HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Smelly wound, should I worry? Smelly wound, should I worry?

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Smelly wound, should I worry?

Hi. Its now 9 days from my op. I had a total abdominal Hysterectomy. Believe it or not the first problem I encountered after waking up was a bout of tonsillitus. I was prescribed Penicillin. I took advice from the consultant who said not to let anyone touch the wound along my binkini line which was stapled and to dry it with at hair dryer after showering. I was in hospital for two days before being sent home.
I have had wind problems which are probably normal. I am taking laxitive drinks to help with bm's. I must say each day I am feeling a wee bit better.
The problem I now seem to have is a smelly wound. This was noticible 6 days after the op. I went to docs who swabbed it and put a dressing on with iodine. I then had my staples out 2 days afterwards (yesterday). The nurse and doctor said to continue taking my penicillin and also said the wound didnt look infected and it maybe just that the staples had been ready to be removed and had caused some kind of reaction.
I am still awaiting swab results, but I am aware I only have half a days antibiotic left. I feel that I know my own body and dont want a bad infection or any complication to develop, but I also dont want doc to think Im being a nuisance. I feel I should have been given medicine or cream more specific to tissue infection as a precaution.
I live in Scotland. I am typing this at 4am. I woke up with this on my mind. I also could smell the odour, so I had a shower. I know I am emotional probably because I am now in the menopause and maybe a bit over sensitive as I am really tired, but I was wondering if anyone else has this and has any advice for me as what to do..
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Re: Smelly wound, should I worry?

I would be concerned too. I had abdominal cuts and smaller cuts that burst open and have remained that way since surgery. I was told to apply hydrogen peroxide after shower with cotton swab. They are healing but look pretty nasty. Lol. I haven't had any issues with an odor though. No smell at all actually. I think an odor does signal some type of infection. I would definitely call my dr again and express my concerns again. Hugggsss hope you get some answers and peace of mind soon.
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for your advice, it just what I am thinking. I feel that I have a chance to nip this in the bud just now.The penicillin is maybe keeping a bad infection at bay but it could soon pick up pace once its finishes. I think I will get a phone in appointment with the doc this morning and tell her my concerns. I wish you well with your healing too. I know that once we are all healed that this op should change our lifes for the better xxx.
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Thank you. Also little hint. I'm not sure about where you live, but I quit taking pill antibiotics a long time ago. My gp knows me well. He knows as soon as he sees my name to have shot of Rocephin (sp?) Ready for me. It is the best antibotic for me. Pills just do nothing to my infection but one shot of that or two two days in a row depending on how sick I am and I am well in a day or two. Might be worth asking your dr about.
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

I stay in Scotland. I will certainly speak to the gp today. The last thing I want is to go through the weekend with no medicine and end up with a problem next week. I am hoping that the swab should be back today. It was painful when it was taken as it was taken from the cut which was stapled. I know that prior to going to the docs that day, I definately had a discharge leaking from it. Thank goodness for this website. What else can you do to get advice at 4am, lol
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Hi, I had an issue with an odor at the base of my incision where I have a little overhang. My doctor was concerned about a possible yeast infection on my skin.

I was sure to clean it with mild soap and then I swabbed on hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day and i dried it with the cool setting of the hair dryer and the odor was gone within a day. If your wound is open, that could be different, mine was closed so it was not an infection. I hope you get the results soon!
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:01 AM

I had something similar after my c-section and it turned out to be a staph infection. Apparently now I have it, it comes back when it likes. I know when the staph has come back as it smells - usually get it in my belly button or nippes. Fortunately none on wounds this time, but I'd be having it checked for that as Staph definitely had a distinct smell about it. Maybe all infections do though not sure?!
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:45 AM

An update-The swab results came back ok which came as a surprise. The wound hasn't completely "knitted" together as far as I can see. It looks like there is two bits still to close. I can still smell the odour which worries me. I have been given a course of Flucloxacillin. Ive to take 4 500mg tablets a day. I've avoided bathing and just showering instead. Hopefully this should do the trick and kill any bugs.
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Keep a close eye on it, different infections need different types of antibiotics. Also, a smell can come from blood clots breaking down and is not an infection. You are doing the right thing with your care, it is far better to contact the Doctor than be worried about being a bother! An infection can be serious and the earlier it is treated, the better the recovery. Good luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.