HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ovarian tumor and uterus removal scheduled, scared to death.. Ovarian tumor and uterus removal scheduled, scared to death..

Unread 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Ovarian tumor and uterus removal scheduled, scared to death..

I have an ovarian cyst that was described by my doctor as about the size of a football that has to be removed on the 17th of October and along with it, I am also having my uterus removed due to the astronomical rate of uterine cancer found within my entire family - this latter part was something I opted for and am totally content with. I am keeping the left ovary, hopeful that it too will not have cysts later developing, but the right cyst is so badly covered with this cyst that it has to be removed. Guys, I'm scared to death, I have never had surgery before and really don't know what to expect. The doctor says the surgery cannot be a laproscopy (spelling) and that it is more like a C-section?? I have someone to take exceptionally good care of me, she is the love of my life, but I'm still so scared.. Until last week, I'd never even had an IV. Am I just too paranoid? Can anyone offer any words of comfort or whatnot? What am I to expect? Trying not to hit the panic button here... :/
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Re: Ovarian tumor and uterus removal scheduled, scared to death..

I'm with you on the panic button. Mine is Monday and my preop tomorrow and tonight I am freaking out somewhat. I think it is a normal response. My mass is grapefruit size. Just remember you have to get that football out of there! That's what I keep telling myself, I have to get that grapefruit out if there.
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Hello, Melodysings12.

Yes, yes, you're quite right.. This thing feels like a rock when I lie on my stomach and every time I have my period, it hurts so badly I think I need to go to the ER. It's difficult to do a lot of things.

Good luck on your surgery, I have heard it isn't so bad, but I guess my being afraid doesn't comfort you but so much. :/

What have been your symptoms with the cyst? I couldn't find out much about mine that seemed to go with the symptoms others had?
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Frostbitten:
symptoms with cyst ("casaba melon" weighing 3.5 lbs) : peeing very frequently and stress incontinence (late symptom), stomach fullness (cyst pushing up against stomach) and irregularity which I didn't attribute to anything other than diet. Also, had lost 25 lbs on Weight Watches but my pants were still tight in the waist and upper abdomen area. Just attributed most to age!!! :-)
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Hi Frostbitten,

I had a football removed from my abdomen. I know you are in a very scarey place right now but trust me, your surgery will be worth it and you will be fine. I was sobbing from fear as they wheeled me into the OR, your surgical staff knows how you feel and they will take great care of you. I had my appendix out 10 years prior to my hysterectomy and was basing my recovery off that. I wish I hadn't because my hysterectomy recovery was SO much easier for me. Surgery is stressful, no doubt, but please remember why you are doing it and that you will be fine and just need to make enough time to allow yourself to heal properly. Life is so much better on the other side-I no longer pee every 10 minutes, I have no weird pains at all the wrong times, life is so, so much better for me and I pray you feel peace before your surgery-you can do this! Get all of your necessities within arm's reach (remote!) and pamper away! God Bless and please know that I am sending good thoughts your way.
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM

I've had cysts before on my ovary. They aren't calling this a cyst. With my cysts that I had removed previously it always felt like my inside were falling out it hurt so bad. And they didn't cause much swelling. With this mass the pain is different more like a dull ache and a pulling down when I stood. And the pain isnt constant. And it has me swollen. There are nine different things they are saying it could be. Has to come out right away and the rest because its suspicious for malignancy. But I have a four year history four years ago looking back I was told I had the same thing same place, same size and then a Vag ultrasound came back that it wasn't there that I had a 3cm cyst. So I was treated with the pill and that was that. Now looking back they think this has been there four years, is what has really messed up my lymphatic system the past four years etc. They can't say for sure, but at least if it is the same one its not cancer or I would be dead. Both gyno and gyno oncologist's words. Whatever it is has all my blood vessels, lymph nodes in there swollen. And it has some extra veins running around in there.
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:35 AM

My biggest cyst was only apple-sized, but that was causing a fair amount of pain. A TAH is a pretty routine surgery, and I bet you'll feel a whole lot better within a week or two of getting the football out. Take your pain medicines, have food you like on hand at home and rest.
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:12 AM

Aww I'm so sorry you are feeling so anxious. Try writing down a list of all the good things about what will be good after the op is done. You are being very proactive by having your uterus removed. My experiences in the hospital was very good and the nurses so caring. Tell them you are scared and I'm sure they will help you. Take good care of yourself
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM

I just had a type 8 Laproscopic hysterectomy done a week ago. Which in laymens terms means everything removed but my vagina. In February, I became anemic to the point of needing 3 units of blood transfused, which was the beginning of my journey. Turned out, I had several overlapping problems which many physicians refused to treat. It took months, but I finally found an angel of a doctor who would treat me. He discovered that one of the many problems, was that my uterus was 20x the normal size! Now I'm 1 week postoperative, still sore, but no more worse than the pain I've been living with for years and I've traded uterine cancer for menopause at the ripe old age of 38, lol. I've had several operations and I gotta tell you, by far, this was the easiest!!! In a couple more weeks, I'll be able to drive again. Best part: when they knock you out, it'll be the best nap of your life! : )
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM

You guys really are great. Thanks so much for the feedback. I've been a nervous wreck since I found out the date of this surgery, but am also looking forward to it all being over. The cyst, knowing that it's dermoid, is bothering me even more because I'm familiar with what they usually contain and my doctor says a pathologist will be present during my surgery to find out the contents. Lovely graphic tidbits I wish I didn't know. Yuck - get this thing out!

Thanks again for the positive notes. <3

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.