HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hot flashes but I still have one ovary? Hot flashes but I still have one ovary?

Unread 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Hot flashes but I still have one ovary?

Hello Ladies,
I am 2 weeks post op from TVH, I kept my remaining ovary (other ovary was removed 1.5 years ago) and I think I'm having some mild hot flashes - anyone else experience this??

I am 38, so I don't think it is time yet for natural menopause, and I am not on any medications or hormones (other than pain meds and vitamins).

I'm usually very cold, lots of blankets, sweaters, etc - but now I go through periods of being very hot, to the touch (my kids notice how warm I feel) , wanting no blankets at night, opening windows, being slightly sweaty...

Am I going crazy or is this possible? Thanks!
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Re: Hot flashes but I still have one ovary?

Don't worry, you aren't going crazy!

Sometimes the ovaries go into a state of shock and go to sleep for a bit when we have surgery. It's normal & not uncommon. When this happens, we get all the fun menopause symptoms. The plus side, its usually temporary. If it doesn't resolve itself on it's own, talk to your doctor. They can give you hormones that will 1.) help you until your ovary wakes up and 2.) help wake up the ovary

Hang in there!
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM

I had horrible hot flashes for 2 days about5- 6 daysafter surgery havent had anymore since then .. Yet fingers crosssed
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Charli73, my Tvh was 11-15 same exact thing happened to me on week two of recovery. Hot flashes off and on all day for three days in a row. Now there gone. on week 4 had a little mini hot flash lasted 5 min. Haven't had one since. I do notice when I am upset or anxious they come but they don't stay as long as before.
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Dont worry it just temporay! I had mine after 2 weeks post op. Its on and off for 3 weeks for me and sometimes I wake at night soaked in sweat. But its gone now
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Oh I like the sound of that!
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Same here and I'm 12 years out. I have one ovary remaining, too. No flashes for the first couple of years as the ovary woke up soon after surgery or never went to sleep to begin with. However, for some reason it failed a few years later and would try to come back online, but never did so consistently-- then it petered out altogether. I had to begin HRT.

It's believed that blood flow is disrupted during surgery because of the clamps, etc that are used to clamp off the ovarian and other blood vessels and prevent bleeding. It's kind of like having an arm or leg go to sleep. Once the blood flow comes back, the ovary or whathaveyou usually wakes back up. But sometimes the flow is compromised and the ovary doesn't fully awaken right away-- or it's intermittent.

We can't say in my case that it's totally a result of the surgery, and I might have gone into premature ovarian failure at some point, regardless, so don't let that scare you. The point is, it is something that happens sometimes, where the ovary just doesn't quite perk back up. You aren't alone! As veggiegal said, your doctor can help out with some HRT that can sometimes reawaken a sleeping ovary if it doesn;t awaken on its own in a reasonable time. Meanwhile, there are many great tips here for dealing with HF's and other menopause signs. If your ovary does perk back up, you can think of this time as "practice" for when real menopause does come along. Technically, you are sort of in MP now if the ovary is truly asleep... but it might only be temporary.

~Wheels

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.