HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

catheter forever catheter forever

Unread 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
catheter forever

I had a and p repair again on the 3rd may . 16 days post op today . Still having to have a foley cath I have been told that I have to have this for the rest of life. They are changing it to a supapubic one in a months time. They say that my bladder muscle is of no use and it wont contract any more. I aslo have a kink in the uretha. Has anyone else been in the same condition
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Re: catheter forever

Who did your surgery??? Was it a urogynecologist? If not then I would definitely seek out the services of one ASAP!!!

Did they give you a voiding trial? That's when they remove the foley and see if you can void. The bladder is a muscle and unless there has been some permanent nerve damage it seems like the muscle could be rehabilitated. There are even physical therapists who specialize in bladder training.

I would definitely seek a second opinion and soon.
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:14 PM

It was urogyno who did the op. The op was done on thursday 3rd may. They took the cath out on fri. I could not wee. I passed about 10ml and retained the rest. I was in pain so they recathed me. They left in for a week then tried again. I could only pass about 50ml the nurses said try to go untill later. Every time i went I passed 50ml and retained the rest. This went on untill 11pm when I tried again 50ml again. All day when I was passing water the pain was unbearable. At 11pm when i did pass 50ml the pain was bad I was sitting on the toilet crying. One of the nurses heard me and asked what was wrong I told her. She bladder scanned me. I had retainted 690ml. So back the cath went. The cons then told me that I have cathed for the rest of my life. He said that the bladder muscle was damaged and very weak up to the point it wont contract anymore. He sent me home with foley cath and said to see him in 4 weeks time . When he going put in a supapublic cath.
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM

craft lady,

I would recommend getting a second opinion if you can. After my bladder surgery 8 years ago it took nearly two weeks for my bladder to calm down enough for me to void without a catheter. My urologist told me there is a small percentage of women that need extra time after the bladder has been moved or touched during surgery. It was a horrible experience but I had great confidence in my urologist and my repair has held since then.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM

I went back in today after having cath for 11 days post op. Still no luck with the pee thing so they have taught me to self cath after trying naturally I have to cath to void. I have zero coming out on my own at this point, but went to urologist today and they scoped me. Absolutely normal bladder, urethra, etc. I feel your pain on the need to go, truly. I told docs today I would rather be giving birth again than have that pain. Almost unbearable! They have prescribed me a new med that is supposed to help start the process of going and I am prating that it helps. I went from a per any time girl to not being able to go with zero explanation. I too had a & p repair and they say that my bladder is hopefully just needing a little mote time to wake up. Reading some of the other stories, I am glad to see hope out there and that it may just need a little more time. Emotional day to say the least!
Unread 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Yes I know what you mean about the pain I rate it on being pain scale15 . It really does hurt. I cant do isc, I have a kink in uthrea. They have told me that the bladder wont work again . I am now 17days post op still have the cath in and still in lots of pain down below
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft lady View Post
Yes I know what you mean about the pain I rate it on being pain scale15 . It really does hurt. I cant do isc, I have a kink in uthrea. They have told me that the bladder wont work again . I am now 17days post op still have the cath in and still in lots of pain down below
I'm a little confused. Didn't you have a TVT to lift your urethra and resolve the kink?

I really would seek a second opinion before submitting to a permanent catheter.
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM

I agree with Hopeful and definitely get a second opinion! I think the frustrating part for me is that I have no explanation, only time will tell. I gave no other choice than to try my hardest to keep positive and encourage you to do the same, as hard as it is at times, it is the only thing we have to go on. One way or the other, we will get through this!!!
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM

no I did not have a tvt to lift the bladder. I have allways had a few bladder issues. The urether has a kink due my sons horendrous birth. They think that is where the damage to bladder has come from .

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.