HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 05-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Nervous and worried

I recently had a miscarriage- and the doc found 2 sacs in an ultrasound. I assumed that they were gestational- well he went in to do a D and C and the sacs are gone so that leads him to believe that they are masses in the muscular tissue of the uterus. They are cystlike and do not look like the cloudy fibroids that already line my uterus. He said the only way to rule out cancer is to do a hysterectomy.

I have my appt. on Tuesday to discuss options. He said cancer is an option, but how much of an option- should I see a gyn/oncologist? What other questions can I ask that will help me sleep at night?

I slept 2 hours total last night and even took a xanax that I had picked up over the recent death of my brother and never took. I figured I had better try it and see if it wouldn't help me calm my nerves.

Any suggestions of what I want to ask- what is the likelihood it is indeed cancer? I have 3 kids under the age of 7... I never considered not being here long enough to watch them grow up...
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Re: possible cancer worry

Oh the positive thing is that the D and C showed no abnormal results and my latest pap came back fine. The negative thing is that means the cancer that he's considering is a very rare and agressive one and that scares the poop out of me.
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Re: possible cancer worry

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage.I'd see what he has to say at your appointment, but definitely get a second opinion from a gyn/oncologist before you schedule a hysterectomy.

:cathugs:
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Re: Cancer worry

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with all of this. Even mentioning the word cancer is scary. I think you should get a 2nd opinion from a Gyn/onc. One thing that others have said to me when I've been going through this is "Don't Google"! It will just make you more afraid.

I can really understand your fear of leaving your children behind. But I wouldn't even go there right now. There's a lot of treatements they can do if you have a cancer dx. Right now just listen to your doctors and see what they want to do next.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and for wisdom for your doctor.
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Here's another vote for a consult with a gyn/onc. They're the experts for these issues and would provide peace of mind with your treatment decision. Remember, we're our own best advocates!
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Re: Nervous and worried

Okay, sweetie. Deep breath. I know this is a very scary time, but don't get ahead of your diagnosis. I do not know what are the chances that this is cancer. However, I would recommend that you see a gyn onc. That is who did my surgery - I had a very large complex ovarian cyst. I was grateful that if there was anything, he was the best to do the evaluation. All was benign, thankfully.

You may want to read through the pre-op section of the web site. There is a list of questions to ask, as well as other information.

I hope all goes well. Sending lots of hugs to you.
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:05 PM

I Am so sorry that you've had to hear the 'c' word...even though the dr doesn't seem sure about it.

I would call my dr and ask 'since you mentioned cancer why don't you seem to be doing anythong about it" while simultaneously seeking a consult with a gyn-oncologist.

Unread 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM

Thank you ladies for your concern. I'm just feeling lost. Trying to hold onto the hope that all is OK, but worried as I was so distracted when I met with the doc since this wasn't what I was suspecting. I have so many questions and waiting to answer them is not an easy thing. My heart goes out to all who have gone through this. I am sure I'm one of many who has fretted like this.

Keep the support coming!
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Re: Nervous and worried

Thank you, thank you, thank you.... I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to make sure I am prepared for whatever gets thrown my way. Thanks for sharing your positive story. I have to remember that the reason for so many stories that aren't like yours are on the internet is because they are the exceptions... most people are fine and things turn out benign and there isn't as much of a story in that...

Thank you for the hugs... that is really what I need.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Sweetie,
Glad you found us and you are getting great advice. Do see a gyn/onc, get all your question written down, take someone with you if you can (it is easy sometimes to forget things or even not listen very closely to replies, etc. Pls keep in mind thatmost cysts are benign but you need to get this resolved soonest in case it may be cancer.

Sending many more your way as well as many positive thoughts. I will hold you in prayer too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.