HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Thermachoice Ablation or hysterectomy? Thermachoice Ablation or hysterectomy?

Unread 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Thermachoice Ablation or hysterectomy?

Trying to decide which option is best... My history... I am 35 almost 36, I've had 2 c-sections my son in 2000 and my daughter in April 2012. With my daughter I also had my tubes tied. I have a tilted uterus, and 3 small fibroids at the top front of my uterus. I also had a tubal pregnancy that went to 10 weeks and regular miscarriage at 6-7 weeks before my daughter was conceived last August. Since my daughter was born in April, my bleeding has been horrendous. I go through a super tampon and super pad every hour for the first 5-6 days and slowly lighten up and my entire cycle lasts 10-12 days. I pass numerous clots some quite large. I have extreme cramping, pain, and the pains sometimes shoot down my legs and bring tears to my eyes. I typically get about 10 days off from bleeding and it starts all over again. I am anemic, even on iron supplements (65mg a day, 130 mg during my cycles usually) and my iron count is at 10.0 (12.0-16 is norm). I had a fluid filled cyst removed from my vagina just 2 months ago as well. Fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, all run in my family, both sides.

Doctor is pushing Thermachoice uterine balloon ablation, but says if I choose hysterectomy he will do it as well.

My concern is 2 c-sections, tubes tied, fibroids and extreme cramping is the ablation safe? Many of my friends who've had it eventually ended up having a hysterectomy anyway. Why do 2 procedures if hysterectomy is inevitable? My ovaries are ok, waiting on the biopsy results for cancer screening, and ultrasound is scheduled for Tuesday. But I don't want to have a procedure that is not safe, may not work, and is just putting off the inevitable.

Anyone have similar stories or info to share?
Unread 10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Re: Thermachoice Ablation or hysterectomy?

I went straight for the hysterectomy as it seemed like I would evidently end up having one anyways. Something to consider is whether or not you have the time to recover. The average person is off at least six weeks of work. Of course you have others who go back to work earlier and some stay off longer. I mentally prepared myself for not working for the longest amount of time. Best of luck with whichever procedure you end up deciding on.
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyc1106 View Post
Trying to decide which option is best... My history... I am 35 almost 36, I've had 2 c-sections my son in 2000 and my daughter in April 2012. With my daughter I also had my tubes tied. I have a tilted uterus, and 3 small fibroids at the top front of my uterus. I also had a tubal pregnancy that went to 10 weeks and regular miscarriage at 6-7 weeks before my daughter was conceived last August. Since my daughter was born in April, my bleeding has been horrendous. I go through a super tampon and super pad every hour for the first 5-6 days and slowly lighten up and my entire cycle lasts 10-12 days. I pass numerous clots some quite large. I have extreme cramping, pain, and the pains sometimes shoot down my legs and bring tears to my eyes. I typically get about 10 days off from bleeding and it starts all over again. I am anemic, even on iron supplements (65mg a day, 130 mg during my cycles usually) and my iron count is at 10.0 (12.0-16 is norm). I had a fluid filled cyst removed from my vagina just 2 months ago as well. Fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, all run in my family, both sides.

Doctor is pushing Thermachoice uterine balloon ablation, but says if I choose hysterectomy he will do it as well.

My concern is 2 c-sections, tubes tied, fibroids and extreme cramping is the ablation safe? Many of my friends who've had it eventually ended up having a hysterectomy anyway. Why do 2 procedures if hysterectomy is inevitable? My ovaries are ok, waiting on the biopsy results for cancer screening, and ultrasound is scheduled for Tuesday. But I don't want to have a procedure that is not safe, may not work, and is just putting off the inevitable.

Anyone have similar stories or info to share?
I just had a hysterscopy, d&c and novasure ablation on Friday. For me I have a 2 yr old and I just couldn't see me being down for 6 weeks. My mom and sister both had hysterectomies and I will probably end up with it one day but I at least wanted to give this a shot. So far so good. Be sure to do tons of research and find out how many your doctor has done and success rates. My doctor was pro ablation for me as well but said she would do the hysterectomy if I wanted it. I think for me it just came down to what I can do right now to stop heavy periods and little down time. I've had a good recovery so far (I'm on day3). I pray u make the right decision!
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM

I had almost the same exact symptoms as you and almost the same history except my daughter was born when I was 20.

