HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Da Vinci procedure - position during surgery Da Vinci procedure - position during surgery

Unread 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Da Vinci procedure - position during surgery

I just found out the positioning of your body during a Da Vinci robotic hysterectomy where you are at a 45 degree angle to get feet above head. Did anybody that has been diagnosed with PVC/PACs, heat palpatations from their cardiologist have any issues with this procedure or concerns? I've also read on the internet that this position is tricky in combination with anesthesia, etc.
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Re: Da Vinci procedure - position during surgery

ChrissyW,

A tilted position is very common. It uses gravity to get some of your internal organs out of the way. The degree of the tilt is adjustable so the 45 degrees isn't written in stone. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns, he/she will be taking your individual health and concerns into account.

Unread 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM

ChrissyW,

That is one of the things worrying me too.

At my pre-op one of the nurses told me many patients do well with the position.

see we have the same date. I'll be going through the same thing!

Hang in there. We can do this!
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM

That is the position I was in during surgery. I took it upon myself to see a cardiologist before my surgery because i was having heart palpatations and pain. He gave me the all clear and I was fine during surgery.
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM

southshore, thanks for your response....it's nice to know that others have the same worries. Hang in there as well!!
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM

NicInNC, Thanks for your response! That helps to know that all will be OK and calm some of my nerves.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Me! Not only PVC's but I had severe anemia a couple of weeks prior to surgery so my heart took a hit. HOWEVER, I followed my doctor's orders to the T. I focused on being positive and I laughed a lot. Silly as it might sound, that helped me relax. Even a few hours before surgery (it was delayed by 2 hours) I had my family around me and we were joking around which helped tremendously and kept me calm.

So... everything will be fine. Remember, positive, positive, positive!
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Hi Chrissy!
Don't worry about the way you might be positioned during the surgery. It's all for good reason. The only problem that occurred
to me was that I had all these little red specks all over my face, forehead and neck area. After 2-3 days they all went away. Good luck with your surgery and think it's almost already over with and soon you'll feel so much better. I'm about 9+ months past my surgery time. Just to think that last year this time, I was so sick, weak, anemic, Hemo count so low and also with heart tightness. Now.... I feel great.
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM

I isn't even know I was tilted until I read about it two days after my surgery. I can tell you that I had to have an IV in both arms for DaVinci because anesthesia had to have total access at all times? I'm not sure about all of that but it's on my list of questions for my follow up. Some people say they have shoulder or arm bruising from being strapped in at that angel, I had some upper arm soreness, not sure if that's what it's from...
This doesn't answer your question at all....I just wanted you to know that it's not bad. In fact, it was the easiest and most painless surgery I've ever had.
Good luck! Try not to stress.
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:34 AM

By the way, it isn't only with daVinci that you are tilted head down. I was also put head below my knees for my SAH. This position gets the intestines out of the way so the surgeon can see what he or she is doing.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.