HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does ablation last? How long does ablation last?

Unread 08-16-2012, 02:23 AM
How long does ablation last?

Well, here we go again. I'm sure everyone is probably tired of hearing from me by now, but where else do I go to discuss these things?!

I feel a bit cheated at this point. In fact, I recently responded to another post touting the success of the ablation I recently had (in relation to bleeding at least) A bit of history here is in order I suppose. Periods have been miserable for as long as I can remember. Horrible bleeding, horrendous cramps, yeah. Long story short, I dealt with it until I couldn't. And when I finally did do something about it, I had no idea that I was experiencing all of these issues due to my ridiculous period.

After the whole anemia scare (which included a trip to the ER with a lot of embarrassing bleeding all over everything and a serious fear that I was having a heart attack due to family history), I had to go in and do something about it. My US showed tons of polyps. I had a hysteroscopy/D&C/polypectomy on 4-17. Got a period a week later and saw no improvement, and as anemic as I was, it was decided that something more needed to be done to take care of it.

I had a thermal ablation (along with a diagnostic lap, no endo) 5-30. I was told by 2 friends who had it done that it was a "piece of cake"--was not so for me. Horrible pain immediately afterwards, nearly a full week in bed, over a month of spotting....but when I got my first period after, it was noticeably less. Instead of using super plus tampon + overnight pad and not daring to leave my house, I was fine with a ultra thin. Next month was even less, and 3 days instead of 8-12. My 3rd period since the ablation started 3 days ago. First day was very light. But the past 2 days have been nothing but huge clots and gushing. I went to the store without my usual "just in case" kit--I always carried tampons, pads and an extra pair of panties with me pre-ablation, but thought I no longer needed them--ended up leaving my husband in line with the kids while I drove home to "take care of things".

So yeah. I always turn this into a much longer story than it needs to be. But I'm really wondering now...how long is an ablation supposed to last? I won't even go into the pain situation right now--let's just say it's gotten worse instead of better. Maybe I'm being too premature here. Should I have 2 light periods and then back to same as before? Do you sometimes get a bad period here and there and then go back to the light ones? My doctor really did not tell me anything about what was normal after ablation. Hoping this is a fluke, but as I hurry through finishing this up because I'm pretty sure I just bled through my pajamas, I have to wonder. Would love to hear anyone's experience with this. Thank you all for reading.
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Re: How long does ablation last?

Had an ablation 9/04/09 did not have the pain was kind of uncomfortable sitting for any length of time fo r a few weeks. Had a small floww the next month and the next few months progressive harder, I went on some kind o meds that helped with bleeding for a while. I finnally after hemorglng in 7/11 went on Magaze it stopped the bleeding but the fribroid got larger at the time of hyster it was a large as a small watermellon.
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM

I haven't had experience with an ablation, but just wanted to lend some support and a . If you haven't called the dr, please do. And no one is tired of hearing it. That's what we're here for, to support each other! Let us know what happens.
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:08 AM

ReganCassidy

I'm sorry you're having problems following the ablation.

Whilst you're waiting for further replies, you may wish to visit a dedicated endometrial ablation discussion board <link> www.endometrialablationboard.yuku.com for comprehensive post-ablation support. As already mentioned, however, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor, too.

We're sending positive thoughts!

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I cannot give you any advice, I can sympathize with you and say I am sorry. I had the ablation done on 6-26-12 and my periods have not stopped! So unless it takes a few months I am thinking its not working....
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Hi! My ablation lasted 1 year before I realized my fibroids were back. I know several ladies that the ablation worked for but I'm not sure if their problem were fibroids.
When my fibroids came back my doctor said he could do another ablation but a little differently or just another D&C but I decided it was time for the hysterectomy. His main concern was to make sure I really didn't want any more children. I no longer have that heaviness and pressure from the fibroids but the recovery is rough and long compared to the ablation.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Mine lasted about 5 months with no bleeding, then a couple months with normal bleeding and now I'm almost back to where I was before my ablation. I think once you start bleeding again, it rapidly returns to pre-ablation levels. My doctor did tell me after my ablation that due to the thickness and increased size of my uterus that she didn't think it would last. She was right. I'm going to ask her today to go ahead and set me up for a hysterectomy because I'm just done with this.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Dear Regan:

I'm sorry to hear that you have not had good results Here is a link to the Options Success forum, where you can search for other ablation stories: information in our CLICK HERE.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.