I had an ablation in November 2010. The pain I had after my ablation ended me back in the emergency room. I asked the nurse to kill me if he couldn't make the pain go away. They never figured out was wrong, but I have suspicions that they almost blew out my Fallopian tube.

For the first 5 months I was cool. No periods, could hardly tell when I was cycling etc etc. then I started to get cyclical pain in my back and pelvic area. Never any bleeding though. It got worse and worse with the back pain there all the time. And then 2 months ago started to get a lot of pressure almost like I had to walk around it like pregnant women do after the baby drops. Then I ended up in the er in excruciating pain. My dr kept telling me I was fine... Nothing wrong that it was just my endometrosis. I went fr a 2nd opinion outside my insurance group. He did an ultrasound that showed the ablation had caused scar tissue in my uterus that made a pocket trapping fluid in my Fallopian tube (because my tubes were tied) and it **** near exploded.

So given that you have a similar history and symptoms as I did, I'd say go straight for the hysterectomy. I'm only a week post op but I feel so much better already.
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That is exactly what I'm scared of. I ha my ultrasound yesterday and confirmed endometriosis and adenomyosis (sp?). And also uterine polyps. Still waiting on the biopsy results. But hearing your story makes me feel even more confident in choosing a hysterectomy instead of the ablation. Thank you again for sharing! It's been a great help of info!
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Pattyc, I had Thermachoice Dec 2011 and daVinci supracervical hyster 10/18/12, kept ovaries. Anemic from bleeding. Started period mid July and has continued with brief breaks until last Thursday, surgery. Pain minimal since surgery. Day I had appt to discuss hyster, went thru 3 overnight maxi in 1-1/2 hr. Had I known...would have gone straight to hyst skipped ablation. I'm 54, ablation doc should have provided better guidance. Diff doc for hyster. Good luck with your research.
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM

I had the Thermachoice Ablation for clotting and fibroids in 2003.. yes it did help my migraines diminish and no bleeding.. however.... i am full of scarring in my cervix and now have "an area of concern" in my uterus and again.. more fibroids! I'm having a DaVinci hysterectomy on December 14.... I probably would've gone right to that even 9 years ago.. so now I still have no idea what this area is.. is it more scarring? Is it cancer? I failed a sonohysterogram and a hysteroscopy as NOTHING can get through the concrete cervix. I can't have a vag hysterectomy as my cervix is immovable....
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM

OMG!!! How awful!!! I hope they can figure out what the "area" is. Thank you for sharing. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope all comes out ok!!
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpotato12 View Post
Pattyc, I had Thermachoice Dec 2011 and daVinci supracervical hyster 10/18/12, kept ovaries. Anemic from bleeding. Started period mid July and has continued with brief breaks until last Thursday, surgery. Pain minimal since surgery. Day I had appt to discuss hyster, went thru 3 overnight maxi in 1-1/2 hr. Had I known...would have gone straight to hyst skipped ablation. I'm 54, ablation doc should have provided better guidance. Diff doc for hyster. Good luck with your research.
Thank you for sharing. Seems they new to do more research before doing these ablations. Glad you were able to finally get relief and surgery went well! Heal well!!
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Here are a few things to consider. A hysterectomy is not a risk free surgery and it can't be undone. Though statistics can be in your favor, some of us are the very reasons those statistics exist. Trust me, it is not pleasant to have hysterectomy complications and mine weren't even close to being the worst I have seen here on the site.

An ablation may not be the best option for adenomyosis. You should also know that neither a hysterectomy nor ablation treat endometriosis. If you have endometriosis in the picture, you need to find the most skilled surgeon you can find as it can persist following any surgery. To learn more about endometriosis, check out our Endometriosis Information page which also includes a link to the Endometriosis Resources where you will find some adenomyosis information and a link to our Endometriosis Support forum.

My best advice is a second opinion before you make any decisions.

The women here at HysterSisters.com do tend to have a higher rate of ablation failure as we are a hysterectomy website, but that does not mean that most ablations fail. In fact, statistically speaking most ablations turn out well.

We also tend to see a lot of women with a wide variety of hysterectomy complications, but that also doesn't mean most women have complications following a hysterectomy. Again, we are a hysterectomy website so women who have questions may land here. Those who are doing well may never even do a web search for hysterectomy as they are simply enjoying life with their friends and family and have no need of an online support group.

You are doing the right thing by doing some research to help you determine what is right for you! I wish you all the best!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway