HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone have to keep their catheter a while? Anyone have to keep their catheter a while?

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone have to keep their catheter a while?

I'm wondering if anyone had to have a catheter a while after surgery. My uterus was fused to my abdominal wall and my bladder top to bottom. Doc cut my bladder, which she anticipated would happen.

I know it could be worse, but it's really getting me down. I'm already in a lot of pain because I don't take much pain meds because they make me sick, but now I have this catheter to work around too.

It's honestly depressing me pretty bad. I know once it's all over with it won't seem that bad, but right now it's really getting to me.

I was hoping someone else has been there done that and could offer some advice or words of encouragement to help me pull through this. Thanks
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Re: Anyone have to keep their catheter a while?

I'm sorry, I haven't been where you are right now but please know that I am praying for you. You're fresh out of the OR so remember that it gets better day by day. I am sending peaceful, healing thoughts your way. Lets turn your frown upside down! (I know, tacky, right!!!) God bless.
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Thank you. It's just rough. I feel very alone other than this site. My husband is in the Army so we're not close to any friends or family. We JUST moved to this duty station, so I don't know anyone here.

I knew her cutting my bladder was the biggest risk, but I was really hoping it wouldn't happen. I know this won't last forever, but it's been really hard on me having it. I feel so much more restricted, and it's getting to me.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Hi there! Sorry you're on your own in a new place. It's a tough price to pay when you're a militiary family. Thank you for your service, by the way.

I had a catheter for almost two weeks after my radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer. The first few days it was a blessing because I was too wiped out to move. I wax able to function fine afterwards. It's not that bad. I was freaked out about the idea but the reality was ok

Best wishes for a good recovery!
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM

I think it's just the icing on the cake right now. My pain is really bad and I don't take much of the pain meds because if I take too much it will make me sick. So I can feel it there. And having my every move to include a tube up my you know what isn't my idea of fun LOL.

Thankfully I SHOULD be getting it out Thursday, as long as the hole has healed. I'm just trying to tell myself it's all for the greater good.
Unread 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM

I'm right there with you. I had surgery on the 25th and still have my catheter. My doctor has given me a prescription for Uribel. It helps calm the irritation in my bladder because of the catheter. I'm also on antibiotics. I go back to the doctor on the 6th to see if I can pee on my own again.

I started a thread on pelvic disorders asking questions that you might find helpful.
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm starting to wonder if I should be on any antibiotics. Seems like everyone else is, and having a catheter and a bladder that's been cut, shouldn't I be?
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODwife85 View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I should be on any antibiotics. Seems like everyone else is, and having a catheter and a bladder that's been cut, shouldn't I be?
My doctor didn't put me on the antibiotic until I failed to be able to urinate yesterday. She said that before that the antibiotics that they gave me during surgery should be sufficient to ward off any infection. But since I'll have this catheter until at least this Friday she put me on a once a day antibiotic called Macrobid. It couldn't hurt to call your doctor about the antibiotic. I also think the Uribel is helping me manage the irritation caused by the catheter. Maybe you should ask for something to help you deal with that as well.

My doctor had to do a lot of "cutting" away of the vaginal fascia from my bladder. Here is what I posted in the post-op thread about my surgery and recovery...

On Monday June 25th I had a Davinci Hysterectomy, cystectomy on my right ovary, anterior repair with biomesh, posterior repair, perinioplasty, labiaplasty, and TVT sling.

Still feeling yucky. Didn't need any Percocet until 1:30 this afternoon. I did take an 800mg ibuprofen this morning. I am feeling a little heavy, fullness in my vagina today, but I think that is from all of the walking I did yesterday. I had the doctors appointment,and then had to wait for prescriptions to be filled. I think I did a little too much. I'm determined to do nothing today.

I was unable to pee after the Foley was removed on Tuesday, so I came home from the hospital with a Foley Catheter in place. Went to the doctors yesterday, and was only able to void 100cc at barely a trickle. The nurse then got 800cc of urine when she catheterized me.

So the Foley is back in and we will try again on Friday the 6th of July.

The doctor said there was a lot of scar tissue between my bladder and vaginal fascia and separating the space between the two was very slow going. I had biomesh used to repair the cystocele. She feels that my poor bladder is just very irritated and needs more time to rest.

We don't think that the TVT sling is too tight. She said she is very conservative with the tightening of the sling, leaving plenty of slack. I was able to pass some urine, at a slight trickle, on Friday so I don't think that the sling has caused my urethra to be pinched, unable to pass urine at all.
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Oh wow, sounds like you've had a tough time. I honestly don't know what any of that is LOL. I don't know any of the medical terms. What happened to me was my uterus was fused to my abdominal wall, and my bladder top to bottom. She cut my bladder trying to free it so they said 7-10 days then they'll do a dye test to make sure the hole has healed up before my cath can come out.

It is very uncomfortable for sure. I have this discharge that looks really weird.. I guess it's old blood, but it's just weird. It's kind of slimy and brown. Is that normal??[i]

Hmm I think I put italics on this...

Anyway, I still haven't been able to have a BM either, and I honestly think it's to do with the cath. I think it is messing with me mentall it being there that I can't go now.

I also feel like I'm not putting out what I'm drinking anymore, but on the other hand I've been sweating like crazy too. Insane hot flashes and night sweats.
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODwife85 View Post
Oh wow, sounds like you've had a tough time. I honestly don't know what any of that is
  Quote:
LOL. I don't know any of the medical terms. What happened to me was my uterus was fused to my abdominal wall, and my bladder top to bottom. She cut my bladder trying to free it so they said 7-10 days then they'll do a dye test to make sure the hole has healed up before my cath can come out

It sounds like your bladder was attached to other abdominal tissue than mine, but we both required a lot of work to get it detached. Mine needed to be detached so that she could repair the front side of my vagina. I had pelvic organ prolapse, basically a hernia in my vagina involving my bladder, rectum and uterus.

Quote:
It is very uncomfortable for sure. I have this discharge that looks really weird.. I guess it's old blood, but it's just weird. It's kind of slimy and brown. Is that normal??[i]
I think the discharge is normal. Mine is red to brown and a bit slimy with an unpleasant odor. I try to use the peri bottle to cleanse myself several times a day and change my pad often. I actually wear a panty liner over a regular maxi pad and just swap out the pantyliner instead of changing the whole pad every time.

Hmm I think I put italics on this...

Quote:
Anyway, I still haven't been able to have a BM either, and I honestly think it's to do with the cath. I think it is messing with me mentall it being there that I can't go now.
I'm taking three stool softener capsules a day, two in the morning and one at night. I also took a dose of Miralax a couple of times to help me have a bowel movement. I think you'll feel better once you get that little chore out of the way. I don't think the cath should hinder your bowel movement. If you use a stool softener and/or laxative you shouldn't have to strain to go. Ask your doctor about that as well.

Quote:
I also feel like I'm not putting out what I'm drinking anymore, but on the other hand I've been sweating like crazy too. Insane hot flashes and night sweats.
No hot flashes here, I think. I did wake up a couple of time one night really sweaty but I feel like that was just a post-op thing.

Maybe you should kind of keep an eye on how much fluid you're taking in and putting out. It should be able to record your output since you have the catheter. My catheter bag has measurements right on the bag.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.