HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How fast does Mag Citrate take to work, freaking out! How fast does Mag Citrate take to work, freaking out!

Unread 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
How fast does Mag Citrate take to work, freaking out!

I am still freaking out about the bowel cleansing. Mostly because I will have my son. I have to drink 10oz of mag citrate at 2pm then again at 5pm then do an enema before bed if anything is left. My son goes down for a nap around 2pm. Then is up around 4:30 which leaves me 2 hours until my husband gets home.

How fast does the magnesium citrate work if I take it at 2? a friend told me eventually you are cleaned out but you keep getting painful cramps and it wouldn't be good for my son to see me like this. He is 3. I am dreading this more then the surgery right now. How bad will this be?
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Re: How fast does Mag Citrate take to work, freaking out!

Compared to a colonoscopy prep, it's easy. It kicks in from 1-4 hrs and I really never had much cramping. Just be right near the bathroom. To me it was just not bad at all. Drinking the stuff was worse than the effects, but still not that bad. It isn't enjoyable but not like having food poisoning or being sick. The anticipation was worse than the event. Good luck.
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:06 AM

It wasn't bad for me where I was running to the bathroom but I definitely felt like I should get there. Mine took a few hours. Maybe prepare by putting some random toys in your bathroom(s) and when you go take him with you. I know not ideal but we have to make due when there is no other alternative. Other than that is there someone who could watch him for a bit?
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:56 AM

The worst part is drinking it! Yuck! The Bm is not that bad . I did wear a depend just in case. It started working around 3hrs for me. I did have to do a enema to.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM

I do mine Wednesday and they told me to put it in the fridge and drink it cold. Much easier to get it down. She also told me to drinks LOTS of water which will help the process. She also tok me jello, water, tea anything you can see light through is good and will help the process. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Once mine kicked it, that's all I did every fifteen minutes for four hours. Mine was pure water. I never get backed up so I was very loose. Bum was so so sore, I used "tucks" it burned for 30 seconds then felt fine! Godsend!!

But I was wiped out that night. If at all possible, have hubby come home early and bring dinner for little one, u will be in potty alot, then tired.
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM

For me took 10 mins I drank bottles of water after each other and I went and went 6 hours mostly water. And my stomache gurgled til next afternoon but it wasn't horrible I used wipes and tucks too after awhile.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.