HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

infiltrated vein(6 months post op) infiltrated vein(6 months post op)

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:34 PM
infiltrated vein(6 months post op)

During my hospital stay for TAH, I had an infiltrated vein in my wrist. The vein was hard and sore for weeks. Dr. said that is normal and could take months to disappear completely. Blue spot slowly went back to near normal appearance. Today the area is sore and slightly swollen. This is first time I've noticed discomfort in a while. Is this normal? I guess it's possible I bumped or injured area in some way, but can't recall doing so.

If anyone has info, I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks
Unread 01-23-2002, 12:05 AM
infiltrated vein(6 months post op)

HI,

I am not sure how long it takes for a vein to completely heal after infiltration. I have very bad veins, and I had a lot of problems with my IV's. I had many, many re-starts, and at one point a special nurse was called to stick me. I could usually only get one day out of a location.

It took several months for mine to return to normal. But, I can't remember having it flare up again after the soreness, swelling, and discoloration left.

I am going to move your question to The Road Less Traveled and see if there are any gals over there who might have better information. That is the forum for questions later on in recovery.

If your hand gets really hot, soreness increases, or if you have red streaks running up your arm, then call your doctor right away.

Best wishes.
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:07 AM
Re: infiltrated vein(6 months post op)

Quote:
Originally posted by baseball
During my hospital stay for TAH, I had an infiltrated vein in my wrist. The vein was hard and sore for weeks. Dr. said that is normal and could take months to disappear completely. Blue spot slowly went back to near normal appearance. Today the area is sore and slightly swollen. This is first time I've noticed discomfort in a while. Is this normal? I guess it's possible I bumped or injured area in some way, but can't recall doing so.

If anyone has info, I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks
I had the something similar happen to me. I had my hysterectomy done on 12/20/01 and a second surgery that day to fix the injury to my bladder (long story) and 2 weeks later I ended up in the emergency room with "inflamed veins". I'm sorry I can't remember what the correct terminology for this is. I also had 3 I.V.s while in the hospital and 2 attempts at I.V.s that failed. They said I had veins that rolled and tough skin. Anyway--2weeks later my arm and wrist started to get very sore and I didn't think too much of it because of all the bruises that were there from all the needles. Then the pain got much worse and there was swelling and pink raised bumps that finally turned into pink lines (right along my veins). That's when I finally went to the E.R. The doctor there told me to take advil to help with the swelling and put hot/warm compresses on it and it would clear up within a few days. Well it took almost 2 weeks for it to finally get better and at this point (5 wks. post-op) I'm still left with a tiny bump that is slowly fading away. I still however feel the veins in that arm aching every once in awhile. I think it will be awhile longer before they are totally back to normal. I do recommend you call your doctor about this though--according to my doctor they can get infected and sometimes you need antibiotics for this.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.