Anyone in recovery with a baby? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone in recovery with a baby? Anyone in recovery with a baby?

Unread 06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Anyone in recovery with a baby?

I have a 6 month old and I'm 11 days post op. I still cannot lift her. I've had alot of help taking care of her, but I just can't shake the guilt I feel of not being able to care for my sweet baby. And honestly I really miss doing it. Anyone else out there with baby? How long before you doctor would let you lift the baby? How did you deal with not being able to take care of her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Re: Anyone in recovery with a baby?

Hi away! I'm sorry but my baby is 15 years old!! However, it's ok too feel the way you are feeling as long as you realize you must take care of you so you will be able to pick her up when the time is right! Maybe someone can place her on your lap if your comfy with that!! I am sorry you not only have to go through your recovery but to feel the way you do!! Cheer up before you know it you will be chasing your baby everywhere!! Good luck and hugs!! Xoxo
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm 10 days post-op and I have a baby....well he's 3 but he has spina bifida and is paralyzed so its pretty much the same.....except he's almost 40 lbs. I had the DaVinci and they told me no lifting for 4 wEeks but I broke down and picked him up today. He's been in the hospital for 4 days, which my mom had to handle, I just had to hold him when he got home today. I know they say wait a few wEeks but I'm just doin what I feel like I can handle at this point. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaynot View Post
I have a 6 month old and I'm 11 days post op. I still cannot lift her. I've had alot of help taking care of her, but I just can't shake the guilt I feel of not being able to care for my sweet baby. And honestly I really miss doing it. Anyone else out there with baby? How long before you doctor would let you lift the baby? How did you deal with not being able to take care of her.
I hear you. I'm 4 weeks post-op and my baby is 16 weeks old and 17 pounds. I haven't lifted him since the surgery, and I feel awful about it. I have some help, but it hurts my heart to "miss" these moments in his life and mine, especially since he's the only baby i'll have now. I'm sticking by the idea of not lifting anything over 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks, and then nothing over 15 pounds for the next 2, and nothing over 20 pounds for the next 2. Sadly, that will probably mean another month of not carrying him at all. I'd love to hear from other women in our predicament. Any tips on proper lifting? I tried to find threads on this site, but they weren't specific.
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Hi ladies... I don't have a "baby" but my 35 lb, 3 yo baby misses being picked up and snuggled. He asks me to "pick up Terry," or, "Carry Terry, please?!?" multiple times a day. It breaks my heart

Now, with all of that said... I totally feel you but my words of wisdom are don't. My doc was very clear that they do not worry so much about the abdominal incisions herniating, which is the reason for the restriction, but the vagina cuff herniating and your intestines falling out of there. My tips...

Snuggles on the couch, playing with them on your lap, let those wee bitty one take naps in your arms, feed them, if you feel up to it... You may be able to dress them, change their diaper, etc. There are so many things you can do to help. I really truly understand how you feel. My guy is my last and he is very attached to his mommy. He loves me to wrap him to my and wrapping him up can be the best way to calm him down when hes having a bad day. Please just remember that this restriction isn't just about the act involved with picking them up but as because of the force of the extra weight on our bodies. It's only 6-8 weeks if everything goes great and you only have one chance to heal. This time won negatively affect your relationship with your precious child/ren. You only have one chance to do this right. The more time you take the faster you will heal and the sooner you'll be able to be super mom again. Big giant hugs.
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliwka40 View Post
I hear you. I'm 4 weeks post-op and my baby is 16 weeks old and 17 pounds. I haven't lifted him since the surgery, and I feel awful about it. I have some help, but it hurts my heart to "miss" these moments in his life and mine, especially since he's the only baby i'll have now. I'm sticking by the idea of not lifting anything over 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks, and then nothing over 15 pounds for the next 2, and nothing over 20 pounds for the next 2. Sadly, that will probably mean another month of not carrying him at all. I'd love to hear from other women in our predicament. Any tips on proper lifting? I tried to find threads on this site, but they weren't specific.
Yes I feel the same about missing these moments in my baby's life. I am so sad that you had to have your hysterectomy so soon after your baby's birth.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register