HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Exercise before Hysterectomy? Exercise before Hysterectomy?

Unread 09-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Exercise before Hysterectomy?

Hi, So now it looks like after the failed hysteroscopy and D&C (cervix scarred shut) I will be having a hysterectomy - date unknown until my follow up. Has anyone tried to really work on their abs - I'm thinking the more core strength you have, the better the recovery? Am I on the right track? I ride an ElliptGO (outside elliptical bike that goes on the street) about 40-50 miles a week so my core is tight but I can't shake that little pooch. I'm wondering if its related to the outside of the uterus... that so far they don't know what is there... Just wondering about really prepping with fitness to aid in recovery... Thanks so much! Kat
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Re: Exercise before Hysterectomy?

Wow, you sound like your in great shape.
I had laparostic assisted vaginal hyster.
So no huge abdominal cut, whew.
I had csection seven years ago, I was heavier and needed abdominal binder, it was awful not to have use of my abs.
This time, I did much better with getting up from bed.
So it will depend alot on what type of surgery you get.
your strong and fit now, you will be fine!
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM

I also could not exercise a month before surgery. To much pain, exhaustion, and strained sciatica. So your feeling good if you can exercise now.

Do you have heavy bleeding or are you anemic ?
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:16 AM

I know from a couple past laparascopic sugeries, strong abs will help you tons in the long run along with strong arms and legs to assist when you can't use those abs! Being in decent physical shape going into a surgery can really help your recovery. My doctor was shocked when two weeks after gallbladder sugery I was lying on the table and rolled straight up to sitting without assistance or arms (well, that and I don't LOOK like I exercise much - lol.)

I, too, am in the can't exercise anymore boat. I used to be at the gym 4-5 days a week and also hiking on the weekends. Now I get too exhausted and exercise seems to induce cramping as well - even when I'm not on my period. I'm trying to push through and get in at least a couple workouts a week to keep my strength up but it's really tough between the pain and the exhaustion. And forget exercising for a goo 4 or 5 hours after a meal - it's like there's not enough room for everything in there and I can't take a deep breath.

I can't wait to get back to my normal swimming routine (and not having to take a week off for heavy bleeding, either!) and also yoga. I've completely give up on yoga because I can't do the folds or poses that put any pressure on my lower abdomen. It's also protruding enough that it gets in the way as well.

Less than a month to go - hang in there sisters!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.