HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

For sisters who had prolapse repairs too-sex question! For sisters who had prolapse repairs too-sex question!

Unread 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
For sisters who had prolapse repairs too-sex question!

Are you on full pelvic rest (i.e. no orgasms) or just nothing in the vagina for XYZ time?

Just wondering what the norm is. My dr is very lenient on restrictions. Told me I could resume light wt lifting at 4 wks despite all the issues I've had. She also said I could have sex in 2 wks (which would be today). Hell no! I am still shedding stitches and my repaired episiotomy is not healed. She didn't even want me to come in to check any of this before giving me the green light!

I have zero interest in actual penetration at this point but my hormones are definitely trying to balance out as I've definitely been feeling more sexual.

Did anyone's doctor say anything about orgasm? Mine would say it is fine since she ok'd penetration but the last thing I want to do is ruin any repairs at only 6.5 wks post op. I see some surgeons have restrictions until 12 wks. Some even have lifting ones for 6 mths-1 yr when you add bladder suspension.

Sorry if this is too blunt or TMI! Hubby and I were talking about it today and told him I'd look into it!!!!
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Re: For sisters who had prolapse repairs too-sex question!

Hi again Bode,

I'm here to support you on this and add my very early experience. I only had the bladder sling as you know. I did not ask about pelvic rest, but had to say I cheated my "orders" 1 time before being released today Happy to say, just an external "O" was fabulous. I did cramp a little bit, but no more than I already was. Ibuprofen took care of it.
I did see my gyn today and she said I was healed beautifully and that my hubby would be a happy boy I will let you know how that goes later I am 5 1/2 weeks today.

I understand with your stitches and unhealed repairs, not wanting to even think of penetration, I wouldn't either. But have to say, non penetration "hubby" time was great too.

HUGS BODE...call your Drs office and ask if external play time is safe or okay.
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info!! I will call tomorrow. I'm having tons of milky white dishcarge (TMI)--watery, not at all like yeast so I should probaby call tomorrow to see if my dr has any thoughts.

Will postpone the non penetration fun until I talk to her!

How is the bladder?
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Urologist put me on a prostate medicine...yes prostate LOL. It is supposed to help with flow, which will help with the amount of retention and will hopefully improve here PDQ!

I saw your other post as well, it sounds like maybe you have an infection of some kind. I know you may be sick of your Dr, but did you call them? If you do have an infection, it's not going to help you heal very well.

Would like to add some encouragement that hubby time was wonderful. A little bit of spotting, but it stopped and wasn't concerning. I so hope you heal soon so that you can get your life back
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM

When I googled some of my bladder stuff, it was crazy that 90% of what came up was prostate related! Hoping the medicine helps. Are you still having issues or are they resolving? Are you able to get out and about normally? Any spotting or is that gone since you have been declared healed?

YAH for wonderful post op sex! That is AWESOME With the stuff coming out of me and the unhealed vaginal repair, I won't be having it for awhile. Ugh. It's been FOREVER. We tried the week before surgery but I couldn't due to pain and being preoccupied with the upcoming surgery.

Anyhow, my dr is out today so the nurse suggested airing out the area and taking the Diflucan I have at home. I will call back Monday. She also suggested wearing a mumu if I had one! ????? I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

I went to my daughter's TG pagaent last night and had to take a Vicodin to sit. I got swelly belly so badly and it HURT despite my being on this new low fiber diet. I'm really getting frustrated w/ all of this but what can I do other than wait for things to settle down?

Grrrrrrr...................................................................................
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Everytime I have tried to research my bladde, all i get is male problems....hello, women have bladders too. I have only taken the med once, so we will see if it helps. I think my bladder is slowly healing on it's own, it's just not emptying all the way now hence the prostate medicine.

Diflucan won't hurt you, hopefully it will help with the discharge. An maybe that discharge does mean some sort of healing is going on.
I can't believe your nurse actually said mumu....really?? I would go with a long night gown or a long light weight comfy dress. The idea is to let the area open to the air, unless you can lay sprawled in bed naked all weekend, but you might have to send the hubby away to do so
Are you using ice packs for your episiotomy repair? If you don't have one, the soft gel or beaded ice packs you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens, are great for this. You can sit on them comfortably. And can you take ibupofen? Vicodin is great for pain relief, but does nothing for swelling. If you can, try taking up to 800 mg every 6 hours. It helps greatly with swelling and inflammation.

