HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Exercise after Hysterectomy Exercise after Hysterectomy

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Exercise after Hysterectomy

Hi everyone!

I have my TLVH scheduled for June 5th. The thing I'm most worried about is getting out of my fitness routine. I currently run and/or do hot yoga 5 days a week and while I know recovery means a lot of "resting" I'm wondering if anyone has fitness tips.

My doctor told me that I couldn't run (or do anything high impact) until I've been cleared, as well as yoga (because it's all core body).

I'm not looking for anything crazy, but are there any exercise routines or fitness options (besides easy walking around) that I can do while I heal up? Suggestions appreciated!
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Re: Exercise after Hysterectomy

Pretty much we are not allowed to do much of anything except for walking. Talk to your doctor about this though, as every doctor is different.
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM

I am not sure as the answer, but I am hoping some people respond, I am in the same boat!

I run 3-4 times a week and have just purchased a road bike as I hope to begin triathlon training soon! I am so worried about loss of fitness and going insane not being able to run!

Good luck with your surgery
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM

I know how you feel. I have a young horse I am training and cannot ride for 2 months after my LAVH on the 6th. Huge bummer for me, not so much for him!!
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:35 AM

You can ask your doctors about isometric "holds." This is where you contract and relax various muscle groups. Some doctors do not want any physical exertion of any kind while others will give their OK if you can have some self control and not workout your core or do Kegel exercises. I love to exercise too and am going a little batty not having any physical activity and I'm only in the middle of my second week of recovery. However, I would rather lose some muscle toning than endure another surgery to repair damage done by working out too soon or too hard.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm missing my exercise too. I was doing P90X prior to surgery and I'm having withdrawals.

I think I'm going to wait to restart P90X in January since it is a lot of core work & lifting.... and there is some high impact stuff with Plyometrics. I really want to make sure everything is healed up well before doing anything too intense.

In the meantime, I plan on sticking to brisk walking maybe with some light handweights and keeping my calories & carbs low to moderate to help minimize weight gain.

I do believe that if a person is able to exercise before their surgery they should as it seems to help with recovery. Especially doing some strength training.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM

The very serious recommendation for exercise is to not do anything physical or straining for the first 6wks post op no matter what type of hysterectomy surgery has been performed on you...Its soo very important to allow your inner and outer stitches to heal properly and allow yourself to just take it easy and relax and as they say in here Pamper the Princess...If you go to hysterectomy checkpoints in here on this site you will find what the do's and dont's are at post op per every week of recovery up to 6wks and then you will read further on that it takes a good 3 months to heal and up to a full year to completely recover from this surgery...I am also a big fan of exercise and staying in good physical shape, so before my surgery i worked out double time as i knew i wasnt able to do much at post op. For the first few weeks of post op i was going stir crazy not being able to do my usual workouts, but then i finally had to come to the serious acceptance that if i do anything physical i could end up having repair surgery ((which i didnt want))so i finally calmed down and relaxed into recovery..I slowly walked at many intervals throughout the days and as time went on i was able to walk more often and speed up a little more as each week went by. The main thing is to take it easy and slow and accept the recovery time...I am now almost 3mths post op and i still havent resumed my running or do my heavy strength training as ime very cautious to not hurt myself...I am power walking on my treadmill and doing light strenght training and light ab workouts...I do alot of outdoor activity like gardening and yard work which helps me feel better..I also have a hoola hooping exercise i would fit into my workouts pre op and its only been in this last week that i have even attempted to try to hoola hoop, i was a bit concerned of trying that as i thought my little ovaries would be too shooken up going through that, well when i tried to hoola hoop it didnt hurt, but it felt strange, ((poor little ovaries))I have a physical job at work so that helps me build up my strength as well, but ime finding that i am still very weak in some areas and i get very tired still at work...Soo just saying that it takes alot of healing time to recover from this surgery and the important key factor is to accept the down time before your surgery and keep telling yourself to pamper the princess and that this is only temporary as you need to heal right the first time and you do not want repair surgery of any kind due to any physical straining...I hope this helps you...Peace be with you
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM

I'm in the same boat. I was shocked when my doctor said I couldn't power walk, do pilates, or even lift my light 2 lb weights after surgery. She said I could ease back into my exercise routine at 6 weeks post op but until then I couldn't do anything other than a gentle stroll.

I can start exercising again next Tuesday, yay! I've been a good patient and followed my doctor's orders to a T and so far have had a very uneventful recovery!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.