HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post-op - novasure ablation Post-op - novasure ablation

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Post-op - novasure ablation

I just wanted to post my Novasure ablation results since I've seen so many helpful posts on here! I will be as detailed as I can!

To begin with, I'm 42 years old and I have a 2 yr old daughter. Since her birth, my periods have gotten so very heavy. This last period, I passed a clot the size of a tennis ball. I went to the doc. and she did an ultrasound. She said we could go two ways... vaginal hysterectomy or ablation. I mulled it over for a week and decided to go with the ablation. Since my daughter is only 2 and still in diapers, I felt the ablation was the best choice for me at this point, with less recovery time.

I had the procedure on Friday at an outpatient surgery center @ 1:30 pm. I have terrible pre-surgery anxiety, so as soon as they hooked me up to the IV and the anesthesiologist came by, they gave me Versed (sp?) to calm me. Then, I walked into the surgery room and laid down on the bed. They were very caring, let me pray and then put me to sleep. The surgery lasted about 20 minutes. I had a hysterescopy, D&C and then the Novasure ablation.

I woke up in recovery in AWFUL pain. No nausea this time (I'm usually always throwing up post surgery), but the cramps were terrible with a capital T. They gave me some medicine to help. I was in recovery for 30 minutes and then my parents drove me home (my hubby was at work). The doctor told my parents the surgery was a success, showed the pictures before/after. My Mom said it was amazing!

My doctor gave me Percocet and prescription strength Motrin. I am not going to lie here, the pain was awful....awful, awful, awful! Taking BOTH of these drugs, it just knocked the top off the cramps. I had a c-section, so I don't know what really labor pains feel like, but my doc said it is comparable. At any rate, I also used a heating pad and it helped some, but not much. I allowed my parents to just really love on me and take care of me and not worry about anything at all and I'm so glad I did. If you have someone to care for you, LET THEM.... you'll need it! Also, I had very minimal bleeding on day one... mostly pink or brown discharge.

The pain lasted through the night. I took my pain meds all night long and had the heating pad all night long. By Saturday morning, the pain was significantly reduced. As long as I had the pain medicine, it took it completely out! I started reducing the pain meds yesterday and I haven't had either one since about 6 pm Saturday. The discharge was very, very light, almost no-existance on day 2.

Today, day 3, I am PAIN FREE and on no pain meds! I have no pain with movement, nothing. I am still a little sleepy from anesthesia and the pain pills from yesterday, but other than that, feeling great. I basically have no discharge at all today, maybe a spot here and there.

At this point (and I know it is early), I'm glad I had it done. I think I can get out and get back to normal activities tomorrow!

Novasure gets a lot of bad reviews/comments. I'll say that you need to be sure you have a competent doctor and do your research. My doctor does several a month. Also, my doctor said she'd never do these procedures on anyone awake... too much pain. She said she also does all the safety procedures during it as well (going back in and looking with the camera, making sure there is no gas escaping the uterus during the safety test, etc.). She said that if the Novasure wand could not pass thru my cervix (sometimes a cervix has a funky bend), she would switch to Thermachoice. She said Novasure is always her first choice because the success rate of no periods is greater than Thermachoice (75% compared to 50%). Basically... she wasn't going to force it and risk damaging me! Also, you have to follow doctor's orders. She said to rest for 3 full days. She said no bath, hot-tub, pool, sex, tampons, nothing, for 4 weeks and I will abide by this. She said in all the years that she has done Novasure, she has only had 3 people that had the scaring the uterus shut that resulted in hysterectomies. She thinks this will get me to menopause. If it does and I don't have to have a hysterectomy, then I'm so glad I did it!

If you are considering doing this procedure, I give it a thumbs up! I hope this review helps you in your decision!

God bless!
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Post-op - novasure ablation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker8897 View Post
I just wanted to post my Novasure ablation results since I've seen so many helpful posts on here! I will be as detailed as I can!

To begin with, I'm 42 years old and I have a 2 yr old daughter. Since her birth, my periods have gotten so very heavy. This last period, I passed a clot the size of a tennis ball. I went to the doc. and she did an ultrasound. She said we could go two ways... vaginal hysterectomy or ablation. I mulled it over for a week and decided to go with the ablation. Since my daughter is only 2 and still in diapers, I felt the ablation was the best choice for me at this point, with less recovery time.

