HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Scarring after Da Vinci surgery Scarring after Da Vinci surgery

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Scarring after Da Vinci surgery

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for my Da Vinci surgery on Dec. 12th & my only concern is scarring afterwards. I understand that there will be only 4 small incisions ( at least that's what my doctor says they're small) but could someone give some feedback on just how minimal the scarring is? And what would be a good product to buy to help reduce the appearance of the scars.? I know every body is different & it will depend on how you take care of yourself post op, so any insight will be helpful. Wish me luck....I know I will feel so much better!!!
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Re: Scarring after Da Vinci surgery

I am also having the Da Vinci on the 12th, I had a laparscopic gall bladder removal which was three small incisions, I do have scars but only one is noticable to anyone who looks, and they really have to look...I however can see all of them, but I think it is also because I know exactly where they are, They are not HUGE or anything, just little 4-7mm scars.
Don't know if that helps, oh and I never used anything to minimize the scars, but they do make stuff ; ask your doctor which to use. Good Luck!!!
Honestly feeling so much better is worth the little scars to me
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM

I can barely see mine. I did have a very small infection in 1, but it cleared in 2 days with double antibiotic ointment. That one is barely visible too. I am a catalog model and by the time I shoot the 2014 swimwear line, (May 2013), no one will know. Scarring a not been an issue for me.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM

denden86 - I had DaVinci surgery resulting in five small scars across my abdomen, plus a larger scar near my pelvic bone (I wanted to keep my cervix, so that's where everything came out). I used two things (after the incisions had closed up), both of which I would recommend. I started with Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil (with Cocoa Butter + vitamin E). It was then suggested that I try ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets. You have to used them for a couple of months - and they're not cheap - but I was able to cut them up because my scars were much smaller than the sheets (2 sheets covered my 5 small scars and 1 larger scar). You can buy both products at any drug store. I got mine at Walgreens. My scars look way better now.

Good luck with your surgery!!
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM

My stomach looks like a road map of stretch marks from having two huge babies decades ago, so I'm just gonna call my 5 DaVinci scars "rest stops." Lol :-)
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM

I have 5 very small almost invisible scars. I used Vitamin E cream that was OK by my doctor.
I'm with Happycakes....between 3 c-sections and a gall bladder huge scar I now have 5 "rest stops"!!!!!!
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM

I had DaVinci on June 1st. I also have 4 incisions and they are tiny. Probably 1/2 inch or less. One off to my left side, one in my navel, and the other 2 are very very low, one on each side. I kept my cervix so everything came out of these tiny incisions, its awesome to think all of that came out these tiny little holes. I think scarring depends on how they close the incisions also. Some doctors use stitches, some use staples, mine used glue....so there was no additional damage to the skin. I am 6 months out and you can baerly see them, if you didnt know they were there you would never notice....and I didnt use anything on them at all
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks Debbie! I will definitely ask my doctor what she suggest me using to minimize the scarring .
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM

@Sap1978- good luck with your surgery as well & thanks for your feedback....and I must agree, feeling better will be worth a little scarring!
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks Petrified & good luck with your catalog shoot next year!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.