HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lavh 5 days post op Lavh 5 days post op

Unread 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Lavh 5 days post op

I got up this morning no pain but so weak can barely lift my head. I thought a shower would help. I was so breathless of course I have walk up stairs to get to the shower thought I was going to pass out. I felt like I ran a marathon. It took all I had to put clothes on. My heart was going 100 miles per hour. I managed to get my clothes on and fixed me something to eat and drank a bottle of water. I am laying down now just worn out. How long does this last? My DH says your not an envalent the more you lay around the weaker you'll get.
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Re: Lavh 5 days post op

So sorry your feeling rough. But, your still in the early stages of recovery. Weakness & lack of energy are to be expected. Sounds like your on the right track, eating, drinking your water and rest rest rest. Quite frankly I disagree with your poor DH, we are pretty much are invalents at 1st. Our poor bodies have just undergone Major Trauma.
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Humm, didn't mean to post yet. LOL Anyway continue to rest rest rest and drink drink drink your water. It takes time to get back to feeling like your old self, it will happen . There is light at the end of the tunnel!
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM

This is normal and your DH is wrong. I get so sad sometimes when I feel weak and can't do something for myself. When my DH sees me crying and asks whats wrong I always say ( through my tears) I hate being an invalid. His answer is " you ARE and invalid, now go sit down" This weakness is going to come and go for weeks maybe. Other things will happen to you too. It seems each day as one complaint goes away it gets replaced by 2 more. Take it easy and rest so you can heal. You don't have to stay in bed, walking is good for you. get up, walk to the bathroom, walk to the refrigerator,walk to the mailbox, etc. walk until yiour tired and week again, then sit back down and rest until the next time you have to go to the bathroom, then do it all again. You'll find you can walk longer and longer each time. Your not supposed to be doing anything else though.If you can take care of your own medications, bathroom issues, and personal needs, that's great. Everything else ( laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes, etc) need no longer be your concern. If your DH won't help get someone else to come into your home and do them, pay if you need to Your job now is to rest so you can get better faster. If you don't heal properly you'll possibly need repair surgery, or have many trips to the doctor and emergency room , and this will make your recovery last even longer.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM

I am awake at 8am every morning. Make my coffee or my mil or son does then I take my shower. I walked 5 blocks yesterday and felt ok but today I have no energy. I am emotional because I have burdened so many and my DH reminds me always. That is why I put off the surgery for 5 years until I started hemoragging and had no choice to have a emergency LAVH. I had no notice it had to be done now.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM

A person who is recovering from a major surgery isn't a burden, she is a patient. There is nothing morally wrong with being a patient, it's just a temporary situation but one that could be made so much worse if you allow other people to tell you you're a burden and try to force you to overextend your strength and energy as you heal. Would you neglect someone who needed your care? Would you tell that person he was a burden? Why should you submit to neglect and demands, you aren't better or worse than any other patient who needs some help to get better. Someone who refuses to help a person they promised to love, honor and cherish doesn't deserve to be called "DH".

There could be very serious health consequences to forcing yourself to perform before you're able, serious consequences to not getting enough rest, enough good food, the building blocks of healing.

Be good to you. Expect others to be good to you. It's your turn to receive care, and yes, make demands, if that care isn't given freely, and with love, as it should, the kind of care you would give to someone else who needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedx9 View Post
I am awake at 8am every morning. Make my coffee or my mil or son does then I take my shower. I walked 5 blocks yesterday and felt ok but today I have no energy. I am emotional because I have burdened so many and my DH reminds me always. That is why I put off the surgery for 5 years until I started hemoragging and had no choice to have a emergency LAVH. I had no notice it had to be done now.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Walking s good, but 5 blocks seems a bit much. You may have just tired yourself out too much. Do everything in moderation and listen to your body. Try walking one block next time, and see if it drains your energy the next day. You can keep increasing walking as you go, just let your body tell you. Often when we over do it we feel exhausted and/or bleed. These are just your bodies way of telling you that you did too much and you need to rest. Do some more reading on hystersisters so you'll better understand. You are not a burden. Your DH should have been prepared for you to need help and rest for a few weeks. If he didn't know it isn't his fault, but he needs to know now or your recovery will be an emotional and health nightmare.I am almost 3 weeks since surgery and still barely getting by. zJust having a bad BM can set me back 3 hours in a chair.A shower exhausts me still. This is all normal.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.