to get DVH and so far I think it paid off.
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:45 PM

I had multiple fibroids - one at 10cm, polyps and cysts. My uterus was, to quote my doctor, "huge, extremely huge" and sized at about a 6 month pregnancy. My surgery took almost 5 hours and my uterus had to cut in to many pieces to be removed vaginally and it weighed in at a revolting 11.6lbs. All was done by da Vinci!! My doctor is awesome. She saved me from the larger cut because I'm fairly young (46) and healthy and I tolerated the procedure well. It's worth looking into certainly, but the TAH ladies do very well too, so don't be discouraged if that is your option. I am very happy with the outcome of my hysterectomy. Good luck to you
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Thank You Lady's that is very encouraging, and shutterbug, yesterday WOW!! You have convinced me. I do wonder, did either of you take hormones for shrinkage first? and shutterbug was your uterus also cut up? My dr. states from a pathological point that is not as good? But of course she doesn't do them. So I will drive the 100 miles and get a second opinion. Just trying to learn before I decide. Thanks
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:38 AM

TAH has its advantages too. My surgery was much shorter. Just open me up and pop it out. (Well, it's not quite THAT easy!) But it takes an hour and a half instead of 4. That's a lot less anesthesia. A more straight-forward surgery. I've heard that with an extra large uterus, they may have to switch in the middle of surgery to abdominal. Ask the daVinci surgeon about that possibility.

The DvH people are sometimes up faster in recovery, but they seem to have more pains inside for longer.

If it is also DvH with vaginal, it bothers some people to have their vagina cut or messed with. (That's probably the best advantage TAH has over anything vaginal.)

These are all just my observations, not necessarily true in every instance, though.

Having said that, I am ALL for getting several opinions and learning all you can about the procedures. It helps when you can share in the decision-making in a knowledgeable way. Then when you proceed with what makes the most sense to you, you can go into surgery with a positive outlook (which is so advantageous to a good recovery!)

I'd even consult a third doctor--who won't be doing the surgery. Get his/her opinion. They have nothing to gain or lose by what they tell you!

Good luck!
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:26 AM

i had many fibroids, including 2 large ones, and my uterus was the size of a 5/6 month pregnancy. I had the Divinci ....it turned out to be a 5 hour procedure because of the size and he tore my vagina pulling it out but all in all I'm happy with my recovery thus far!
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Pathologically speaking, your surgeon would opt for a TAH if cancer was suspected amongst many other factors. I was not put on any hormones to attempt to shrink my fibroids. My original doctor dismissed my complaints about my hellacious periods to the joys of being a woman. Basically, this is what all women deal with. I believed her. After a move, I saw a new doctor who, after two seconds into my internal exam, ordered an U/S because my uterus extended past my belly button. I was scheduled as soon as the U/S was read for a TAH - at the time, my hospital did not have the da Vinci robot. However in the two weeks prior to my surgery, the robot arrived and the rest is history. The dVh is an amazing option, but after reading so many recovery threads it seems that the recoveries are very similar; better I would guess if you are keeping your cervix. Educate yourself and your decision will be exactly the right one
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM

I had dVH on March 7th for HUGE fibroids. My uterus extended well above my belly button. I am very happy with my healing. I have no pain & really didn't have much post op. I was on Lupron for four months to shrink everything so they could do surgery dVH. It worked. They removed everything via the DaVinci incisions.

I have had NO problems & am very happy. I feel great. I too encourage the 2nd opinion so you have all you need to make an informed decision that works for you.

Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm planning on Davinci this week- have large uterus and over 8 fibroids one at 8cm and 1 at 6cm.
I asked my doctor about his conversion rate- and he said since I haven't had any previous abdominal surgeries- it should not be a factor. knock on wood!
Good luck
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM

I am scheduled for DaVinci April 27. I have a lot if fibroids with the biggest one being 12cm! While on my back I can feel them and they extend above my belly button. My doctor will have to cut up my fibroids ,uterus and cervix and remove them through my viginia.
He is pretty sure he will not have to make a big cut. With me cancer is not suspected so that will not be a factor.
I agree with getting more than one opinion. I feel lucky that I live close to (within an hour drive) four major hospitals with 2 of them being connected to medical universities.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.