HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vaginal hysterectomy, cystocele & rectocele vaginal hysterectomy, cystocele & rectocele

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
vaginal hysterectomy, cystocele & rectocele

Hi,
I met with my surgeon in July and decided we would do a partial hysterectomy and bladder repair. I am a school teacher so I thought it might be best to have the surgery over the holiday break.

I met with him again in November and scheduled the surgery for the first week of December. This would be helpful so I wouldn't have the two weeks of break to plan.

The anticipation was killing me. I had never had surgery and had to plan for my classroom. I was thankful when the weekend before surgery came. I could go shopping for a new robe, pajamas, and some new cute slippers for the hospital. :-) I decided to take off the Monday before surgery and it was a great idea. I got my house cleaned, and somewhat organized,

Tuesday was bowel prep day. UGH! My surgeon likes the "go-litely" version. I had to drink that gallon jug of gross stuff all day. I started at 9a.m. and finished my last cup at 2:00 pm. I was on the toilet every 10 minutes and my bottom was so raw. Thanks gosh I read on this website to buy baby wipes.

Next mornining, surgery day. I arrived at 5 am and got checked in. I was soo embarassed when the nurse said I had to have a fleet enema. I thought how can there be anything left.

Surgeon came in and checked in with me and said we were just waiting for the anesthesiologist. I guess the original Dr. couldn't make it. So at this point we were running late.

Off to the surgerical room. The anesthesiologist mentioned that he was going to give me an epidural. I had an epidural with my son and it wore off in the last stage of labor. I told him this and he didn't seem too concerned.

A few minutes later they injected anesthesia and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room quite groggy!

I was soo lucky when I realized I had a private room. Wow! How did that happen? The rest of the day was pretty uneventful dozing off and on.

Around 4:30 p.m. I started to feel some pain. I kept wondering, if the epidural had worn off? I was also very itchy and couldn't keep the oxygen tube in my nose. It was making me crazy.

Around 7:30 p.m. I really started noticing the pain and the itching was out of control! The nurse was acting kind of strange, but finally gave me benadryl through my iv and a lortab.

Around 11:30 p.m. the night nurse came in to check on me. I told her I was starting to feel uncomfortable and itchy again. She said she would look at the orders. She said the pain meds were cut off at 12:00a.m. no more narcotics. I could only have motrin. At this point I burst into tears. How was I going to make it through the night with motrin. To make a long story short at around 1:30 am. she called the anesthesiologist and he was not happy. He told her I could have some tylenol and more benadryl. So that's what I got and made it through the night with barely any sleep.

The next morning I spoke to my surgeon and found out there were some mistakes. The anesthesiologist also came and talked to me.

What I found out was that either in recovery or during the day I was supposed to be given demerol and phenedren with helps with the itching. (from the duramorph epidural) I was not given either! There was no documentation if I was or was not given demerol. I guess they don't want to give too much.

Thank Goodness the anesthesiologist answered his phone or I wouldn't have been given tylenol.

So the rest of the day I was given motrin. They removed my catheter and wanted me to get up and get walking. I finally felt the urge to go to the restroom and the first time it didn't work, but within about 30 minutes I was using the restroom.

This was quite painful and a SLOW process. I was finally discharged around 1:00 p.m. I was never so glad to be home.

Recovery has been good and I have been so thankful to this website! I had my post op appt. today and my pathology reports came back all good.

Overall, it has been good. Thankful that I am healthy.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway