HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Compounded Testosterone cream vs Testim gel or Androgel Compounded Testosterone cream vs Testim gel or Androgel

Unread 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Compounded Testosterone cream vs Testim gel or Androgel

I have used compounded testosterone cream from a compounding pharmacy for a few years. Honestly I didn't notice great results from it except when I'd stop using it and then start again, I always had headaches for a few days.

Recently my endocrinologist gave me samples of Testim gel (testosterone gel for MEN) and instructed me on how to get a female equivalent dose to use.

Well, other than the annoying cologne smell of Testim gel, I have to say that I HAVE noticed a difference on this... I am sleeping better, brain fog is slightly less and libido has increased. I have been given a script for both Androgel and Testim gel to see which is cheaper as they are NOT covered by my insurance. I think the last time I checked, Androgel (the one that is not scented) was going to be $385 or something like that... but if a tube or pump lasts me a full year, that would be only slightly more than the $35/month I was paying for the compounded stuff that wasn't working.

Anyone else notice this? And has anyone used Testim and Androgel and prefer one over the other (apart from the smell)?
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Re: Compounded Testosterone cream vs Testim gel or Androgel

I have been using androderm, which is the same as androgel, but in patch form. I put the patch on for 4 hours a day and use the same patch for 1 week, each patch dispenses 2 mg. of testosterone, and yes you will notice the difference. I use to get the test. pellet every 3 months at 35 mg a pellet, they worked very well except insurance quit paying. I have used compound and never noticed a difference.
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Does your insurance cover androderm? Is that patch for women or men?
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:11 AM

no, insurance will not cover it. It is a patch for men, I think it is made by the same company as androgel.. I was paying far more though with the compounds in a year, and this works. Estratest for women works also and is very cheap but I had an allergic reaction to it, possibly because it is synthetic.
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM

From my own experience....Be careful using Androgel. I used it for a while (few months) and I also felt "better" than when using the compounded....and my level soared to 450. I was only slightly more irritable so I was shocked it went so high. It took over 6 weeks for it to drop into normal range. I was using a pea size daily.

Keep a close watch on your serum levels.
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyanxious View Post
From my own experience....Be careful using Androgel. I used it for a while (few months) and I also felt "better" than when using the compounded....and my level soared to 450. I was only slightly more irritable so I was shocked it went so high. It took over 6 weeks for it to drop into normal range. I was using a pea size daily.

Keep a close watch on your serum levels.
Were you using it daily? Did you notice any other side effects?
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Yes, daily on my inner thighs.
It did not make bigger muscles or better libido. My leg muscles started feeling spastic. My muscles felt tight, my facial hair started becoming more coarse. It took me a while to really understand what was happening.
What really clued me in was....In The Savvy Woman's Guide to Testosterone, Vliet talks about high T levels can cause insomnia, muscle spasms, and irritability. (pp 144-145) I had all three symptoms. She also cautions to avoid T creams designed for men.
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Maybe you need a different doseage of the compounded testosterone? Just an
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

When I've needed testosterone, I've used Testim since about a year after. It is not covered by insurance and I have to get a whole box of it, which they consider a month's dose for men. The last time I got some, it was $180 for the whole box, but it lasts me forever.

Originally they told me to use a pea sized amount on the back of my knee, but I found that 1/2 pea was all I needed. And I also found once it got into my system, I didn't need it every day.

I haven't used it consistently through that time because I felt the Premarin was adding androgens, but lately have been using again. So far, not having any symptoms of too much. Just energized, sleeping well, feel like working out again and taking care of business.
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM

My husband was prescribed Testim, he was given a coupon by his doctor, he got it for free. I would still lean towards adjusting the dose of the compounded. Or maybe try a different base or delivery method.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.