HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long is bladder pain "normal" after hysterectomy? How long is bladder pain "normal" after hysterectomy?

Unread 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
How long is bladder pain "normal" after hysterectomy?

I searched the forums for "bladder pain" but didn't find a thread specifically on this topic, sorry if there is one and I missed it. I'm having trouble telling what is normal and what isn't about bladder pain after the hysterectomy. It's been six weeks and still pain after voiding and when I get more than a little full, plus feeling like I have to go even when there is only a little inside. Now in addition to that bladder pain I'm having some pain in the kidney area (intermittent sharp stabbies, not bad enough to be a stone but enough to be a problem).

I have a dr's appointment for this afternoon but I'm just afraid I'm going to be told it's all normal and wanted to get an idea from all of you ladies that have been through it already whether it really is or not.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Re: How long is bladder pain "normal" after hysterectomy?

It is pretty common to have bladder spasms after hysterectomy but you sound like you have a UTI. Be sure to mention it to your doctor so they can test you for infection.
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Mine was the day before yours. I had 4 weeks of urine retention (not fun), but that was due to problems with the tissues around the bladder, not the bladder itself. I still feel sore whenever I eliminate either #1 or #2, but that's from the incision and internal cutting, not the bladder or intestines.

I would ask your doctor for a referral to a urologist. They are the experts on this. All the surgeons, gyns, etc., I talked to acted like they'd never heard of it (they probably hadn't!).
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Sorry for the long time to reply but I wanted to report back. It was NOT a UTI, we tested and that was negative, and the pain was non-responsive to antibiotics anyway. Apparently my doctor says that sometimes scar tissue from the surgery will 'stick' to the bladder and cause it to 'pull' when you void your bladder. He said it should go away in a month or two. It's been a month or two and usually it doesn't hurt anymore, though it still does once in awhile. The pain is pretty minor though so I haven't done anything about it. When I compare that bladder pain to the pain I would have with my periods before, I think I would rather have this bladder pain for the rest of my life. If it doesn't go away in a couple more months I will take cpj's advice and go see a urologist.
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:00 PM

I had this pain or discomfort when I emptied my bladder and it lasted for a long time - maybe 3-4 months, gradually getting better.
I asked about it at my 6 week check up - I just "knew" it wasn't a UTI (well, I did have a check for that done, to be sure) - and I got the same answer, more or less, as you. Can also be something to do with how they surgically support the bladder when you lose your cervix (if you did)

It will go away, so try not to worry!

I still have a SLIGHT degree of bladder urgency more than I once did, but it is not at all a problem. It is 99.9% better than it was post-op.
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM

I did not have any bladder pain, so I am not sure it is "normal." I only had a cath for the surgery, it was gone when I woke up. And a urologist was present for my surgery, to put in the protective stents beforehand, and remove them after the procedure and do a scope of the bladder to make sure there was no damage. I did develop a mild UTI a few weeks after surgery, but I am rather prone to those so I cannot say whether it came from the surgery or not.
I would definitely see a urologist for this.
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:29 AM

Normal doesn't mean that it happens to everyone, just that it happens commonly and is not necessarily cause for alarm.

I do suspect I have scar tissue issues though; although the bladder pain has receded to just once in awhile, I have pain with deep penetration that may indicate an adhesion of an ovary; if there's scar tissue there it might be other places as well. I will report back when I know more.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM

yes i have the pressure as well...im just 2wks out tho..... im sure it will get better

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway