HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

So HOW Much Does a Hysterectomy Cost? So HOW Much Does a Hysterectomy Cost?

Unread 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM
So HOW Much Does a Hysterectomy Cost?

Got the bill today:

$38,611

That's for surgery (TAH/BSO/adhesions/cysts/misc) and 2 nights. I don't know if that includes pre-op or post-op costs.

Luckily, the co-pay is $300, which I think might be less than the co-pay for cyst surgery in 2007 (different insurance now than then).

Anyone else want to share costs and co-pays? I seem to remember cyst surgery and 2 nights in was about 20K five years ago.
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Re: So HOW Much Does a Hysterectomy Cost?

I am still getting a few bills rolling in but so far I am at just under $39,000 for SAH 2 nights in the hospital. We have a high deductible insurance so our out of pocket is $5900.
The Dr. gave me a choice to wait until Dec. instead of June if I wanted but I decided to go ahead in June since my kids had the summer off. Sure enough my hubby came home from work yesterday and told me that Sept. 1st the company has changed the deductible to $11.000. I am SO glad I didn't wait.
I am still shocked at the cost of these things. I am in the wrong business!
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Wow, Alibee. While our monthly costs for my husband's insurance have gone up about 150% over the last few years, the deductibles and the like aren't too bad. Good you had it done this summer.
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM

So far I have $400 ish for my pre preop appointment and ultrasound; just over $200 for my endometrial biopsy; $2300 ish for my surgeon, pre-op appt, blood tests, and 2 week post op appt; and $200 ish for my pathology. I haven't seen my hospital bill yet and I'm not sure I want to. Out of pocket is about $400 so far and I have approximately $1250 left to go.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:03 PM

I received a $40,000 bill from the hospital - one night stay. I did have the robotic assisted surgery that added ~$8500. All my other bills - docs, anesthesia, pre-op, labs, .... totaled another $18,000. So grateful for insurance - my portion $300.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM

I have a high deductible insurance. I'm self-employed and I'm generally healthy, so it seemed like a better choice. And I still think it is the best choice, because I'm hoping to have few health expenses for the next few years.

I haven't gotten all of the bills yet, but so far my out-of-pocket expenses are around $7,000. My insurance didn't cover the DaVinci procedure ($2,500), so I had to pay for that myself.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM

I never really thought about the cost since thank GOD i have awesome insurance it was covered 100%. I am so very grateful my husbands employer offered it, we pay about 300.00 per month for a family of 5.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Like kmb080701 I'm very thankful that insurance paid for everything between preop and my 3 day stay in the hospital my total cost was about $55. Again I'm very thankful
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM

My bill was just under $90k. I had the works done but I was only there from 10am until around 7pm! Thank goodness for 100% coverage from the military.
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM

My gyn/surgeon was $2,100
Her assistant $525
Pathology $525
Hospital (included pre-op, but no charges for room/food) $17,682

the only thing i haven't seen is the bill from the anesthesiologist.

These are claims against my insurance so far, and obviously not the contracted insurance price. My deductible/Co-insurance out-of-pocket will be about $1,800 total...that's pretty good.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.