HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Blood in urine after cystectomy Blood in urine after cystectomy

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Blood in urine after cystectomy

I had laparascopic surgery to remove two endometriod cysts on 5/21. The dr had said he was also going to do a d&c and ablation due to my fibroids. When I woke up he wasn't there but told my sister that he only did the cystectomy as he thought that the only way to treat my fibroids was via a laparascopic hysterectomy. I am now experiencing blood in my urine and still have pain around my incisions, in addition to back pain. I usually see the blood after I've been vacuuming, sweeping, mopping etc. I'm not sure if this is normal? I have a pre-op appt with the dr and I want to ask him how large the fibroids are etc. I'm also worried that if they remove my ovaries I will go into surgical menapause and I can't take hormones due to some cardiac issues. I'm also not fully recovered from this surgery yet and have to take care of my pre-schooler .
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Re: Blood in urine after cystectomy

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I am not a medical doctor, but I do not think blood in the urine is normal. I would call your doctor and let them know what is going on.

Good luck, and I hope all is well.

Unread 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Re: Blood in urine after cystectomy

Did your doctor mention you have Interstitial Cystitis (IC)? That can cause not only blood in your urine, but definitely can do so following a cystoscopy. My catheter bag was bright red following mine--enough that it had shocked my nurses. With IC, the capillaries in the bladder can bust causing the bleeding.

You should touch base with your doctor as (((marestail)) suggested, just to make sure.

As far as the cysts, were they endometriomas? If so, was there any other endometriosis found? If you have an endometriosis diagnosis, you are going to want to be sure your surgeon will be able to locate and excise any of the existing implants.

If you have concerns about hormones, you need to talk to both your surgeon and whomever manages your cardiac condition. No or low estrogen can actually worsen some cardiac issues.

in there!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.