I had the procedure on Friday at an outpatient surgery center @ 1:30 pm. I have terrible pre-surgery anxiety, so as soon as they hooked me up to the IV and the anesthesiologist came by, they gave me Versed (sp?) to calm me. Then, I walked into the surgery room and laid down on the bed. They were very caring, let me pray and then put me to sleep. The surgery lasted about 20 minutes. I had a hysterescopy, D&C and then the Novasure ablation.

I woke up in recovery in AWFUL pain. No nausea this time (I'm usually always throwing up post surgery), but the cramps were terrible with a capital T. They gave me some medicine to help. I was in recovery for 30 minutes and then my parents drove me home (my hubby was at work). The doctor told my parents the surgery was a success, showed the pictures before/after. My Mom said it was amazing!

My doctor gave me Percocet and prescription strength Motrin. I am not going to lie here, the pain was awful....awful, awful, awful! Taking BOTH of these drugs, it just knocked the top off the cramps. I had a c-section, so I don't know what really labor pains feel like, but my doc said it is comparable. At any rate, I also used a heating pad and it helped some, but not much. I allowed my parents to just really love on me and take care of me and not worry about anything at all and I'm so glad I did. If you have someone to care for you, LET THEM.... you'll need it! Also, I had very minimal bleeding on day one... mostly pink or brown discharge.

The pain lasted through the night. I took my pain meds all night long and had the heating pad all night long. By Saturday morning, the pain was significantly reduced. As long as I had the pain medicine, it took it completely out! I started reducing the pain meds yesterday and I haven't had either one since about 6 pm Saturday. The discharge was very, very light, almost no-existance on day 2.

Today, day 3, I am PAIN FREE and on no pain meds! I have no pain with movement, nothing. I am still a little sleepy from anesthesia and the pain pills from yesterday, but other than that, feeling great. I basically have no discharge at all today, maybe a spot here and there.

At this point (and I know it is early), I'm glad I had it done. I think I can get out and get back to normal activities tomorrow!

Novasure gets a lot of bad reviews/comments. I'll say that you need to be sure you have a competent doctor and do your research. My doctor does several a month. Also, my doctor said she'd never do these procedures on anyone awake... too much pain. She said she also does all the safety procedures during it as well (going back in and looking with the camera, making sure there is no gas escaping the uterus during the safety test, etc.). She said that if the Novasure wand could not pass thru my cervix (sometimes a cervix has a funky bend), she would switch to Thermachoice. She said Novasure is always her first choice because the success rate of no periods is greater than Thermachoice (75% compared to 50%). Basically... she wasn't going to force it and risk damaging me! Also, you have to follow doctor's orders. She said to rest for 3 full days. She said no bath, hot-tub, pool, sex, tampons, nothing, for 4 weeks and I will abide by this. She said in all the years that she has done Novasure, she has only had 3 people that had the scaring the uterus shut that resulted in hysterectomies. She thinks this will get me to menopause. If it does and I don't have to have a hysterectomy, then I'm so glad I did it!

If you are considering doing this procedure, I give it a thumbs up! I hope this review helps you in your decision!

God bless!
I am glad that this procedure may have worked for you. I had the opposite experience with this, along with being wide awake for the procedure (I remember nothing, which is a good thing), the Novasure Ablation didn't work for me (everything was worse -flow using 2 super pads at a time and the pain) so by my 6 month check up I got a second opinion and 4 months later had a complete hystorectomy via the DaVinci method. I hope and pray that you will have continued success
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Re: Post-op - novasure ablation

I'm so sorry it didn't work for you. I am praying it does. So far so good on Day 4. My spotting is nothing now...maybe a spot or two on a pad a day.
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM

I am glad as well you had such a positive experience. I too had the ablation and my body refused to cooperate and the uterus tried to regenerate I bled straight for over a month and was in so much pain. Everyone has a different experience. For me it turned out to be a good thing that my uterus wanted to heal as it prompted my hysterectomy and doc found my inside riddled with endometriosis and fibroids and trapped blood from attempted heal. Glad you are doing well. A positive story is always welcome.
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks Atblount! Fortunately, my 2 fibroids (I think she said they are an inch and have shrank since having my baby) were not on the inside, so that's a blessing.

I could end up with a hysterectomy (honestly, I anticipate it in a few years), but I at least wanted to try this first. I just can't imagine having my 70 year old parents here for 6 weeks (my hubby works and I work from home, so my daughter is always with me) and disrupting their lives to care for me and my very active 2 year old still in diapers. I'm now picking her up with no problems, 4 days out.

I am just praying it continues to go well and really helps. I've had two friends that had it done and they just started bleeding again... after no periods for 6 years.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.