HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hip Pain after Bladder Sling Hip Pain after Bladder Sling

Unread 06-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Hip Pain after Bladder Sling

Good Day!
Has anyone else experienced hip pain after bladder sling surgery? I had TVH, Rectocele/cystocele repairs, and a bladder sling done on 5/21. My hip pain has persisted and gotten worse. My primary care doc thinks I have a problem with my IT band. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a good site or blog for the procedures I had done?
Take Care,
Michele
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Re: Hip Pain after Bladder Sling

Michele
I had a TVH almost a year ago and have been having severe hip/groin/pelvic pain since. CT scans and ultrasounds are normal, all my doctors say there is nothing they can do. Acupuncture didn't help. I am currently seeing a physiotherapist who specializes in pelvic floor dysfunction and she says I have nerves trapped in scar tissue which is causing my muscles to over protect them. This is throwing my hips and my tailbone out of whack. I have seen her three times and I think she is on the right track but time will tell.

I'm not saying this is the issue with your hip, but it may be something worth investigating. I really hope you feel better soon.
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:22 AM

Sugar and Spice,
That is something I will keep in mind. I think it may be too soon for the scar tissue part. But, I could see that in the future. I've heard scar tissue can hurt. When I came out of surgery I could hardly move my right hip and leg. I just wish I knew how I was positioned. Or maybe I don't really want to know!
Do you know if a physiotherapist is the same as a physiatrist? If the antinflatoey and muscle replacer I am taking doesn't help my doc will do scans. Yesterday I went to the grocery and almost felt like I was dragging my hip and leg. Hope you get relief!
Take care,
Michele
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM

I had hip and groin pain for a couple of months. Although it did progressively get better each day. On the days I would over do it, it would be worse. My best friend was a heating pad between my legs & Motrin. Have your doc check to make sure that you are healing the way you should be. Also, the position of your legs & the method of attachment during surgery also cause discomfort. We as women weren't build to be in "that position" for extended periods of time!
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Physiatrist is a doctor who specializes inb rehab and a physiotherapist is a physical therapist.
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Michele, my hip pain started within 3 weeks of my surgery. I thought it would get better but has got progressively worse. The position during surgery is a real consideration too. Many women seem to be sore for a while post op. And I'm with you: I don't want to know what position they had me in during surgery. Some things I prefer to not think about! I really hope your doc has some answers for you soon.
:best:
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:48 AM

I had my bladder sling put in in dec 2011 I ended up getting bronchitis one day and while coughing i believe my bladder dropped it was horrible so i then went through all the procedures to have to the surgery well i after surgery aprox a month i was walking with my kids at the zoo and i began to get hip pain i figured it was from it he surgery because my hips were really sore while i was recovering i didnt really think anything of it aww it will go away well now it has been a year and i still get severe hip pain when walking well the other dayi experienced hip pain worse then it had ever been just on the right side and my incontience is back even with the sling in does that sound normal to anyone? i had an ultra sound and xrays done on my hip xrays showed nothing ultrasound showed lots of inflamation im not really sure what material he used when inserting my sling but i do know i have 2 small incisions in my pubic area i will be calling his office monday to ask has anyone else experienced this pain
thanks kim
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:16 PM

orangebug990,

Ask for a copy of your surgical report. If the doctor won't get it to you then the hospital can but it will cost you for copies.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.