HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Period like pain after period is over, in left bottom abdomen and pelvic area Period like pain after period is over, in left bottom abdomen and pelvic area

Unread 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Period like pain after period is over, in left bottom abdomen and pelvic area

Hi Ladies,

I was so happy to find this forum.

I have had painful periods for a long time, I was just trying to get through them with OTC meds. Last month after periods, lingering pain remained in left side of my waist, and there was backache also. I saw a pain management doctor, and a chiropractor, thinking that I might have pulled a muscle or something. I did stretches, and started feeling better. The pain doctor had prescribed an MRI, which I did not go for since I started feeling better. After this months periods are over, which were excruciating, I am still having cramps as if periods are there. The bleeding has been over since Thursday. In the lower left side of abdomen, there is severe pain, which sometimes goes to pelvic joint and I am also feeling shooting pains in groins area. My gynec is on vacation, I saw someone else in the same practice yesterday, who thinks that I might be having endometriosis, and she has ordered an ultrasound. She also started be on birth control pills. Is endometriosis pain only felt during periods, or can one feel it afterwards also, like I am feeling? I am scared and worried. I already have other chronic pain issues, and now this has cropped up. I am 37 y/o and did not have any pregnancies yet. I had an ovarian cycst burst on me couple of years back, that was also on left side.
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Re: Period like pain after period is over, in left bottom abdomen and pelvic area

I am glad you have found us and I hope we can offer you helpful information and support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishti1775 View Post
Is endometriosis pain only felt during periods, or can one feel it afterwards also, like I am feeling?
Endometriosis pain can occur with cycles or at any time. There can be rhyme and reason for endometriosis pain, and there can be absolutely no rhyme or reason. Regardless, keeping a very detailed symptom diary to share with your medical team can help you with diagnosis.

Unfortunately, the ultrasound the doctor has ordered is not likely to help with regard to endometriosis. Endometriosis doesn't tend to show up on any type of imaging test. However, it could help determine if there are other issues going on such as a cyst or fibroid. Instead, the only way to definitely diagnosis is via surgery.

For some quick information about endometriosis, you may want to read our Endometriosis page: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_endometriosis.htm

We also have a lot of information stickied to the top of this forum. The more you know, the better able you can be to make the best choices for you. But don't try to learn everything in day!

The birth control pills may help, though keep in mind it may take a cycle or two.

in there and feel free to look around the site and post any questions you may have!

Unread 07-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Re: Period like pain after period is over, in left bottom abdomen and pelvic area

Thanks a lot, Weiser. That is what I was also wondering about - if it would take 1-2 cycles for b/c pills to show affect. I am going to ask doctor on Monday if she expects me to take pain killers couple of times a day for two months or what. I am anxiously waiting for ultrasound results also.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.