My spotting has completely topped. That ended about 4 weeks postop, except for badder spasms, but that doesn't count as discharge. At least until hubby time the other night. I spotted for about 12 hours after that, which I expected. I think my hubby forgot that my cuff is not my cerix and it is not quite ready for that depth. (sorry for the tmi) could feel the tenderness a few times, so I'm sure that's what it was.

When you talk with your Dr on Mon, I would still ask about external stimulation and what is allowed until you are healed completely. Obviously, you may want to wait until the discharge stops, but I would ask. Ironically, my bladder flow was a little better after hubby time the other night. I found that I missed that time with my hubby al,ost as much as he did. I did also notice how much pain I had been in for so many years. I'm pretty sure that this part of our lives may just be fabulous after complete healing has taken place.

I just know you will get there too, but you had very extensive repairs done and you need to heal from that. Try not to be so hard on yourself about healing, that is something you just have to do. Do you have anything you can count as a truelly positive part of all this that you can hold onto for now? I saw you had regretted doing this, but I am curious if you are feeling anything positive yet?? There has to be something. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't think there was, but I started trying to find the positive and it seems to have helped.

I understand the growling, you can growl at me whenever you need to to help get you through this.

HUGS Bode..hope to hear back from you soon. Hang in there Dear Lady.
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Thank you for your message and your words of encouragement! I need them today

I will most likely have to go in as soon as my doctor can fit me in the schedule. The discharge seems thicker so I am wondering about an infection. I took a Diflucan last night so perhaps that will do the trick! But I am very itchy and burning--in hubby's boxers so that'll have to do as my mumu--heehee!

I have not really found much to be positive about regarding the actual procedure. All of the intestinal problems have been very surprising. Because they cut my uterus away from my bowels, it makes sense. Nobody knew they were stuck together before the surgery so I understand why there was no discussion regarding this kind of thing. However, I anger them when I walk around and when I eat anything. The low residue diet does make it easier to eat but I am still hunched over with spasms in my intestines.

My bladder function is almost normal! I am grateful for that. It is hard to tell if the bulging from the prolapse is better because I am still swollen. I am afraid of most anti-inflammatories because they negatively impact the stomach. Same with Vicodin. I will ask my surgeon about this when I go in next week. There has to be some sort of intestinal spasm medication that they can try. Ive grown used to discomfort over the years but this is pretty extreme because I can barely leave my house. I am missing out on many activities with my children and work opportunities. As a realtor, Im successful financially based on actually doing hands-on work, not laying around at home.

Anyhow, it has to get better and I am trying to be positive. Today is can unusually bad day. I did not sleep well last night and everyone was up early this morning. I'm feeling guilty for laying around most of the time while DH does everything else. I know he is exhausted and none of us expected the original 2 to 4 week recovery time to extend this long. I knew I would be sore for months but did not expect to be almost nonfunctional at over seven weeks post op.

I am so glad that your bladder seems to be healing. The medicine will probably bump that along just a bit! Super exciting that you can be intimate without pain. The spotting sounds normal and I'm sure as the weeks go on that vaginal cuff area will be able to take a little more action :-) And yes! I completely relate to missing that intimacy. It definitely is a cornerstone for many relationships as it is emotionally and physically bonding.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and I promise to return in a much more positive mind frame. I think looking at the same walls for seven weeks has driven me a bit mad!
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM

I would go for the checkup but I wanted to alleviate your fears, if possible. My doctor said not to worry about that discharge, that was the stitches dissolving.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM

My doctor was quite specific - try not to even get aroused until the stitches have healed - 10 -12 weeks!!!!! She pointed out that the rectocele repair will last far longer if it is given good time to heal and then sex will be even better! She said that in the scheme of things 12 weeks was only a short time and I would be grateful to her in the long run.

However - she doesn't happen to be happily married to a husband who still makes my knees go weak. We are managing though and he is doing a lot of jobs round the house and garden to make him tired!
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the additional feedback! I did not have a rectocele repair but did have my bladder suspended (hopefully way up high where it will stay and never come down for a visit again!!!). This recovery has been hellish so I will ask my doctor when I call about a possible infection tomorrow.

I can see how things need to "set" and stitches need to dissolve though before orgasm. Everything moves/tightens, etc. and that could potentially be disruptive.

I'm really uncomfy w/ a possible infection-episiotomy repair and intestinal spasms so the idea of this has taken a back seat. We haven't even been cuddling because my hormones have definitely been active

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.