HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

TAH at 26 and had to fight for it! TAH at 26 and had to fight for it!

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:19 PM
TAH at 26 and had to fight for it!

So here I am at 26 happy mommy of 2 beautiful boys, and experiencing hell!

It all started shortly after I had my last son in 2010; he was born in March and after finding out I did not qualify for the Mirena, and pills/patches/shots upset my body, I decided to have a tubal ligation. Thought I was good to go from there!

Well instead my hell started - I started to have no break between periods, pain was awful, fatigue, medical issue after medical issue. The life I was living was as if I was 66 yeards old, not 26. I couldn't enjoy life with my sons, I couldn't work with my horses, all I could manage to do was work (which was normally hard) and try my hardest to play mommy at home.

Come late 2010, I finally went to the OB/GYN at this time, I decided to use a new OB/GYN due to insurance changes. He immediately did a pelvic exam/pap/ultra sound, came back my endometrium was 3x it's size and I have cysts in both ovaries. He explained ablation and other procedures that were possible. Well the worse came, he decided to move on to another state. Had to change OB/GYN again.

Obtaining records was hell, found a new Ob/GYN started the process ALL over again, horomonal treatment that made my bleeding worse, ended up in the ER thought I was bleeding to death, nothing could stop it....so next thing I know by July 2012 I had a D & C done; which after my procedure, my OB says "you never would have stopped bleeding if we didn't do the procedure" - oh I felt great (sarcasm)! 2 weeks later,she tells me they found polyps and fibroids, but that my case was nothing to worry about, but my uterus was also the size of a 6-8 week pregnancy. So I did as she asked I tried the horomonal treatments again, again made me bleed profusely, she then recommended me to another OB/GYN as she was retiring and no longer performed major surgeries. So here I go again, meeting the new OB/GYN, we discuss options, he talks abilation and hysterectomy. (mind you I have not had a ultrasound since 2010), I opt for the TAH as I no longer wish to have kids, and now here I am bleeding straight for almost over a year, I was done. All I could think was TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL! So we scheduled the TAH for October 4th, 2012 - then insurance hit me, and the hospital hit me, my company had just changed insurance companies and my deductible went from nothing to $3,500 - so yes needless to say, couldn't afford $3,500 down to start surgery, so my new OB/GYN decided to put me on the DEPO shot to help stop the bleeding until I could afford the surgery, within one month of the DEPO, I was sitting at work and BAM! The pain was so over-whelming! I immediately left work, called my OB-GYN and was advised to go to the hospital, they drugged me up, gave me a medication to try and stop the bleeding (never works), and then gave me pain pills; went home, got no sleep; and went to work the next morning, to only immediately leave and call my OB/GYN as the same symptoms were back, the unbareable pain was throbbing/stabbing/aching, if I didn't know better, it felt as if I was having contractions that were lasting a life time.

They immediately gave me Percocet in the ER,15 minutes later, not working, another Percocet 10 minutes later still not working, They put in an IV and here comes the Daludin, finally WORKS! Explain to the new ER doctor what transpired the night/day before, and he admits me after ordering an ultrasound. My OB/GYN is contacted, and guess what?!? It's Friday, November 9th, 2012 and he just left for vacation, so we knew then, I was definately stuck in the hospital until atleast Monday!

Monday arrives, I am currently on Morephine and Delaudin to fight the pains every 4 hours, but the drugs were wearing off every 3 hours, and on top of that, they were pumping me full of antibiotics and fluid. 18 pokes later and 8 IV's Total, my arms looked like hell! Everytime a IV/Vein blew, I was currently on Doxycycline, god it was such a mess, it burned like crazy, had huge bumps all over from the veins blowing but the system still pumping! Finally late Monday afternoon, my OB/GYN (the one that I last saw to schedule surgery) arrives, he barely speaks to me, and orders an MRI, I thought he would speak to me later that evening after the MRI, instead Tuesday comes, and he doesn't show until 4:30 PM and informs me that they noticed a large Fibroid and an abdominal hernia. At this point I am still in pain and completely confused as there is still no solution. He leaves.

Wednesday arrives, my doctor never shows, I only see the house doctor to adjust my pain meds. He increses morephine to every 2 hours, around 4:30 PM I finally call his office, demanding to know something, the MRI results, something.... I'm sitting in the hospital all drugged up with no where to go and nothing to know. His nurse informs me he will be back at the hospital after 5:00 PM and will stop by my room to discuss. So I get relief that he's finally coming.

5:30 PM, OB/GYN arrives, with the snottiest attitude,he says to my husband and I "You need to have the hysterecomy, but I do not have time for you, you will need to schedule the hysterectomy for after thanksgiving, you should have had this surgery when first scheduled, it's not my fault you had insurance problems" - I loose it crying, I don't know what to do, I'm on morephine and it's barely taking the pain away. My mother and father walk in, and I demand he tell them what he told me. With my 2 son's sitting there, we all kept our composure. Once the Dr. left I demanded to see a hospital representative or Administration, anyone! I got the 3rd floor woman in charge and explain what happpen. Pleading for help, she contacts EVERYONE in charge.

Come Thursday I had several visitors from Hospital staff, and a GENERAL SURGEON, he comes in with his intern, looks over all records, and says "You need this surgery, I heard what happened, he is our only OB/GYN here in this hospital, I will speak with him, but do you want this surgery, and if so, is tomorrow at noon ok?" - I immediately siad "YES!, we can do it now if you want" He comes back later and explains that my OB/GYN is now on page with him and they are doing the surgery together. I completely do not care who does the surgery, I just wanted the pain to stop, I wanted to live my life!

Come Friday morning, Prep starts and at Noon, I am taken in for surgery! Come 4:30 PM I am back in my room, drugged up and done with the TAH.

Saturday evening, I go home. :-) Couldn't wait to get out, the ride home was unbearable! specially in a lifted up F250 that bounces like crazy! UGH!

But that's my crazy story.... there are some details I left out, but for the most part you should get the picture :-)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.