HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

St. johns wort St. johns wort

Unread 01-12-2002, 02:21 PM
St. johns wort

Hi...Does anyone know anything about safety, effectiveness etc. of st. John's wort? Wondering if its worth the money or is a prescription antid better? Thanks.
Unread 01-12-2002, 03:54 PM
St. johns wort

Yam,
What symptoms are you having? Here's a good thread about St John's Wort http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...highlight=wort

I know we are all different, but my experience with St John's Wort was not good. In fact I started calling it the :devil: drug. It seemed to have the opposite effect on me. Made me VERY depressed.

I do think that discussing your symptoms with your doctor and getting a prescription is always best.
Unread 01-13-2002, 02:20 PM
St. johns wort

Ah that thread brings back memories Kim (not all of them good
Yam, I found that it was the SJW which caused my depression at that time. I ended up going off it. I emailed the manufacturer's and they said that it has been know to cause breakthrough bleeding in women on the BCP, so yes, it has the capacity to interfere with HRT. The fact that I, like Kim do have some weird reactions to meds may have compounded it but with the BCP angle then it could quite possibly happen to 'normal' women also
One important point that we don't often mention is that it definitely should NOT be taken with other anti-depressants either. Yam speak with your doctor about alternatives, he'll be able to point you in the right direction and consider what other meds you are on.
Unread 01-13-2002, 03:17 PM
St. johns wort

I guess I have three questions about it (and of course about most herbs)--

little scientific study--what there is is promising with moderate depression (might have fewer side effects), but still, there's the example of kava kava that everyone was promoting and now it turns out to possibly cause bad liver damage (at least in some)

no regulation, so no idea what you're getting. some things I don't mind, but I wouldn't want to add a roller coaster to my depression from the fact there's no quality control

st. john's wort interacts badly with a lot of prescription drugs--causing a lot less to be absorbed. So, if you're taking anything else, I'd be very wary.

Some day it might be a great choice, right now--espeically with lily and kim's bad experience, I think I'd try a different approach.

The most consistently effective approach to depression is intensive exercise (intensive for you that is). It has an immediate effect, only good "side effects", and is as effective as prescription drugs.

I take a prescription drug, but it was a long hunt and you want help right away.
Unread 01-13-2002, 05:13 PM
St. johns wort

Thank You!

Your input also helps me. Im not getting anywhere with the above. Trash can time.

Sister Katie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway