HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me! Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me!

Unread 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me!

Dear Fellow Members,

My name is Heather and I'm 29 years old. I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me in regards to my medical enigma. Sorry if this is a little long I'm desperate for any suggestions!

I've been extremely sick for 3 years straight now. It's been emotionally physically mentally exhausting. My symptoms are: extreme stomach distention, horrible pain in lower abdomen, a sensation that my intestines are being squished, another sensation in which it feels like th ere is nothing to hold in my lower abdominal organs in place (feels like there is no barrier or netting) and I can feel what I think it my intestines and such pushing against my abdominal wall and insane pressure with that, along with pelvic pressure and pain, as well as nausea, lack of appetite, lower back pain, stomach feels extremely heavy, constipated at times, and even when I'm not I still feel constipated. Symptoms are everyday and it's much worse when I get my period. I have a very poor quality of life.

The only time I feel good is if I take stimulant laxatives or be on a liquid diet.So I don't feel the pressure and pain.

The surgeries I've had are appendix and gallbladder removed, liposuction, and exploratory surgery to check for adhesions which they found nothing.

I don't meet the requirements of IBS, My blood work has been fine, x rays and 2 CT Scans that showed I was constipated and a redundant colon was noted. I had the smart pill test and gastric emptying test all were within normal ranger. Anorectal Manmetory normal too. My SITZ marker test - all 24 rings had passed but on the last x ray of the test it showed I was constipated in the sigmoid colon.

Which brings me to a defecography I had done at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio - which is the only thing that showed anything. My surgeon first looked at one of my films and told me I had a Grade 3: descent of my redundant sigmoid colon into pelvis. She stated it wasn't bad and she's seen Grades up to 6? She said she wanted to take another look and would call me.

When I received her phone call she said she completeley disagreed with what the radiologist reported. She offered me a temporary illeostomy bag to help with pain or I could do mind over matter? This didn't make any sense to me.

I didn't feel right about the whole thing so I called the Clinic and requested the actual report from the radiologist. I received it the other day and to my suprise in the findings and impressions it said;

Findings and Impressions:

1) 50 % residual after evacuation
2) Large Rectocele - 4 cm
3) Rectal Intussuspection: Intra-Rectal
4) Perinal Descent - from 6.4 cm below to 7.5 cm below the pubococcygeal line.
5) Sigmoidocele - Grade 3

I also want to note my surgeon DIDNT give me the barium swallow to test me for enterocele! Upset after traveling miles and going through all that.

I was extremely surprised since my surgeon didn't tell me all of this and I can't believe she offered me an illostomy bag? And I don't get how she totally disagreed with the radiologist!!!! I'm upset and confused.

Has anyone had this? Do my symptoms align with what was reported? How can I be tested for Entrocele without a repeat defecography? Are there any other tests? Can these be fixed? Especially perineal descent? Which type of surgeon corrects this? Pelvic or Colon surgeron? Any recommendations on who to see?

I'm a powerlifter/bodybuilder and I've been telling many doctors and surgeons I've lifted heavy amount of weights. They kept telling me I had body image issues, blamed in on my past eating disorders, and told me it was in my head. I lifted 14 plates of 45lbs on a leg press on a weekly basis - I'm assuming I've ripped the fascia. Sadly. I didn't know any better.

Thank you for listening, it means the world. It really does!
Heather
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Smile - Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me! Re: Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me!

Hello Heather. I dont have any experience of some of the issues mentioned in your post other than the pelvic pressure, which for me, was a vault prolapse which brought on a rectocele and cystocele. I knew nothing about either of them at the time, no symptoms other than difficulties peeing when the prolapse had descended. I saw a gyn who referred me to a urogyn, has anyone mentioned seeing one to you? You are obviously struggling and very stressed by everything that is happening to you, its a very difficult and unseen problem, sending my good wishes, please get some more help soon, second and third opinions if necessary, you can get there xx C
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Re: Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me!

Hi Heather and

Unfortunately most of us women were never told that heavy lifting could do so much damage to our internal organs. I don't lift weights but do lift my special needs son and used to do so repeatedly. Now I only lift him when I am alone at home with him.

I recommend you see a reputable urogynecologist who specializes in pelvic floor repair. It seems your current surgeon is not taking your pain seriously and it sounds like the radiologist has diagnosed some serious prolapse issues.
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Hello. Heavy lifting does seem to be a re-occuring issue that can lead to various pelvic problems, not actual weights for me, £100 coin bags originally and then followed over the years various other activities that we do as part of our daily lives, plus 2 over 9 pound babies. Please keep us posted about how you are getting on with everything, this is an amazing site, the ladies are always supportive to each other, has helped me enormously to know its not just me. X C
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM

What are the dangers of a barium swallow test?
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM

You need to be evaluated by a urogynecologist and possibly a colon-rectal surgeon. The defecography report lists several things that could be causing the symptoms you are having.
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Thank you all for replies ! I am grateful for your suggestions and all your caring support.

After I faxed the radiologist my surgeon called me to speak to me so that we are on the same page. She did confirm that I have all of these prolapses. she said as for the pelvic descent that there's nothing you can do about it. She wants me to see a urogynocoligist for a pelvic exam. She said if the urogynocoligist visually sees an enterocele or rectocele - she will repair it. But she says if it's not falling out and I don't have symptoms she said it's best not to repair it. And the Sigmoidocele is grade 3 and she offered a sigmoid colon removal or removal the colon. She said she couldn't promise it would solve the intense stomach pain and pressure that I feel in my lower abdomen.

Question - is it necessary to repair the rectocele? Did surgery improve your quality of life? The surgeon wants to the least amount of cutting but I've tried everything and I'm in extreme pain everyday. I say fix it all! Oh and yes weight lifting attributed to it.

Looking forward to hearing from you all! Thank you heather
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Grade 4 rectocele? If the urogyn agrees with this I would repair it. My quality of life is much better with the rectocele repaired.
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Heather,
I am having several procedures next weekend for uterine, bladder, vaginal, enteral, and rectal prolapse. I had traumatic forceps delivery. I can relate to your symptoms. I have rectal pain and pressure every day. It is so bad during my period and ovulation time I sometimes have to lay down. My Dr. Said my uterus is heavier during menstruation and cause the pain to be worse. I am finally having surgery because it is affecting my quality of life. Please see a reputable uro-gyne who specializes in pelvic floor issues. Best of luck!!!
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Rectocele,Sigmoidocele, Perinal Descent - please help me!

Good luck with your surgeries! You are in my prayers! I just received a letter from the radiologist today who said he stands behind his interpretation and findings. He also had his collegues look at it and they agreed to. I just don't get why on earth my surgeon is so hesitant to fix my large rectocele and grade 3 redundant Sigmoidocele that us telescoping into itself. I don't get it! Aren't I a good candidate for surgery? I can't live in pain like this I have no life! The surgeon is willing to cut but she doesn't want to operate on anything.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.