HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Not hungry:(

5 days post op and I have no appetite...nothing sounds good or taste good. Is this common after surgery? My husband is getting worried...I am drink alot of water, gaterade, and tea. I take my medicine with pudding cups.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Re: Not hungry:(

I lost my appetite after surgery too and still cant eat as much as I used to. I would recommend a nutrition replacement shake like Ensure to help with your nutrition. Good luck!
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Yes, it is normal. I have been craving fruits,vegetables, and unsweetened beverages. I am going to start back on vitamins now that digestive issues are resolved.

As long as you are well hydrated and you are getting needed calories you will be ok. Pudding cup is ok in my book during recovery.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM

I just had my 2nd surgery may 29th, did uterus 2yrs ago and took everything except right ovary this time, both times i never really ate until the 2nd week. Today i actually ate a meal :, i would try to at least drink a milk shake or something
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM

So glad to see this post! I got on the scale today and I have lost 8 lbs since surgery. Don't have much of an appetite now but at like a pig right after surgery and that worried the nurses and DB. Would like to have the appetite back but what I am most hungry for is fruits and raw veggies so I figure I'm not doing too bad. Nurse told me to make sure I get plenty of protien to heal so I have jello and Ensure Clear. I do eat meals but no where near the right portions.

So I have swelly belly and jelly belly.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM

I also had little to no appetite following my abdominal hysterectomy. I was told that is normal by my doctor. The after effects of anesthesia and the pain meds you are taking can affect your appetite. I would eat a few bites of something and then not be able to eat any more. My appetite started to come back around 10 days post-op. Now I am 6 weeks post-op and back to normal!
Eat the things that appeal to you, only if it just a few bites. My husband made several trips to the grocery store to appease my food desires.
Be gentle with yourself and have patience...
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Yes protein is a big deal especially because of blood loss and for muscle health while your laying around. Im a veggie and actually have been craving red meat, i know its the blood loss but if the craving continues i might have to be bad :-)
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Pain meds can squash your appetite...give it some time and be sure what you do eat has lots of nutrients

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.