HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What vitamins should I not take before surgery? What vitamins should I not take before surgery?

Unread 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM
What vitamins should I not take before surgery?

Hello all! I am new to this site and love it so far. I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on Friday, August 10. I am so nervous be so ready to get rid of my fibroid issues. This will be my fourth and hopefully last surgery for them. I am a vitamin junkie and take a few different ones with each meal and at bedtime. I forgot (I always forget to ask this question) to ask my doctor which ones I should avoid before surgery. I had planned on just stopping all of them two weeks prior but then think what if I'm avoiding something that would benefit me during surgery? Any thoughts on the topic of what vitamins to continue and which ones to ditch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Re: What vitamins should I not take before surgery?

You need to check with your doctor. Make a list of every vitamin, supplement, herb, medication (prescription and over the counter), etc. that you take and then ask about each one. I had to discontinue several, including my multi-vitamin, a couple weeks before my last surgery as that particular surgeon is known as a "blood free" surgeon. He goes above and beyond to try to insure minimal blood loss for his patients.

To be safe, ask your surgeon what is and is not okay for you!

Unread 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM

One of the biggies is fish oil/flax oil/omega-3 supplements. Those thin your blood and can cause problems with surgery.

At my hospital pre-op appointment, I was told to stop all vitamin supplements before surgery, with the exception of the iron supplements my doctor told me to take. Even with those, I was told not to take them the day before surgery. The general thought is that you don't need supplements if you follow a healthy diet, so it's unlikely you really "need" any of them before surgery.

When you go to your pre-op or doctor, it's a good idea to take the actual bottles so there's no confusion about what you're taking and what dose.
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLotus View Post
When you go to your pre-op or doctor, it's a good idea to take the actual bottles so there's no confusion about what you're taking and what dose.
Taking the bottles can be a great idea, but many of the supplements, including Vitamins C and E, need to be stopped up to 14 days prior to surgery so waiting until the pre-op appointment could be too late. Taking them in sooner would be a plus though!

Here is one chart to look at, but, again, check with your doctor about is and is not okay for you:

http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/...651115765.html

Unread 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM

I was told to stop taking a muli vitamin 10 days before my surgery. At your pre op they should ask you what meds etc you are taking. Then they will tell you when to stop taking them or give you the ok to take them
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM

They will tell you pre op. the office should give you some pre and post op instructions. All blood thinnijgs like aspirin 10 days out and vitamin was just day of surgery..if you have questios call the office
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:18 PM

That thought never even crossed my mind. My doctor put me on iron--a lot of iron--because I'm very anemic. She did tell me to stay away from calcium, as it blocks absorption. I've actually started a vitamin C regiment along with it to help absorption, and increased my protein at her suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm a vegetarian, and I could tell by the look in here eye she was dying to tell me to just break down and eat some nice red meat or liver. However, all my other lab readings in my blood were excellent for my age, so my diet can't be all bad. she's on vacation and won't be back until a week before my surgery, so I can't really ask. It's a great question though, I guess I should research it further.

By the way, we're surgery twins. Mine is on August 10th as well.
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Pretty much every supplement I took was on my do-not-take list I got at my pre-op visit. I didn't think abstaining for a week would hurt.

What did me in was not being able to take the medication prescribed to me for my arthritis ... but me & Tylenol survived. :-)
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM

I was not allowed to take any pain pills prior to surgery. I had a severe headache for 3 days I did call th office and was allowed a one time dose of 400 of ibprofen
Unread 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Thank you so much ladies for your input. Since I'm just about three weeks out I figured I might stop taking some of them now but i plan on calling on Monday to see when and if I'll be seeing my doctor before hand. The last visit I had we pretty much talked about everything but I didn't get the surgery scheduled earlier because I was taking a family vacation and didn't want to mess with those plans. I have already wasted too much money and time dealing with these fibroids I didn't want to change our plans. SO, when I got back to work from vacation is when I broke the news to my boss. I just thought of the whole vitamin and medicine thing today. I have Invisalign so I'm trying to figure out if I will just wait until after my surgery to put in my next trays since I usually take Moltrin for pain. I can do without my vitamins but the only one I'm worried about stopping is my Move Free since I plan on continuing to run until my surgery. I will ask my doctor about them.

Tralynn, I'm kind of glad to know I won't be the only on the OR table that morning. Good Luck! Before my previous surgeries I was also very anemic so I know that the only thing on your mind is just feeling better. I don't think I bothered with my vitamins at that time because nothing helped me feel energized. I'm not feeling that bad this time (I didn't want to wait to feel like that again) so there are so many things running through my mind.

Thanks again!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway