HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sex concerns after removal of cervix! Sex concerns after removal of cervix!

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Sex concerns after removal of cervix!

I was surprised when I found out that Dr. will be removing cervix. If I understood and remember correctly, the reason is because to do so vaginally, the cervix had to come out too. I guess that makes sense since the cervix is under the uterus. Does anyone know about that?

I don't know if he is unwilling to do a laproscopic uterine removal because of my obesity or because he will be in the vagina already making other repairs and doesn't want to do both.

Anyway, my husband is well endowed and after reading some of the other posts, I am very concerned about sex after recovery. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, they can share with me.

I am currently on vacation and surgery scheduled for Monday, so I can only talk to my doctor via phone. I need to make sure that I know all of the questions, I should ask and if your experience can put me at ease or help me know what to ask doctor, that would be wonderful. Thanks for your help!
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Re: Sex concerns after removal of cervix!

Savedbygrace

The cervix is part of the uterus and as you said to do laproscopic vaginal hysterectomies the cervix is removed. If the cervix was being retained it would be called a sopracervical hysterectomy.

The vagina stretches and usually with the removal of the cervix the vagina isn't made shorter. It may take awhile for you to heal enough to feel like it is back to normal. If you found the bumping of your cervix pleasureable that sensation will be gone. Most men don't notice the difference.

If you look at the Hysterectomy Checkpoints there is a section for pre-op with questions for your Dr that you may find helpful.

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Sex concerns after removal of cervix!

I had TVH and they removed cervix.I was okayed by doctor at six weeks to resume all activity. I had sex first time with husband yesterday.It felt the same as before hysto.Had orgasm.The orgasm felt the same also.I did notice I was a little more drier than normal.My husband said it felt the same also.He is not that well endowed though.Average six inches.lol.Hope this helps
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:36 AM

My TAH experience has 100% better than I ever expected. I feel at least 10 years younger, more energy, thinner & sex is actually better (never had any pain nor discomfort during sex prior to TAH). It's only been 4 months and getting better everyday. I too was very concerned about not having a cervix and had heard some horror stories of how it would feel to him. The first several times were very scary worrying about tearing the cuff. We did as my Dr. instructed "hold off from anything too energetic for awhile". At 4 months energetic is wonderful again & truly the only reminder I have of my Hysterectomy is my incision.
Fear is bound to happen, but there is light at the end of the healing tunnel. Best wishes !
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks girls! You have helped me feel a little calmer!
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I totally know where you are coming from. I was shocked to hear my Dr. will remove my cervix. I don't want to be a big gaping hole. But reading on this site sure helps
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:05 PM

Had sex for the first time post op tonight ( 10 weeks post op daVinci, cervix removed). We went slow. No discomfort, no spotting and my "O" was better than before. My DH said it didn't feel any different, maybe a bit tighter. All is good!
:cathugs:

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.