HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Virgin and possible hysterectomy Virgin and possible hysterectomy

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Virgin and possible hysterectomy

Hello, I have a large fibroid that is causing a lot of pain issues. Besides my other health issues and the fact that I cannot take pain meds (I have another topic posted on that) I am very anxious because I am a 36 year old virign. I have read that they make you use an enema and douche before the surgery. Is this necessary or just doctor preference? There is no way I could do either or let anyone else do so for me. When I say I am a virgin, I mean totally. I have never had a pelvic exam or used a tampon. They only did an abdominal ultra sound and not a transvaginal one. I would feel completely violated and don't think I could handle the mental or emotional stress from it. I had an ovary and large cyst removed 8 years ago, but it was when I went to the ER so it wasn't planned and they had to hurry up and do it. It started out laproscopically, but they had to switch to a full open surgery. So I was wondered if it's just a doctor by doctor thing because I had similar surgery and did not have them done. I am very frightened by this and don't think I could go through with the hysterectomy if it was required.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Re: Virgin and possible hysterectomy

Hi,

I understand how scary this must be.

I can state that the pre surgery preparation varies by doctor. I did not have to douche or have an enema for either if my surgery. The impression I have is that most women either just end up on liquids the day before with no prep or drink miralax or some other kit. I had a half lytely kit this round.

You should discuss your concerns with your doctor so that you can work out whatever you need in advance.

Good luck!
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Thank you so much! I feel so much better knowing this. This is my first time seeing a gynocologist too so I don't have a long relationship of trust with her. She did say that she would have to refer me for a davinci hysterectomy due to my complications from other health problems and issues with pain. So hopefully when I meet this other doctor they will be understanding.
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM

First of all, you're not alone in this situation... I have had pelvic exams, but when I started having my female issues, I was petrified of my first D&C for a similar reason, it felt invasive, private, etc. When they had to switch to doing a transvaginal ultrasound, needless to say, I wasn't happy.

I'm trying to get up the courage tomorrow to book the hysterectomy (I've been avoiding it for a month), because I'm paranoid, angst ridden, every description in the book.

At the end of the day, was it fun... no, was it scary, yes, was it manageable, yes. I got through it, and I'll get through the surgery too.

The one thing to be completely honest and up front with your doctor about what you have/have not done. I skirted around the issue with my gyn/onc, because I was a little shy about the subject. I finally flat out stated it, knowing with an enlarged uterus, that it could impact how he tried to remove things. Don't let your doctor be surprised.

Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.