HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

daVinci vaginal cuff question daVinci vaginal cuff question

Unread 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM
daVinci vaginal cuff question

i just had the first of two pre-op appointments and the Doctor that is handling the Da Vinci (not my normal Dr.) said that just two weeks ago they changed the way they close up the vaginal cuff. he said "they used to use a barbwire type of material" "now we use stitches and I tie knots". I hope this explains why I am a. more nervous and b. confused. the Dr. said that his wife had the surgery 4.5 weeks ago and her vaginal cuff came undone and she was bleeding and they had to re do it. hmmm any ideas, experiences?

thanks ladies!
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Re: Vaginal Cuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by charligrrl View Post
i just had the first of two pre-op appointments and the Doctor that is handling the Da Vinci (not my normal Dr.) said that just two weeks ago they changed the way they close up the vaginal cuff. he said "they used to use a barbwire type of material" "now we use stitches and I tie knots". I hope this explains why I am a. more nervous and b. confused. the Dr. said that his wife had the surgery 4.5 weeks ago and her vaginal cuff came undone and she was bleeding and they had to re do it. hmmm any ideas, experiences?

thanks ladies!
That's good your doctor does it the new way. Don't be more nervous.The old way ( been doing lots of research on this) caused about 4% of women to have the cuff break open. Not all doctors know of this and not all do it a new way just yet. Consider yourself extremely lucky in this case!
:cathugs:
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Re: daVinci vaginal cuff question

There has been a learning curve with stitching the vaginal cuff with the daVinci method. These surgeons have been adjusting materials and methods to prevent the cuff opening while still offering this valuable hysterectomy option.

s
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM

This is one reason I have chose to keep my cervix..if it aint broke...Im not letting them fix it!
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM

As a reminder, the cervix is part of the broken uterus so many of us don't have a choice. The whole organ is broken already.
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Yes I am aware, and I hope I am making the right decision. Its a tough choice. But with me, I am figuring I can go back later and take it out if need be, but it will be a lot harder to put it back I have went back and forth with keeping it or losing it. And who knows, I may change my mind again before surgery
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
daVinci vaginal cuff question

Hi Charligrrl! You have found a great place for information & support here with your sisters! I had a DaTH on 5/9/12, & am very happy to be on "the other side". I too am glad your doctor mentioned this- much better than learning abt the history of this surgery thru articles & such. The fact that he mentioned this to you & that he has changed the way he performs the surgery would make me feel good as a patient. My biggest problem so far post-op has been bowel related bc of pain medicine (long story, but high doses of pain meds post-op bc of other issues going on along with need for hyster). I only had a tiny bit of pink spotting even right after the surgery. Since I have been home from the hospital I have not had any spotting, & really no pain there before 2day (I will be the 1st to admit that Ive done WAY too much today tho- lots of the things sisters will tell you not to do- ssshhh, dont tell on me ).
As for my not spotting/bleeding- I am happy, but do keep wondering if it will start, or is something "wrong" that Im not. I feel pretty good overall- esp related to my hyster. If you have questions though, do call your surgeon's office to talk with him or even his nurse.
Again, I am so happy I went with this type of surgery if I had to have the hyst.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM

thank you all, that makes me feel A LOT better. this is all so new and i keep trying to get more information and I am so thankful for this site. I plan to keep reading and learning. I am making my list of questions... anyone know of questions, you "wish" you would have asked but didnt realize till after?
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charligrrl View Post
thank you all, that makes me feel A LOT better. this is all so new and i keep trying to get more information and I am so thankful for this site. I plan to keep reading and learning. I am making my list of questions... anyone know of questions, you "wish" you would have asked but didnt realize till after?
Are you keeping your ovaries? That's an important thing to ask and discuss with doctor. I was able to keep my ovaries but doctor took my cervix out. I had years of bad pap smears so wanted cervix gone.
:cathugs:
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:55 PM

charligrrl -

If you go to the Hysterectomy Checkpoints Menu (upper left) there is a Pre-Op section. In there you will find a tab with questions to ask your Dr.

That might help you with your research.

Also start a new thread entitled something like "Questions you wished you had ask" so more members will see it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.