HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Night Sweats; Overhang ?? Night Sweats; Overhang ??

Unread 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Night Sweats; Overhang ??

Hi everyone- nice to e-Meet you. I'm trying to find something on here specific to the issues I'm going through, and any ideas on how to help would be appreciated. I'm 49, had TAH 3 weeks ago for a large fibroid uterine tumor wrapped around my small intestines on November 15. Kept my ovaries. Overall recovering well, even back to work part time, and walking about a mile a day. A couple of things bothering me - one is terrible night sweats - wake up completely soaked through the sheets even (didn't have this before). This happens every night, and if I get up and change, it happens again before I wake up in the morning. I end up freezing, even though covered with blankets. Any ideas for relief? Also, how long does the 'overhang' over the abdominal scar last? I had a little bit of abdominal fat, but never had this type of roll before. Thank you all so very much! Maria
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Re: Night Sweats; Overhang ??

Hi Maria, nice to meet you!

I don't know anything about the "overhang," but I can give you some advice on the night sweats.

I have been having them something fierce since my surgery too & I also get them during the day. Sometimes, during surgery, our ovaries go into shock and go to sleep. It is not uncommon. It can take a bit of time for them to wake back up and start working again, if it goes on too long, contact your doctor and they can give you hormones to nudge the ovaries into working again.

in the meantime, this is what I have been doing:

I sleep with a fan in my room, that helps a bit. Also, before I crawl into bed at night, I layer a few blankets on top of my bottom sheet. Then, when I wake up, drenched in sweat, I just take off a blanket, crawl back into bed, and go back to sleep. The next time it happens, same thing, just take off a blanket. Then the next day, I wash those blankets up (or hang them, whatever you prefer) and put them back on the sheet before bed. That way, I'm not up for 1/2 hour stripping the bed, putting new sheets on, etc. Part of why you are getting so cold is from the sweat evaporating off your body and then laying in damp bed.

I also sleep in just a cotton t-shirt and underwear. The past few nights, just a sports bra and underwear.

It's miserable, but temporary. Hang in there, it will get better!
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Re: Night Sweats; Overhang ??

Thank you so much, I love the idea about the blankets!! Much appreciated!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.