HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

surgery 26/11 surgery 26/11

Unread 11-30-2012, 03:56 AM
surgery 26/11

To all my fellow Hyster Sisters and those to soon be Hyster Sisters

I had my TAH on Monday and I now feel well enough to give you an update on how things went and to thank you all for your messages of support.

Firstly, the op. I was soooo nervous when I arrived at the hospital that I started crying when I was shown through to the waiting area (big wuss I know). A kindly nurse put me and my husband in a separate room away from the other patients so that I could have some privacy.
The anaesthetist then came to visit us to talk about the best methods. He did offer a spinal block rather than a general but in light of my nerves, he and the consultant decided to use a combination of both. With the spinal block, I would get better pain relief and would not need to be as heavily sedated. Therefore, I should feel better after the op. The consultant also came to see us to go through the procedure. Again, he was very good with me.

I was taken down to surgery at 9.20m. The porter who took me down was sympathetic, but tried to be humorous and reassuring. I then went into the pre-theatre bit where a nurse got me comfy on a chair and went through all my details such as name, dob etc. Again she was very pleasant and tried to get me talking on various subjects.

Then I was taken through to the anaesthetic room. There was the anaesthetist who I saw earlier and three nurses, one of whom was a student nurse. They immediately stated asking about me and what job I did etc whilst putting the needle thing in my hand and sticky pads on my chest and back. When I said I was a lawyer they all went quiet and the anaesthetist came over and said you didn’t tell me that Jo! Are you happy I have gone through everything with you! I laughed and said don’t worry, I don’t do clinical negligence. I do Wills and Probate which is why I am so afraid of hospitals. Most of my clients are either dead or dying! This made everyone laugh and they then got me in a position to do the spinal block. I leaned forward while he put it in, which to be honest wasn’t that painful. I asked the student nurse if she would promise me I wouldn’t’ die and to look after me and give me a hug which she did. Then the anaesthetist spread some cold stuff on my back and said I would now go numb. I felt a warm flush spreading from my waist down. This panicked me and I said please put me to sleep, I feel weird. The anaesthetist then said ok, Ill give you some gin and tonic and that was that, I was asleep.

I then clearly remember waking up as someone called my name as I was being wheeled out of theatre to the recovery room. I also clearly remember saying wow, I didn’t die and asking them if it had all gone ok and whether my bowels had spilled out everywhere (this must have been the drugs!!). They were all laughing and the consultant came up to me and said it all went well an that he left both ovaries in and that he would speak to me later. I remember looking at the clock and it was about 10.50.

About 11.20, the recovery nurse said well your blood pressure is now better than mine so do you want to go back to the ward to which I agreed. I was wheeled back by the same porter who I joked with saying how pleased I was to be alive!”

Back on the ward I was fitted with a morphine pump and fluid pump etc. I was in no pain at all and completely relaxed.

The consultant came and told me that they had removed my womb which had one large fibroid and some smaller ones too and a polyp. My ovaries also had some endometriosis on which he had laserd off. He said that all should be ok from now on. The womb would go to histology for checking, but he didn’t expect there to be any problems and would write to me with the outcome.

I will summarise the rest.

• Morphine made me itch so I used it sparingly.
• I didn’t take all the drugs they gave me as my body was not used to it and made me sick. Once off morphine I coped with paracetamol.
• Being sick after an ABH is a painful experience.
• The trapped wind after is worse that the post-op pain. Take some mint tea in to drink constantly after to help reduce this. Walking around really helps.
• The first time you sit up after an ABH you will see stars so do it slowly and bend your legs. It does get better.
• I went in on the Monday and came out Wednesday eve.
• Recovery at home is better.
• I couldn’t reach round to wipe my bum.
• Nurses are not like those on Holby City. They are kind, but do not fuss over you which was a little disappointing.
• Don’t expect to eat much.
• Don’t have too many visitors on day 2 – this is the worst day
• I am now on day 5 and emotionally I feel fantastic. Really, really positive and can’t wait to get back to my life.
• Physically I am still sore and my back hurts a bit, but each day is an improvement.
• I do not think for one moment that sex or orgasm will be an issue. I am having kinky thoughts already.

I went into this op thinking I would die and fearing the worst. Ok, the post op pain does hurt, but 5 days on and I know with absolute certainty that it was the best thing I did.

Now that I am good, I will probably not use this website any more. However, I will most definitely recommend it whenever I can and I remain so grateful to the website and you all for all the support I received.

<Email address removed for your privacy and security: HysterSisters is a public site>

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.