HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pap smear after hysterectomy necessary? Pap smear after hysterectomy necessary?

Unread 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Pap smear after hysterectomy necessary?

Yes!!!!! I am 53 yrs old and lost my uterus, ovaries, and cervix at the age of 23. I have had pap smears every year because I can't get my Premarin refills if I don't go in to get a pap smear every 6 months. I was diagnosed with HPV about 6 yrs ago, and after a vaginal culposcopy, was told I had severe dysplasia. I had to use Efudex chemotherapy cream, which helped for the next 3 years. Continued vaginal paps have now resulted in HPV again and my next culposcopy resulted in my Dr finding two lesions that needed biopsies. I am waiting for the results, and hope I don't have to go down the Chemo cream or laser surgery. Neither are great, but thank God, my doctor made the check ups mandatory for me!!! God luck to all of you!
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Re: Pap smear after hysterectomy necessary?

Glad your doctor caught this. Interesting. I guess I don't know enough about HPV because I was under the assumption that with no cervix and no possiblity of sexually transmitted issues, I would not get it.

Every doctor is different.

My orignal said no more ever. Then the next one said every three years. Now the one I use says every year. She found something "wrong" last year. I told her it was just irritation from dryness, but had to have them every six months and sure enough nothing is wrong.

For me it is an irritation. I've had several false positives over the years and found I can't in any way irritate the tissues within 10 days of Pap or it will come back questionable. I had not cancel cells when I had hysterectomy either.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway