Pre op procedures | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op procedures Pre op procedures

Unread 01-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Pre op procedures

I am booked for my castle visit on 4 March. I am having a TAH due to a large fibroid. I would appreciate princesses letting me know what pre op procedures are performed for a TAH. I gather a catheter is the norm, shaving? anenema? Finally I must say that I've been visiting this site for the past few weeks and have found the information available, replies and stories to be a fantastic help. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Pre op procedures

Hi Auzroz, you'll find that there is no definitive answer to your question. Each Dr. seems to do things a little differently. The most important thing is for you to follow the instructions that your Dr. gives you.

That said, my Dr. is very conservative. I was on a clear liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery, had to drink the lovely Go-Lytely the afternoon before and nothing to eat or drink after midnight before the surgery. The hospital required no make up or finger nail polish or jewelry (although they would have made an exception with my wedding ring and taped it). I was allowed toe nail polish which made me feel a little better!

I had just a very small amount shaved and it wasn't done until I was under anesthesia. I had a supra-pubic catheter which I went home with and stayed in for 18 days. I had staples which came out after one week.

Please try not to worry too much. I know how difficult it is to be a LIW. But, your Dr. will be sure you get the specific instructions for your pre-op.

Best wishes and s
Unread 01-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Pre op procedures

I just had my LAVH on the 23rd of January and I did give myself an enema the night before, I had a catheter for about 24 hours and no shaving. The catheter came out as soon as I was able to get up and walk to the bathroom. I would encourage you to try this as soon as the nurses say to. I really wanted that thing out of me. It doesn't hurt, but I didn't want it attached to me any longer that it needed to be.

I am now 6 days post-op and I feel great. I just did my first load of laundry (with my 3 year-old's help). I rest most of the day and do one or two little things each day to build my strength. I think that I will be able to return to school next week (I have two night classes) my doctor said I could drive as soon as I was off the pain meds for 3 days. I feel very lucky about how well my recovery is going, but I think a positive attitude can get you through a lot of things. Keep your spirits up and know that everything will work out just fine. I will pray for you to have a successful surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Pre op procedures

I just did my pre-op today. I go in next Tuesday. The preop with my doc, yesterday, was just me asking him tons of questions, which he answered patiently Today at the hospital preop, I just had to go in and answer all the normal health questions, watch a small video about the breathing thing they make you use after surgery to make sure you are breathing deeply, then I had blood drawn and was outta there, was really quick. My doctor gave me my lists to take home, here's all the stuff he wants me to do preop, 3 days before surgery I have a perscription to start, I think it's a vaginal cream to prevent infection, 2 days before I have to put on a motion sickness patch to prevent nausea during and after surgery, 1 day before is liquid diet and an enima ugh, no food or drink after 10pm, shower on day of surgery, no makeup etc, don't swallow water when brushing teeth, don't shave, they will because of infection chances, and show up......
Unread 01-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Pre op procedures

Hi, I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight. Once I got to the hospital pre-operatively an IV was started, Vital Signs were taken, Blood was drawn in case I needed a transfusion, lots of forms needed signing and then my doctor and anesthesiologist came into the holding area to talk to me and answer any questions before being wheeled into the Operating room. Once I was asleep in the OR I was partially shaved and a Foley Catheter was placed in my bladder. Hope this helps....
Unread 01-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Pre op procedures

Hi

My pre-op instructions were pretty basic: Fleet enema the night before surgery, betadine douche the night before surgery and the morning of, and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. In my pre-op appointment, I spoke to my doctor and had an opportunity to ask questions, had my heart and lungs checked, gave urine and blood samples, and met with the anesthesiologist's nurse who went through a very exhaustive list of health questions (for example, have you had this that and the other thing....). The morning of surgery I was taken to my room where I was again asked all sorts of questions (many of them the same as I answered during my pre-op), had my heart and lungs listened to again, and was then taken to the pre-surgery holding area. Once there, I was given an IV of happy drugs, talked to the anesthesiologist about funny things people write on their stomachs before surgery, and was taken in to the operating room about 20 minutes later. Once in there I was asked what I'd like played on the stereo (Led Zeppelin) and we all listened to that while the anesthesiologist sang along (not too badly, actually) until my doctor came in. Then I was out like a light and woke up in recovery! All in all I'd say it was pretty much 100% pleasant and easy

Heidi
Unread 01-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Pre op procedures

My hosp pre op was yesterday for next Tues surgery. My directions were about the same as eveyone else's. I can't have anything to eat after midnight the evening before surgery. However, I may have 6 oz of clear liquid 4 hours prior to my arrival time at the hospital (which is 2 hours before scheduled surgery time). I am supposed to take my regular medication in the morning with a small sip of water. No smoking or alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery (I don't smoke so that's no big deal; I don't drink either, but I thought about making an exception the night before, rats). The good ol betadine douche and fleet enema the night before (yippee, I'm really looking forward to that). Shower with soap and brush teeth the morning of surgery. Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery (wedding ring is ok, they will tape it).

I didn't see a video, but the pre op nurses explained about deep breathing in recovery and trying to get the legs moving as soon as possible, even just moving them in bed is a help. I already knew about the morphine pump and catheter (dr said they'll be in for 24 hours after surgery). They didn't mention shaving, and I didn't ask. I did have bp and pulse checked, also height and weight, then went to the lab and had blood drawn.

When I had my last apt with my dr in Dec she said that was my pre op with her so that's when I got my questions answered, but she calls her patients the night before surgery to make sure they're doing ok and to answer any last minute questions.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to call the hosp the day before to make sure there haven't been any last minute changes with surgery time or time of arrival.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register